padu

Sedlak Offroad School - Oct.2.2022

Me and a couple of other people here attended the Sedlak Offroad School Adventure class last Sunday, on their new Campo location. It was a blast! Highly recommended. Daniel and Edgar are very knowledgeable and not only teach you the fundamentals of off-road riding, but also focus on training a body position that promotes endurance.

I found myself making a lot of mistakes when I'm exhausted or with a massive arm pump. Using the technique that they preach helps me to be less tired on long adventures, and therefore making less mistakes. 

Now, here's an interesting fact: I think I counted about 15-20 adventure bikes on the class... not one was a BMW... 2 Ducatis (yey!!! I'm not alone!), a lot of KTM's, T7, KLR, and even a Moto Guzzi! The market is really changing.

image.thumb.png.82f7217941e1b47c63357f0ff7c97609.png

image.thumb.png.d3d9d3003187f0c8c9bd720b861137c7.png

image.thumb.png.f98921b4cb829f2e0e5a1ced81cb87d2.png

• Like 3

Ducati is hitting the ADV world hot with that Desert X! I thought as of last year they were going to run hard at BMW with the Multi. I expected them to bullet proof it a little more and reinforce the subframe.   This DesertX seems like a way better idea. 

37 minutes ago, Zubb said:

Ducati is hitting the ADV world hot with that Desert X! I thought as of last year they were going to run hard at BMW with the Multi. I expected them to bullet proof it a little more and reinforce the subframe.   This DesertX seems like a way better idea. 

Yeah, they are very attuned to the market segmentation - the big big bikes (see the new Multi Rally) for longer trips and the more nimble adventure bikes that are more capable off-road.

I wouldn't be surprised if BMW is currently working on a new and exciting model for that middle weight category.

I love when manufacturers compete!

@padu  I've been to a couple of Sedlak sessions.  My first one was a Day in the Dirt...to get the basic's for riding off road, then an ADV class (down in Otay).  They got me ready for my trip in Alaska.  With Edgar's help, my trip was successful (I stayed upright).   I'm interested in the new site - what they have going on.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, padu said:

Yeah, they are very attuned to the market segmentation - the big big bikes (see the new Multi Rally) for longer trips and the more nimble adventure bikes that are more capable off-road.

I wouldn't be surprised if BMW is currently working on a new and exciting model for that middle weight category.

I love when manufacturers compete!

Me too.  Ducati beat them to the punch.  The germans should've had a 750/850 rally(ish) bike out years ago.  Yami's T7 was a great step in the right direction, but still not a bike most ADV travelers want.

I'm looking for long term reviews on your bike.  I'm thinking it could be the (closest to) unicorn for 500+ mile days on pavement, to get to the good and dirty stuff.

6 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Five Hundo Days,  That is funny. 😬

$399 actually, not bad compared with everything else.

It's a matter of personal opinion, but I prioritize investing in skills over parts.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Five Hundo Days,  That is funny. 😬

And that, my friend, is why I love the big bikes.

@padu, is that the R80 or the R40 on your bike?

Edited by Zubb

Five Hundo,  Is about a decent days travel,,,,in my truck.  💁‍♂️   Like any bike ride, the luxury of checking out for that period of time is why we do it.

I checked the mileage to Flagstaff, 478.  About 8 hrs with stops for me. After that the reactions tend to ossify.

Re: The class.   Formal training is time well spent. Other people see what you don’t which gives you a better perspective.

Edited by Bagstr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zubb said:

@padu, is that the R80 or the R40 on your bike?

R40... I bought the 40 because I wanted to travel light - but now I'm packing for a 5 day trip to Baja, and it REALLY forces you to travel light... I'm not sure that I like that 😬

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Five Hundo,  Is about a decent days travel,,,,in my truck.  💁‍♂️   Like any bike ride, the luxury of checking out for that period of time is why we do it.

I checked the mileage to Flagstaff, 478.  About 8 hrs with stops for me. After that the reactions tend to ossify.

Re: The class.   Formal training is time well spent. Other people see what you don’t which gives you a better perspective.

Ha!

Sorry for not being up to speed on the lingo... I thought you thought it was $500 for the class 😳

I feel dumb now

• Like 1