tntmo

Noob Overnight Dual Sport Camping Trip - 22-23 October

Yep. At coffee shop in Ramona. 

then we have it:

1:30pm Meet

2:00pm Ride

Main Street Coffee 

680 Main Street, Ramona, CA 92065

It used to be called Packard’s and SDAR has a long history of staging rides from there including many done by @Crawdaddy and the late @Afry. Makes for a great Twofer Tuesday meetup.

Edited by Goofy Footer

Well kids.  It's looking like good chance of showers tomorrow night into Sun morning.        Having ZERO camping experience, and no rain gear, I'm going to puss out.  

Pretty miffed because I worked to get my bike fixed for this event.  Just finished up bolting a new skid plate on too. 

Have fun!  I know you guys will.    

-Pete - AKA FBB on ADVRider

44 minutes ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Well kids.  It's looking like good chance of showers tomorrow night into Sun morning.        Having ZERO camping experience, and no rain gear, I'm going to puss out.  

Pretty miffed because I worked to get my bike fixed for this event.  Just finished up bolting a new skid plate on too. 

You can always come just for the ride and group hangout. Then, head home if any rain appears. You worked hard to get the bike fixed, come out and enjoy it!

It’s nice to put forum names and real faces together on these types of rides.

Hope to see you there! 

Edited by Goofy Footer
  • Like 2

Rain is possible any time you go camping.  This is an ideal situation to learn how to deal with it.  Ride is on, rain or shine.  
San Diego Adventure Riders, not San Diego Wussy Riders. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

I’m having difficulty seeing the calendar on my phone. If others are too:

Confirming:

1:30 meet and 2pm Kick Stands Up ?

The calendar is sort of confusing to find on the phone.  I see the upcoming events on the bottom of the “Forums” page, that’s how I find it.  I also added the information to the first post of this thread.  

9 hours ago, Bub_Hannah said:

If it doesn't kill you, it's a good Adventure. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tntmo said:

Rain is possible any time you go camping.  This is an ideal situation to learn how to deal with it.  Ride is on, rain or shine.  
San Diego Adventure Riders, not San Diego Wussy Riders. 

Totally my fault.  I should have prepared earlier, me being completely oblivious to what's required.     Kelly was gracious enough to offer me a tent and bag (the sleeping bag I have would have been no good after talking with him).  The rain forecast just pushed me over the edge, I truly have nothing to keep me dry.   This is San Diego, it NEVER rains here. lol

I know....weaksauce!    

• Like 1

This is a great opportunity, if in fact we do get rain.  Would you rather find out your tent leaks here, or day 3 of a week long trip with 2 more days of rain forecast?  Worst case scenario on this trip is you’re slightly uncomfortable and go home tomorrow morning.

Yes, it doesn’t rain often here but I enjoy riding to other places and weather is definitely out of our control.  Boy Scouts have it right: Be Prepared. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Totally my fault.  I should have prepared earlier, me being completely oblivious to what's required.     Kelly was gracious enough to offer me a tent and bag (the sleeping bag I have would have been no good after talking with him).  The rain forecast just pushed me over the edge, I truly have nothing to keep me dry.   This is San Diego, it NEVER rains here. lol

I know....weaksauce!    

Come out for the ride up with your bike loaded st least you can experience that aspect of a trip, just go home after getting to campground 

thats what carl and I are doing just for the ride

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Having ZERO camping experience, and no rain gear, I'm going to puss out.  

@Bub_Hannah, I am brining an extra pancho :)

• Like 2

For those that are geared up but unwilling to test their mettle in the rain, I agree with the points above that rain means opportunity as well as coming just for the evening is still a win. If those options are out of reach for you, allow me to make one final suggestion: camp in your yard. Seriously. The distance you drive is irrelevant when it comes to learning to setup a tent, testing your air pad, cooking over a camp stove, and enjoying the outdoors. You’ll learn what you forgot (dammit, where do I sit?) and what you don’t need (this multi tool does 57 things…. all poorly). You can practice setup/takedown of your tent, and work towards the gold metal of moto-camping - suspending a hammock between your bike and a tree. Bonus points for anyone that posts a pic showing that your roughing it… 15 feet from indoor plumbing, a kitchen, and the TV. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hawkins said:

Bonus points for anyone that posts a pic showing that your roughing it… 15 feet from indoor plumbing, a kitchen, and the TV. 

If you're really hardcore, you leave your phone too....no streaming!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This probably should go in the Gear thread, but it is applicable to this event.  Last week, @DSM8 lent me this sack for my sleeping bag. If I leaned anything about camping at his place, its compress everything BEFORE you put it in your drysack....then you have more room.  Duh!

So, I stuffed a 20-degree bag into the end of this sack, pull the drawstring.  Then use the 3 straps in the middle to compress to less than half its girth.  Then, snap the ends together.  It is friggin brilliant AND I CAN'T FIND ONE ANYWHERE!!!

This was made by ALPS Mountaineering for ropes.  They don't have it listed on their website anymore.  eBay has some things kinda similiar, but not of this quality/effectiveness.

@DSM8, if you could poke around and post a site, me and probably a few others would be grateful...

I'll even buy you a sausage :)

IMG_8076.thumb.jpeg.f887a28161f3e1c24066dad0143faa68.jpeg

Edited by moto_rph

@Bub_Hannah  you do what you think is best for you.

I'm butting in (I should mind my own business) into the conversation  - MAYBE one of the experienced guys has a extra rain suit they could loan you.  It seems everyone was willing to loan camping gear...maybe they have extra rain gear

I too gave it some thought about backing out because this is my first moto camp and the rain...I agree with the comments above about gaining experience.  I figure it's only one night and if I get there, I can always turn around.

• Like 2

Things to pack for rain motorcycle camping

poncho

gloves

jet boil

instant hot chocolate 

peppermint schnapps 

*poncho and gloves are optional

Edited by Pokey151
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, moto_rph said:

@DSM8, if you could poke around and post a site, me and probably a few others would be grateful...

@moto_rph - I couldn't agree more - Dave loaned me one also and it saved a ton of space in my Dry Bag...  I too couldn't find the bag, on Amazon some like it, but not the same...

DAVE...help a Brother(s) out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pokey151 said:

poncho

gloves

jet boil

instant hot chocolate 

peppermint schnapps 

Peppermint Schapps and a Lighter

that’s all we really Need 😅🔥

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

poncho

gloves

jet boil

instant hot chocolate 

peppermint schnapps 

I bring plum schnaps.

• Like 1

I'm bringing a little warmth to share around camp too.  It comes from Idaho by way of motorcycle.  It is of course for medicinal purposes only, so I'll be asking you what ales you before pouring you a few sips.  

I also have a newer tent I've never used in the rain, so am looking to test it out properly.

1 hour ago, J5ive said:

@Bub_Hannah  you do what you think is best for you.

I'm butting in (I should mind my own business) into the conversation  - MAYBE one of the experienced guys has a extra rain suit they could loan you.  It seems everyone was willing to loan camping gear...maybe they have extra rain gear

I too gave it some thought about backing out because this is my first moto camp and the rain...I agree with the comments above about gaining experience.  I figure it's only one night and if I get there, I can always turn around.

I've got a rain suit I can loan you and I can even deliver it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moto_rph said:

This probably should go in the Gear thread, but it is applicable to this event.  Last week, @DSM8 lent me this sack for my sleeping bag. If I leaned anything about camping at his place, its compress everything BEFORE you put it in your drysack....then you have more room.  Duh!

So, I stuffed a 20-degree bag into the end of this sack, pull the drawstring.  Then use the 3 straps in the middle to compress to less than half its girth.  Then, snap the ends together.  It is friggin brilliant AND I CAN'T FIND ONE ANYWHERE!!!

This was made by ALPS Mountaineering for ropes.  They don't have it listed on their website anymore.  eBay has some things kinda similiar, but not of this quality/effectiveness.

I'll even buy you a sausage :)

IMG_8076.thumb.jpeg.f887a28161f3e1c24066dad0143faa68.jpeg

Yeh it's hard to find any kind of compression sack that's long and skinny, and compresses sideways.  It's a huge gap in the gear supply chain in my opinion.  I had to buy 7 compression sacks to finally find the one for my sleeping bag that fit my luggage perfectly.  Sheesh!

• Like 1

Beautiful day to ride to the mountains, but my ride along was cut a bit short given a bif (probably shouldn't have been riding so dang casually.. who would-da thought).  Not sure if the riders will have reception out there, but if so...  Home safe, and thanks to the fellas who got me going again.  Cheers

• Like 5

I was not sure who it was sorry MacDuncan for the mishap I rode with the group as far as the Hideout and then ran home. Big  thanks to Tom for a fun easy route.

• Like 3