KTMrad

San Diego Off-Road Coalition Meeting This Tuesday !

Maybe some of you can show up ?

Subject: SDORC October meeting Tuesday! / President's Message

on.jsp?ca=9d8dc341-85be-43d3-a4e1-29c8b1
S.gif
S.gif
https://files.constantcontact.com/0508da79001/17a7daaa-67b8-4654-8b4f-2392570edab4.png?rdr=truea=1134911662280
S.gif

SDORC October meeting Tuesday!

Just a reminder the October SDORC general membership meeting will be Tuesday the 4th. It will be held at Ranch House Restaurant in Santee at 7:00 p.m. We will be discussing topics of interest to all off-roaders.

Everyone is welcome! We encourage you to support the restaurant. Many come early for dinner, bench racing and socializing. For directions go to www.sdorc.org/meetings.

Don't forget the Smuggler's Glutch clean-up October 15, and the clean-up Valley of the Moon October 16. Details can be found on the SDORC website calendar

President's Message

Since this was written, Governor Newsom vetoed bill SB894, the bill to allow former red sticker motorcycles to obtain titles from the DMV.

Short items

The Mojave Trails National Monument (MTNM) planning process has begun and we are participating with a keen eye on preserving the maximum route network for OHV. We participated in a meeting recently where we discussed the process. Routes will be decided by the BLM Western Mojave and Desert Renewable Conservation Plans in conjunction with MTNM.

The Blu In Café will be having a swap meet October 22 with spaces only $20.
The Cleveland National Forest has asked for help lining the kids practice area with hay bales (really rice bales that don't introduce invasive species). The area is at the back or northwest side of the Corral Canyon campground. If you have a kid with a small ATV or motorcycle, you might want to spend some time there.

Silverwood Lake is just east of I-15 along Cajon Pass in San Bernardino National Forest. There are lots of forest routes around it, but for street legal vehicles only. There have been reports of side-by-sides driving around the area and there was a recent planned police action that resulted in over 100 tickets being written. If you operate a side-by-side, make sure you do it in an area not requiring a street legal vehicle; authorities are paying closer attention.

There is a travel management project going on now in a BLM-managed an area of Moab known as Labyrinth Rims/Gemini Bridges. If you know the area and wish to comment, get your comments in by October 7 here.

Observed Trials

I was recently invited to a meeting with the San Diego Trials Riders. The club had been in decline and is being resurrected. I rode trials for years and always enjoyed the friendship and riding. Trials is the friendliest form of motorcycle competition I have ever experienced. With my agency experience I offered to help the club with permits for events they host. For more information, look here.

Lost Lizard

We are getting a ton of pre-entries for the 2022 Lost Lizard Fun Run (https://sdorc.org/fun-run-2022). Now is a great time to enter. Pre-entries get quick signup, a discount and your shirt right there. Pre-entry ends October 14. Our base camp will be right off Huff Road just north of Wheeler Road at The Dip. No driving down the long dirt road. This is our big fundraiser that gets us through the year, so please join this super fun event.

ROV

Recreational Off-highway Vehicle (ROV) is a term used to describe side-by-side vehicles, also known as Recreational Utility Vehicles (RUV), or Utility Terrain Vehicles (UTV). There has been some trouble with them lately; so much so that California State Parks held an ROV safety summit to work on solutions. The problems are irresponsible driving and some tragic accidents. An extensive group of leaders convened in Sacramento to work on solutions. Our VP Audrey and I flew up for the day to help out. We just happened to travel with Steve Quartieri from Ocotillo Wells and talked about the park. At the summit we found people from Parks, BLM, National Forests, CHP, manufacturers and nonprofits. This was the first time a lot of us have seen each other in a while. We discussed the issues and a variety of solutions. I honestly thought we would get farther than we did. I was hoping we would hone in on items that could be put in a state bill next year, but I don't really see that happening now. We will stay engaged in this important subject and when I'm on my motorcycle, I will be extra careful.

Bills

The good news is both bills we are interested in have passed out of both houses and are with the governor now and likely to be signed. The bad news is that SB894 was amended at the last minute. This is the bill that would allow what were formerly red sticker dirt bikes to get pink slips. The bad part is enactment was pushed out to the year 2027. This is because the DMV says they are getting a new computer system and it will take that long to set up the new program. It stinks, but we will have to live with it.

Miscellaneous

We have narrowed our search for a lobbyist down to one person and we are working out a contract. We will announce soon who we will be with.

I went riding in the desert the day after that huge monsoon came through. We had wet sand and no dust at all on Superstition Mountain. This was my first late summer monsoon ride and I hope to have more in the future. Enjoy the upcoming desert season and hope to see you at Lost Lizard.

Ed Stovin

S.gif

S.gif
S.gif

Edited by KTMrad

UPDATE !

Subject: SDORC October meeting UPDATE!

on.jsp?ca=7c4409af-1b1e-407d-9938-a34139
S.gif
S.gif
https://files.constantcontact.com/0508da79001/17a7daaa-67b8-4654-8b4f-2392570edab4.png?rdr=truea=1134911662280
S.gif

This just in!

We just got word that Ocotillo Wells senior staff will be speaking at our meeting this Tuesday October 4. If you have any questions or concerns about the park and the way it is managed, this is your chance to ask.

Don't miss it!

S.gif
S.gif