tntmo

Noob Overnight Dual Sport Camping Trip - 22-23 October

So, it's gonna be raining in middle of night with 35mph winds at 50 mph gusts at the campground?? I hope  everyones sausages aren't getting blown too hard around camp out there.

Winds is really going where I'm at in the dezert. 

I hope your ok MacDuncan.

Camping tip: don't lean your bike toward your tent when kickstanding.. It could fall over middle of  night if it rains.

🌙 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

We’ve drank all the margaritas and moonshine. Fires burning low, rain is picking up and we are all headed to our tents. 
g’night. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, MacDuncan said:

Beautiful day to ride to the mountains, but my ride along was cut a bit short given a bif (probably shouldn't have been riding so dang casually.. who would-da thought).  Not sure if the riders will have reception out there, but if so...  Home safe, and thanks to the fellas who got me going again.  Cheers

Sucks how that happens when you least expect it.    2 months ago, I jacked my ankle on the simplest of trails, cutting the Black MTN romance ride short for me.

Glad you're okay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

We’ve drank all the margaritas and moonshine. Fires burning low, rain is picking up and we are all headed to our tents. 
g’night. 

While you guys are gettin wet and wind blown....Dobson brought me my "sausage" and beverage...

Hope you all are havin fun!

IMG_5598.thumb.JPG.a7c1a6a370f5bfee3a00f9e466cf890b.JPG

Edited by Bub_Hannah
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn’t touch Dobsons sausage with a 10’ pole. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, MacDuncan said:

Beautiful day to ride to the mountains, but my ride along was cut a bit short given a bif (probably shouldn't have been riding so dang casually.. who would-da thought).  Not sure if the riders will have reception out there, but if so...  Home safe, and thanks to the fellas who got me going again.  Cheers

I know there was some one missing at mesa grande. But I  didn't know  who it was. I just made it home safe.

20221023_103551.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Can we please start a ride report on this? . We are all at home by our computers to see who brought the nicest sausage,. Thanks.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, 350thumper said:

Can we please start a ride report on this? . We are all at home by our computers to see who brought the nicest sausage,. Thanks.

See ride report…and be jealous of our sausage.

Edited by tntmo
  • Like 1

Hey Tntmo, Nice video, and.... I think I resemble some of those remarks - haha

Once again, well done on the coordination of the event. Lots of folks really appreciated your efforts!!

It was so very true what you were sharing  just after your reference of a rider down.  Riding solo, emergency communication devise, trying out new bikes with new gear, and newish tires, purposefully searching for the traction (and slipping points) for the bike, as that is exactly what I was doing (although a better location to experiment may have been more wise).

Heck, I had anxiety watching your video as you purposefully spun your tires on the "marble road".  :).  I'll get over it.  This morning, I touched my bike for the first time, as I need to fix a few things, and until today I was unable to hold a bike off the kickstand due to the injuries. Note: 4 weeks and a day later.  I will also hold a beer high as a toast to wish Bubba for a quick recovery as he was heading out to hang with you all!

A member asked me what happened, and this was my PM reply cut and pasted below.  Thanks again, I'll be riding soon, as I am mostly grumpy that the desert is cool and I am not in it. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks, I knew you knew when you arrived that I was digging deep to appear ok. 

Earlier, I let tntbromo?, who was sweeping, go ahead because I wanted to practice some riding stuff, and actually go more slowly to smell the roses. I knew the largeness of the group would allow for an easy catch up, and even if not, I knew where the campground was located.  I had also brought beers for folks (1 for me) and shots for folks who were staying to camp (none for me), and I also brought my sleeping pad pump, as the blowing up of a sleeping pad is one of the worst tasks for me when quick pirate camping.  I figured some folks would like that. :) 

In the area where I crashed, I was actually enjoying the view of the cross-over trail, and occasionally trying some slide braking since that road is so marble-y. I was not actually trying to do power slide turns at the time, but was preparing to do so by seeing how how quickly I needed to snap the throttle for the rear tire to let loose and spin.  However, I messed up when I spun the back tire while going about 25+ miles per hour while I was in the center of the road on the hump, so the rear tire spun off the center berm, and slipped ~15 inches to the left of the front tire track, the sensation was that I might go down on the right side, so I started to put my right foot down (hence, no rear brake), and my thought was to stay off the front brake as I thought that would guarantee a front wheel slide out and I would go down even quicker..... so I worked hard to stay upright.....  but at that instant, since I let up a bit on the throttle, the rear wheel hooked up ......  all of that was within 10 ft, and 0.1 seconds......  next, I was moving at high speed at a 45 degree angle off the road straight toward the cliff, and embedded in the cliff, was a massive boulder. I saw it coming,  so at the last instant, I let go of the right handgrip and pulled my right arm up against the side of my body and slightly jumped off of the bike.  The side of my body hit the boulder and I instantaneously stopped and dropped, right on top of the bike, where I sat dazed for a few.  The crunching sound of a couple broken ribs, and torn cartilage, both laterally and against my spine had me worried, but it didn't feel like I had spine damage, nor a punctured lung, so I opted to calm myself and head home.  I grabbed my delorme where I could get it easily in case I had to pull over and drop to the floor.

Once home, I went straight to bed, where I didn't move for a couple days, then went to doc to get X-rays.  It has not been fun. 2 weeks out of work. That has been my worst moto bif in my life, so pretty lucky still. But likely just like your recent injury, we will be lucky to heal, and ride another day. :).  

I actually think a large percentage of adventure riders do not wear chest or rib protection, just elbow, shoulder, and spine protection in the adventure jackets, which is a bit ironic given that we go 80+ mph on dirt on 500+ lb bikes.  And, I ALWAYS wear my fox raptor (CE2) on my 500, so what was I thinking - grrr.  I would bet that you have a seen quite a few  injuries given your experience.  I will swing by in a month to chat about some of the armor options soon.

Thanks again for circling back and checking up on me.  It was appreciated.  I really think one can learn by reading info like that...  especially older newbies like me. Cheers. Mac

• Like 2
  • Sad 1