Zubb

Jumping back in the pool

Seems like it had been forever since Jim and I had got to ride together.  At least a year I think.  So I threw out the idea of going Friday, so we both cleared out the schedules and left my house about 9:30 or so in the rain.  I warned him this would be my first "legitimate" ride off road since the clavicle repair, and the penalty he'd have to pay if he took me too far into the weeds would be he'd have to lift my bike.  Fair enough.

I really like Pine Valley.  It's got enough character to the primary trail to give you something to do beside just gaze over the handlebars at the countryside.  So I was surprised when just after we crossed the cattle guard he took a hard left into the bushes.  In fact I had to skid to a stop and back up to follow the hidden track through the brush. 

OK, game on.

We rode single track up in a clockwise loop back to the road and the further south took a hairpin right, onto another singletrack.  As many of you know, the rolling track has just about all the fun components packed into a cow trail for miles and miles.  Loose rock, embedded rock ledges, lots of ruts . . . in fact the primary trail itself is often a peg deep rut about the width of a couple rear tires or so.  Keep your toes in boys and don't get sloppy. Seemingly endless numbers of blind sandy chicane like corners.  Overhead high bushes that make it impossible to see more than a few yards, often less, especially in the corners.

For me, first gear is too twitchy, 2nd gear smoothes things out and keeps you rolling up, over and through stuff.  Just gotta stay focused to keep it in that narrow track.  That 1250 motor is absolute magic at happily pulling you up the trail at the very bottom of second and third.

Very few pics on this day as there isn't a lot of places to easily get a kickstand down.  But I snapped a few where you could at least know you'll be able to start without spinning.

IMG_0566.thumb.JPG.cfa1bf4dd86177a8aa17ffd3c4e680db.JPG

IMG_0568.thumb.JPG.6ae84241c55aad9653d275fdf412d078.JPG

IMG_0570.thumb.JPG.883bb6b20f6a63eeb6eeff7cfdc95a04.JPG

Here's a low angle log hop.  Jim was smart and put his right foot on the log (that's overhanging space).  I on the other hand put my right foot down on the dirt just before it.  Only to find it began falling away down the little cliff.  This is never a good thing seeings how it doesn't take long for the bike to lean far enough that you need to abandon ship.

IMG_0572.thumb.JPG.20f7661ee18c98eb74b90d46c05de174.JPG

The solution of course is often to just GO.  So I did.

And just ahead, finally, I nice spot to take the lid off, drink some water and catch up on the nitty gritty of what it was like for him in Albania last month.  Pretty amazing to hear the backstory of what really went on that week at the Trophy.

We climbed around on some rock..

IMG_0579.thumb.jpeg.6a206d27c1c35cde89c71133b5a5de5d.jpeg

snapped a couple pics...

IMG_0576.thumb.JPG.ea888e85878aa609103d28cdaff3872b.JPGIMG_0575.thumb.JPG.56a1d09b1b0cf51d03e1768f17861482.JPG

And rode until I was completely gassed.  Mid afternoon we were stopped for water and 4 riders on 2 strokes came ripping up the trail that of course we were blocking.  We hadn't seen another soul out there all day.  The lead rider kills his engine and says "is that Duplease?"  Turns out 3 of the 4 were riding Pro globally and the fourth just got back from 4 months of riding Idaho and Canada.  so we had a great time talking and cooling off a bit.

Later, out at the trailhead they were all sitting around there trucks and we spent another half hour of so just talking bikes and Idaho, and good moto stuff.  Super nice guys.

Jim and I hit Discanso Junction for lunch and then railed back to town so I could shower up and meet Barb with some friends for the evening.  But just before going into the house I looked back saw this.

IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.217a80ab131292f963e86c0df7f8acf0.JPG

I don't have many pics of the day, but I do have a reminder of just how tight the trail was with miles and miles of branch ducking, brush grabbing the handlebars, and scratching up the windscreen.

Better the screen, than my arms and chest all day long.

Good stuff!  I'm pretty rusty, but can't wait to go back.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, cj54x said:

That's a pretty difficult area for big bikes.

First time I've ridden it.  Jim Duplease rides it often on his 1200GSA, and we've been trying to coordinate schedules to go ride it together.  But yeh, I wouldn't expect to see many big bikes on that single track.  It definitely worked me.  But Jim's a whole 'nother level of rider.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zubb said:

First time I've ridden it.  Jim Duplease rides it often on his 1200GSA, and we've been trying to coordinate schedules to go ride it together.  But yeh, I wouldn't expect to see many big bikes on that single track.  It definitely worked me.  But Jim's a whole 'nother level of rider.

From the first 3 pics looks like he broke you in on that sweet little section on the left at the start

Edited by crfxer

yes.  As you know, it's full of surprises.  I'd like to run it a couple more times and get to know it better.

• Like 1

I'll start a collection to put some GoPro's on your bike next time, I'd love to see those battleships dancing through the singletracks!

9 hours ago, bfar33 said:

I'll start a collection to put some GoPro's on your bike next time, I'd love to see those battleships dancing through the singletracks!

You are hereby annointed treasurer of the GoPro fund.  Have at it my friend.  We can plaster those bugs all over the bike and rider, . . . but you'll have to edit.  Because editing video sucks all the joy and life out of riding motorcycles.  

8 hours ago, MacDuncan said:

Well done Zubb, glad to see you out and about again!

McD... you never stop by to see me anymore.  I'm starting to feel like chopped liver.  😂

Would love take a local tour with you soon as you have a way of connecting trails to make for interesting days.  Maybe Nov/Dec?

Thanks Zubb, rode by a few times, but you were likely out and about.  Been cruising around and had some great rides in Mammoth recently.  But...  regardless of the bike, I am excited for the "cool" season so I can drop down Interstate 8, Banner, or Montezuma and roam around the deserts. See ya soon (Hmmm, maybe today as I might wander just beyond Warner. :). Kudos to you and  tntmo and others who organized a noob ride/overnight!  Well done!

It’s all Tom. I’m just running sweep on this frat party. 

Regarding rain - Toms right. He’s done it all, seen it all. 
I’ve been around the block a few times myself and experience tells me rain in San Diego is pretty weak compared to the real world out there. I’m expecting a really good time. 

34 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

Thanks Zubb, rode by a few times, but you were likely out and about.  Been cruising around and had some great rides in Mammoth recently.  But...  regardless of the bike, I am excited for the "cool" season so I can drop down Interstate 8, Banner, or Montezuma and roam around the deserts. See ya soon (Hmmm, maybe today as I might wander just beyond Warner. :). Kudos to you and  tntmo and others who organized a noob ride/overnight!  Well done!

We need a Mammoth RR with pics as proof!!

• Like 1