Pokey151

Soboba Trail Ride Feb 26, 2023

Anyone doing this?  I've done the last 2 events and its amazing single track riding with options of black diamond (expert) sections, but if you stay the main course, I would say it's a intermediate trail.  500cc or less unless you are freak.  It's some of the best riding in So Cal IMO.

https://www.sobobarides.biz/home

This is not a race, its just a big event to get the privilege of riding pristine single track on a reservation.  If I can remember correctly, the course it roughly 32 mi.  You can do as many laps as you want but cannot leave for another loop after 12 pm.  Some people pack beverages, pull over, relax and enjoy the break.  Others want to challenge themselves.  I would highly suggest trying it if you never have.  

I may have a spare (loaner bike 2005 CRF250R) as a loaner if someone wants to try it.  I am currently rebuilding it along with a bunch of money invested in the suspension

Here is a video of a guy to takes the advanced sections. At 14:40 is the hard section, don't be intimidated by the hard sections.  You don't have to take them.   

If anyone signs up, lets link up for a group ride

• Like 3

Street legal bikes or anything?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tntmo said:

Street legal bikes or anything?

No plate required

• Like 1

I signed up on Thursday. Crossing my fingers for a little rain the day before the event!

• Like 1

Did it last year was epic conditions zero dust or bottlenecks but was a little short for us only took couple hours

• Like 1

I did a part of it on my 1150 GSA, fully loaded by mistake and ended up in custody from the tribes security guard after reaching the baseball field. 

I took the wrong turn from bee canyon to Idyllwild. 

It's a good Adventure story. 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

I did a part of it on my 1150 GSA, fully loaded by mistake and ended up in custody from the tribes security guard after reaching the baseball field. 

I took the wrong turn from bee canyon to Idyllwild. 

It's a good Adventure story. 

You have to be careful about that.  When you reach the old house on the hill, and the hot springs in the adjacent canyon, you shouldn't go any further.

12 hours ago, dirt dame said:

You have to be careful about that.  When you reach the old house on the hill, and the hot springs in the adjacent canyon, you shouldn't go any further.

You tell me that now. 2 late

Udo, come home. Go on the Noobs camp out with us, and tell the story  around the campfire. 

5 hours ago, Zubb said:

Udo, come home. Go on the Noobs camp out with us, and tell the story  around the campfire. 

I am on my way and think about it. 

I legit signed for this one. 26FEB2023. Back story a guy I know asked if I was doing the ride and implored that I ride the 2023 version. I told him I did the ride 2x once long ago that I signed up for properly and once a couple years back that myself and unnamed individual did as "poached" ride. We showed up late morning grabbed some red dots from quitters and rode the loop.

I did not know that this guy is one of the course managers and part of the ride org...........needless to say I promised him I would legit sign for this year. And I did.... so 2023 is on the calendar.

Looks like one of the 3 tests (loops) of the Tecate Enduro...............some good examples of weight your peg or pegs moments.

Edited by robertaccio

On 10/9/2022 at 6:15 AM, bfar33 said:

I signed up on Thursday. Crossing my fingers for a little rain the day before the event!

Well,  The extended forecast is calling to 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches on the 26th (day of the ride)  Should make it extra interesting.     

hemet.JPG

idyllwild.JPG

Edited by Pokey151
  • Like 2

All in All weather attack. another test for my most excellent Husky products Gotland WP Enduro Jacket!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

All in All weather attack. another test for my most excellent Husky products Gotland WP Enduro Jacket!!!

I just mounted the Dunlop MX14 on the rear a couple weeks ago. Looks like it’s staying on for that ride.  My apologies for anyone behind me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PUMPED!!! 

I've been waiting less than patiently for it to come back and have basically modified my YZ450F specifically for this ride. Did it in 2020 with @Pokey151 and will do for this week. 

You see a Yamaha with #350, that's me!

LET'S GOOOO!

20230212_115138.jpg

Edited by Rjg967
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

I just mounted the Dunlop MX14 on the rear a couple weeks ago. Looks like it’s staying on for that ride.  My apologies for anyone behind me

super scooper!!  

• Like 1

Brilliant day accomplished what I set out to do. Challenge the course and myself. Old guy hard trails. Did all the BD and DBD trails. I was with a group at the start  but my brain really needs to just go so I just went. There were some good sporting sections for sure. Traction was overall super good. One short DBD section had me working solo for a while and the only other real "stuck" was a deep rut to the left coming out of a flowing water stream bed ride down the rocky stream (which was super cool). I had to pull my bike outta that one , no real issue, but I did save 2 guys coming up behind me directing them to a better line out and up! 

I was a little careful at first and even a bit scared on the wet and muddy rocks, but as usual my tire choice (Michelin FIM Enduro Mediums) is best for all conditions and the older worn mousses helped as well. My tune setting (all my enduro performance off the shelf mods) on the GP Motorcycles Husqvarna TE300i are optimum as are my mixed suspension settings from top tier locals Suspension 101 (Shock full boat) and Crow Performance Suspension (Forks full boat)

Edited by robertaccio
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, robertaccio said:

Brilliant day accomplished what I set out to do. Challenge the course and myself. Old guy hard trails. Did all the BD and DBD trails. I was with a group at the start  but my brain really needs to just go so I just went. There were some good sporting sections for sure. Traction was overall super good. One short DBD section had me working solo for a while and the only other real "stuck" was a deep rut to the left coming out of a flowing water stream bed ride down the rocky stream (which was super cool). I had to pull my bike outta that one , no real issue, but I did save 2 guys coming up behind me directing them to a better line out and up! 

I was a little careful at first and even a bit scared on the wet and muddy rocks, but as usual my tire choice (Michelin FIM Enduro Mediums) is best for all conditions and the older worn mousses helped as well. My tune setting (all my enduro performance off the shelf mods) on the GP Motorcycles Husqvarna TE300i are optimum as are my mixed suspension settings from top tier locals Suspension 101 (Shock full boat) and Crow Performance Suspension (Forks full boat)

Way to go Rob! I'll make sure to mark on my 2024 calendar!

• Like 1

This was by far some of the most challenging riding I have ever done. Ended up taking two of the BD/DBD trails, including that god-awful three quarter mile long uphill mud run. That overheated my bike twice and overheated myself at least twice. Luckily no lasting damage. I was about ready to call it after that but kept going. The first 15 miles were very challenging, very slick Hill climbs and downhills, ruts as deep as your foot pegs (actually got stuck once on my pegs). After that it was wonderful flowing single track that I wished would go on forever. According to my watch, the total course was 32 mi and average moving speed was 12.4mph and my average heart rate was 145 with a high of 190. did almost the whole course in first gear on my YZ450.

Cannot wait for the next one!

Does anyone know if there are similar rides to this in California or nearby? I need MORE!!!

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

20230226_072405.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rjg967 said:

This was by far some of the most challenging riding I have ever done. Ended up taking two of the BD/DBD trails, including that god-awful three quarter mile long uphill mud run. That overheated my bike twice and overheated myself at least twice. Luckily no lasting damage. I was about ready to call it after that but kept going. The first 15 miles were very challenging, very slick Hill climbs and downhills, ruts as deep as your foot pegs (actually got stuck once on my pegs). After that it was wonderful flowing single track that I wished would go on forever. According to my watch, the total course was 32 mi and average moving speed was 12.4mph and my average heart rate was 145 with a high of 190. did almost the whole course in first gear on my YZ450.

Cannot wait for the next one!

Does anyone know if there are similar rides to this in California or nearby? I need MORE!!!

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

20230226_072405.jpg

What are the details on that trailer? Congrats on the ride!

• Like 1

BTW I kept my eye out for the #350 bLU cRU bike but never spotted you. Sometimes/mostly I ride in my head and have that freakin Goggins on my shoulder cursing my slack, so I keep pushing. 

PS choose your own poison, but for years I have used Evans sport, non-aqueous coolant for years now. low pressure, super high boil point, Samco hoses, CNC pump impeller for a bullet proof cooling system. for an addition a cooling fan kit can help as well (I never use one). 

• Like 1