SpaceCowboy

Help needed! 2005 ktm 250 smoker

2005 ktm 250 exc two stroke with no spark. The mechanic said it needs a cdi but they’re not available new so he sent me home and told me to go on eBay. So far, 2 separate cdis from eBay don’t work. I’m wondering if it’s a connector issue or something else. 

Does someone have a running 2005 ktm 250 that I can swap a cdi into to test mine? 

furthermore, I know some of you are better mechanics than I am. Anyone have time to help trouble shoot? I’ll pay fair market rates, plus beer if wanted

I have a KTM 250 two stroke in the garage, I think it's a 2003.  We can see if it works for you.

Always start with checking the ground connections. And on a bike with no key, that the Kill switch is clean and the contacts are open. Wiring that has rubbed or pinched can short to ground. Any fuses popped?

It is just physics, not magic.  You will get it.  😎

• Like 1

Worst comes to worst...there are companies that can repair some CDI's. 

Did you get this figured out?   I pushed the bike out, it fired up in two kicks.  Love a 250 2 stroke!

• Like 1

KISS keep it simple- check all grounds, check kill ground- disconnect kill system, verify spark wire, verify spark cap, verify plug, verify stator. check ground plane engine to chassis as well. etc etc

This could turn into a  Good class .

Now I would enjoy someone explaining how to check stator and voltage regulator operation.

😎

Looks like he fixed it and is out roosting. 🤘 😀 🤘

I do have a power probe if you or anyone wants to borrow it. Makes checking grounds/circuits/components so incredibly easy. It's most convenient when the bike/vehicle has a battery but you can power it externally as well.
https://www.powerprobe.com/na/en/product-list/content/308EbfcE6f63

• Like 1

I have been eyeballing those power probes for quite a while myself, found one at a pawn shop and picked it up.  Yes...an amazing troubleshooting tool.

2 hours ago, bfar33 said:

Looks like he fixed it and is out roosting. 🤘 😀 🤘

I do have a power probe if you or anyone wants to borrow it. Makes checking grounds/circuits/components so incredibly easy. It's most convenient when the bike/vehicle has a battery but you can power it externally as well.
https://www.powerprobe.com/na/en/product-list/content/308EbfcE6f63

Is that PP3 the one to get? I had a bad ground on my van a few years back. The shop found it immediately and it was a quick fix. Did they use this kind of tool?

25 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Is that PP3 the one to get? I had a bad ground on my van a few years back. The shop found it immediately and it was a quick fix. Did they use this kind of tool?

Any of them are fine if you aren’t running a shop or something.  There are cheap Amazon specials that will get it done.  

This has been a drawn out saga. I checked and cleaned the ground, cleaned and lubed all wire connections that I could find. Tried 2 CDIs from Ebay. It would fire one time for probably every 20 kicks. Sometimes stay running, sometimes not. I have a multimeter and checked resistance of all of the components but everything measured within spec (according to the internet).

Finally gave up and took it to Outrider in Bonsall. They tested all components and confirmed everything was in spec. They were stumped, but agreed to continue messing with it over the next few weeks. Turns out the wires inside the main harness plug into the ECU were loose. He pulled the plug off and squeezed each wire connector just a little tighter with pliers. That did the trick. Bike fires first kick hot or cold, runs crisp.

They were great about the entire process. Talked me through everything they were trying and were honest when their knowledge ran out, but kept troubleshooting at my request. Ended up charging me 2.5 hours of time. Fantastic people over there.

I appreciate all the input guys. One more thing to check in the future. 

• Like 2