tntmo

Noob Overnight Dual Sport Camping Trip - 22-23 October

1 minute ago, tntmo said:

I don’t do GPS, and it’s not necessary at all for this ride. 

Yeah but for those non luddites on the ride that like to know stuff before hand this is helpful. I had no idea where this place was and now that I do I might go along just for the day ride, and to laugh...at stuff....

Just map the route out in google maps and throw up the link, that is really helpful for new riders, it's just what I do.

You do you, which means your riding the trial 90 that weekend right?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, tntmo said:

If anyone wants to do this, let me know so I can call in and let them know how many to have.  I may do this, I always have my cooking kit with me along with a little bit of food but if I'm on a trip and something good is available right before I call it a day....I go for it!  

Please put me down for a couple.  I've always found it good to eat someone else's cooking rather than mine :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DSM8 said:

Yeah but for those non luddites on the ride that like to know stuff before hand this is helpful. I had no idea where this place was and now that I do I might go along just for the day ride, and to laugh...at stuff....

Just map the route out in google maps and throw up the link, that is really helpful for new riders, it's just what I do.

You do you, which means your riding the trial 90 that weekend right?

If you ever got out to ride, you already would know about this place!  
I could ride any bike in my garage on this route.  Even my hard tail XS650 chopper with raked out springer forks and no front brake.  We will see what I show up on!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, tntmo said:

The ride will start at Main Street Coffee in Ramona on Saturday, October 22nd.   Address is:  680 Main St, Ramona, CA 92065

We will head out of town, turn onto Magnolia which shortly thereafter turns into Black Canyon Rd.  This is a gravel road for about 11 miles.  It has some narrow sections with blind curves and no guard rails but it's pretty basic stuff.  At the end of Black Canyon Rd, we will turn left onto Mesa Grande to enjoy some twisty blacktop.  No race, just relax.  I saw a tree with a bunch of motorcycle parts nailed to it in a tight turn, so some people decided to go too fast! 

We will go past the Hideout, making all the HD people jealous of our awesome machines and then turn left onto Hwy 79 into Warner Springs.  There is a gas station in WS that has several selections of cold beverages, ice, candy bars, chips, etc.   We will stop here for beer!  A couple miles past the gas station, right turn onto Lost Valley Road and seven miles to Indian Flats Campground.  

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cleveland/recarea/?recid=47550

The campground has a couple of toilets, picnic tables and fire rings in each space.  NO RUNNING WATER.  It's $12 per space + $5 per extra vehicle.  I have camped with two motorcycles per space on all kinds of campgrounds and can't recall being charged an extra vehicle space, but it probably makes sense to try to get two adjoining spaces if available and give the forest service some money.  It would be nice if everyone who comes along brings a five and a few ones, we can figure it out.  

40 miles total from the coffee shop to the camp ground.  It took me about 1.5 hours on the street bike, I stopped to take a few pictures and to talk to the people in the gas station and buy a beer to enjoy at the campsite.  Sunset is just past 6:00 pm on the 22nd, group rides usually end up being a bit slower and pictures are always nice.  I don't want anyone setting up in the dark, so probably a start time around 2:00 pm?

Let me know what you think please! 

Tom, GREAT route and destination for this event.  I've ridden through Indian Flats CG many times but never stayed there.  Glad to see it open for us!

Udo has a GREAT adventure story about that place . . . but I'm gonna let him tell it.  

DSM8 - me thinks you didn't follow Toms route with your Google-foo.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tntbromo said:

Count me in. I’m going to bring the TW200 and pants. 

I don't know this guy.  Probably one of those hammock sleepers....

• Agree 1

I submitted the ride to the calendar.  Please RSVP on there so I have an idea on how many are going. 

I am pretty sure I have a support vehicle that will meet us at camp with firewood, so don't worry about that.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The sausage sounds a treat, but since this is an "intro to moto camp" event, I'll bring my super-simple moto travel kitchen and cookery kit and display feats of culinary majestery (I made that up).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zubb said:

The sausage sounds a treat, but since this is an "intro to moto camp" event, I'll bring my super-simple moto travel kitchen and cookery kit and display feats of culinary majestery (I made that up).

Kelly brings up a point that I wanted to make.  Even though I may stop to get food on this trip, I highly recommend anyone who is planning to come and is truly new to motorcycle camping to pack as if you were going for whatever kind of trip you'd like to do in the future.  If you plan to cook during your trip, now is the time to experience it.  Bring your stuff along.  Make something to eat, make hot cocoa (with Skrewball peanut butter whiskey) for around the campfire.  Make coffee in the morning (I prefer amazing coffee, but I'm lazy so I bring packets) and make oatmeal.  Bring one of those Mountain House meals from WalMart so you can see how awesome or awful they are.  When you're hungry, they are awesome.  

Just my two cents!  

• Like 1

If anyone has gear needs, gear to loan, or gear to sell for this event,  post up for it Here. 

• Like 1

They can also arrange to meet at my place the Sunday prior if they want to as well since we have 1 person showing up so far.

• Like 1

I forgot to post on the details of this event, there is little to no cell phone coverage at the camping location. 

If you're the type that has to check in with your sweetie pie snookums for the night, you'd better do it at the gas station!  

@tntmo excellent point about cooking.    I was going to go with the sausage just to make things easy on me.  But as you stated, this is training for the real thing.  I'm going to try eating a dehydrated meal...when in Rome.

@Zubb will you post photo's of your "super-simple moto travel kitchen and cookery kit" - for us Noob's to be amazed by? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J5ive said:

@tntmo excellent point about cooking.    I was going to go with the sausage just to make things easy on me.  But as you stated, this is training for the real thing.  I'm going to try eating a dehydrated meal...when in Rome.

@Zubb will you post photo's of your "super-simple moto travel kitchen and cookery kit" - for us Noob's to be amazed by? 

You can still bring the cooking stuff to make breakfast, or midnight party meal....but yeah, this is the time to learn!  

I think Kelly is planning to show up for this event?  He will amaze us all with lots of things.....

3 hours ago, J5ive said:

I absolutely fricken will do no such thing. You wanna see the magic you gotta come to camp. 
just remember, less is more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, tntmo said:

Our resident sausage expert, @Goofy Footer let me know that the WS gas station has homemade sausages available.  I talked to the lady at the store about it, she said they make a limited number of them every day but if we call ahead they will have some available for us if you'd rather not cook in camp.  

If anyone wants to do this, let me know so I can call in and let them know how many to have.  I may do this, I always have my cooking kit with me along with a little bit of food but if I'm on a trip and something good is available right before I call it a day....I go for it!  

Ive had these sausages and they are delicious 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zubb said:

You wanna see the magic you gotta come to camp.  

😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨😨

On 10/6/2022 at 8:00 AM, tntmo said:

Our resident sausage expert, @Goofy Footer let me know that the WS gas station has homemade sausages available.  I talked to the lady at the store about it, she said they make a limited number of them every day but if we call ahead they will have some available for us if you'd rather not cook in camp.  

13 hours ago, bboyle9 said:

Ive had these sausages and they are delicious 

Everybody loves my sausages!  DramaLlama.gif

Edited by Goofy Footer
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, tntbromo said:

Count me in. I’m going to bring the TW200 and pants. 

20 hours ago, tntmo said:

I don't know this guy.  Probably one of those hammock sleepers....

The only hammock @tntbromo owns involves a banana. Luckily for all the wholesome SDAR folks he is bringing PANTS on this ride!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, A 2 said:

This topic got gay real quick…

So I take it you don’t want a sausage?  

• Haha 2

On 10/6/2022 at 2:18 PM, DSM8 said:

They can also arrange to meet at my place the Sunday prior if they want to as well since we have 1 person showing up so far.

@DSM8 have you formalized anything for your get together this Sunday?  I think I'm good on the packing, but would just like to stop by and meet some folks :)

Time?  Address?

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 12:02 PM, A 2 said:

This topic got gay real quick…

Nothing but SDAR brotherly moto love!

On 10/8/2022 at 6:27 AM, tntmo said:

So I take it you don’t want a sausage?  

More Kielbasa for mee!

• Haha 1