tntmo

Noob Overnight Dual Sport Camping Trip - 22-23 October

0C24A620-4C01-4C23-BAE9-0C2BF77B814A.thumb.jpeg.c08422dc66f93d286d2944154ceea783.jpeg

@Wierdrider expect the Unexpected!!

@tntmo’s a lover not a barbarian these days.. just look at his heart eyes pink sunglasses!

Mr @Hawkins good sir how can we put this campout on the site Calendar?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

We are about three weeks away from this. 

I have had a few people message me with questions, glad to help out anyone who is putting together a kit for this.  I have spare tents, a few different cooking kit setups, sleeping pads and sleeping bags.  All of this stuff was acquired when I got into hiking and did several sections of the Pacific Crest Trail with thoughts of through hiking it at some point (still wouldn't mind doing that!)  

Anyway, if you are needing something I may have it for loan or someone else may.  I may even consider selling some of this stuff, as I don't know if I can convince my wife to go hiking anymore.  Borrowing stuff for your first trip makes sense because you can evaluate it and decide if it works for you or if you want to go a different direction, but nobody ever convinced me of making sense.

Pro Tip!! -  If you keep an eye out for the REI parking lot sale, you can buy great quality backpacking gear at huge discounts.  Almost all of my backpacking gear was purchased at these sales, but they only happen once or twice per year.  

• Like 3

On 9/30/2022 at 3:38 PM, Goofy Footer said:

Hopefully you can get the learner's permit test or full license soon and come on a dualsport ride. Maybe take a MSF course with a friend? I took after already riding dirt for a while and it was still fun. I jumped on the TW200s when I could instead of the cruiser bikes.

Some people will truck to Ramona, Jamul, Pine Valley or Borrego Springs and stage there for their dirt focused dualsport loops both big and small.

Yes, this has  been my plan for about a year and a half now. With three kid's active schedules, DMV/covid nonsense, etc. it just hasn't happened yet. I tried to convince myself I could at least get the the permit for this trip until I realized I have family coming into town that weekend, four soccer games, a water polo tournament, a trail meeting...and probably a couple of birthday parties...that I decided I'll just skip the stress of making this one happen and focus on a prerequisite. Ha!

I have the 500 exc that I'd like to make sure is road worthy and learn how to pack up for this sort of outing, but I also have the stock 2 gallon tank so trucking it might be the way to go for me. At least for now anyway.

On 10/1/2022 at 12:14 PM, Wierdrider said:

7BCEB67B-A155-4BBD-B048-50DDF2D9FB28.thumb.jpeg.1130fc16b65f2bc2a9806b0ca3b7f6c1.jpegE9874716-6E96-4B26-9905-2593E401A346.thumb.jpeg.c52ce15db877ea621e7933d92ecf8efc.jpeg

I have that tent and love it. It's been to Glacier Bay on a two week kayak trip to keep me housed and dry. Those little windows have failed on mine and caused me some heartache though. I need to repair them though, because even though I've since replaced the tent, I'm not ready to let her go.

• Like 2

Ok since there were no takers, and we have people committed to going I will throw this out there one more time.

Sunday the 16th as the day for the meetup for the tec/packing day if people are interested 

Those with luggage maybe bring it with so people can get tips on mounting options and ideas etc. 

The BBQ will not be running this time unless someone brings stuff then the grill is available for their use.

Edited by DSM8
  • Like 1

That’s a nice tent at a decent price, looks very similar to the MSR Hubba Hubba that I’ve been using for years.  

@DSM8 I'm in for Tech/Packing Day on Sunday the 16, count me in.   I do NOT want to lose any gear or look like the Clampett's going down the road...

The first 4:50 of this video, the guy talks about what I call Noob issues with camping/sleeping.  He doesn't come out and state it . .. . the problem is the pad.  You need an insulated pad so mother earth doesn't suck the warmth out of you like a vampire.  

One can easily spend $200 on a super comfy insulated pad but there's no need when getting started.  The key is insulation, so the foam pads work a treat for keeping you warm. 

Do you have a pad? Even on cool summer nights, it's more important than your sleeping bag for comfort/warmth.  He had a zero degree bag and still froze.

13 hours ago, J5ive said:

@DSM8 I'm in for Tech/Packing Day on Sunday the 16, count me in.   I do NOT want to lose any gear or look like the Clampett's going down the road...

OK help me out a little ahead of time.

What bike are you riding and do you have hard pannier installed?

Hope we get some other takes so you can hear more than just my melodious voice that day.

🤡

@DSM8  I'm sure others will join - we all want to know what to bring and how to pack it.

I'm on a Yamaha T7 and I have soft pannier's - Mosko Moto Backcountry 35L with a Backcountry 40L duffel.    Right now, food and water are my biggest concerns (well and how do I get beer there).

I've been traveling for years on a bike, just never camped, always in hotels (with a bar).  I figure you need to try new things to see if you like it.  This overnighter will have a lot of influence on how I do a BDR - camping or hotel.  Hoping I like it, so I can do both hotel and camping when I do a BDR.

2 minutes ago, J5ive said:

@DSM8  I'm sure others will join - we all want to know what to bring and how to pack it.

I'm on a Yamaha T7 and I have soft pannier's - Mosko Moto Backcountry 35L with a Backcountry 40L duffel.    Right now, food and water are my biggest concerns (well and how do I get beer there).

I've been traveling for years on a bike, just never camped, always in hotels (with a bar).  I figure you need to try new things to see if you like it.  This overnighter will have a lot of influence on how I do a BDR - camping or hotel.  Hoping I like it, so I can do both hotel and camping when I do a BDR.

That’s how I do it. Plan on camping and sometimes weather dictates a motel. 
I am not ashamed. 

• Like 1

Or sometimes I’m just really in the mood for a hot tub. 

• Like 1

I just pre-ran the route that I had planned, it looks like it will work awesome.  I will put details here soon along with pictures.  I did the run on my FZ-6 which is a street bike with 100% street tires.  I did this to show that you will be fine on any bike!  I'm not a great rider, low intermediate at best. 

Stand by for all the details of the ride, I'm even more excited after doing my verification run!  

• Like 3

I am still behind on reading the forum and also behind in general from having sick kids in two states (Washington and California). I plan to attend the noob overnight and won't need to borrow any gear. I've camped a fair bit as a youth and adult, including cooking and entertainment. The new aspects to me will be doing it on a bike (I believe this will be an easy adaptation for me) and in this area/climate (rattlesnakes? scorpions? conservatives?  *shudder*). Looking forward to hanging out with everyone again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawkins said:

I am still behind on reading the forum and also behind in general from having sick kids in two states (Washington and California). I plan to attend the noob overnight and won't need to borrow any gear. I've camped a fair bit as a youth and adult, including cooking and entertainment. The new aspects to me will be doing it on a bike (I believe this will be an easy adaptation for me) and in this area/climate (rattlesnakes? scorpions? conservatives?  *shudder*). Looking forward to hanging out with everyone again.

Come out for the pre ride packing event on the 16th at my place

The ride will start at Main Street Coffee in Ramona on Saturday, October 22nd.   Address is:  680 Main St, Ramona, CA 92065

We will head out of town, turn onto Magnolia which shortly thereafter turns into Black Canyon Rd.  This is a gravel road for about 11 miles.  It has some narrow sections with blind curves and no guard rails but it's pretty basic stuff.  At the end of Black Canyon Rd, we will turn left onto Mesa Grande to enjoy some twisty blacktop.  No race, just relax.  I saw a tree with a bunch of motorcycle parts nailed to it in a tight turn, so some people decided to go too fast! 

We will go past the Hideout, making all the HD people jealous of our awesome machines and then turn left onto Hwy 79 into Warner Springs.  There is a gas station in WS that has several selections of cold beverages, ice, candy bars, chips, etc.   We will stop here for beer!  A couple miles past the gas station, right turn onto Lost Valley Road and seven miles to Indian Flats Campground.  

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cleveland/recarea/?recid=47550

The campground has a couple of toilets, picnic tables and fire rings in each space.  NO RUNNING WATER.  It's $12 per space + $5 per extra vehicle.  I have camped with two motorcycles per space on all kinds of campgrounds and can't recall being charged an extra vehicle space, but it probably makes sense to try to get two adjoining spaces if available and give the forest service some money.  It would be nice if everyone who comes along brings a five and a few ones, we can figure it out.  

40 miles total from the coffee shop to the camp ground.  It took me about 1.5 hours on the street bike, I stopped to take a few pictures and to talk to the people in the gas station and buy a beer to enjoy at the campsite.  Sunset is just past 6:00 pm on the 22nd, group rides usually end up being a bit slower and pictures are always nice.  I don't want anyone setting up in the dark, so probably a start time around 2:00 pm?

Let me know what you think please! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

is the campground a stick your money in the hole  when you get there kinda thing ? once again, say it out loud before you type it!!!! but you know what I mean. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ECDave said:

is the campground a stick your money in the hole  when you get there kinda thing ? once again, say it out loud before you type it!!!! but you know what I mean. 

Yes.  I grabbed a few envelopes so we can get them taken care of before we start out if we want.  It’s also first come/first serve, so there’s a small possibility of not getting adjoining sites but I think it’s usually not busy.

Our resident sausage expert, @Goofy Footer let me know that the WS gas station has homemade sausages available.  I talked to the lady at the store about it, she said they make a limited number of them every day but if we call ahead they will have some available for us if you'd rather not cook in camp.  

If anyone wants to do this, let me know so I can call in and let them know how many to have.  I may do this, I always have my cooking kit with me along with a little bit of food but if I'm on a trip and something good is available right before I call it a day....I go for it!  

• Like 2

I would have liked to join in on this ride but I’ll be in the middle of the NVBDR. Tried to do it last year but temps in the teens and wind in excess of 50mph had us changing direction mid ride.

CiD

• Like 1

I don’t do GPS, and it’s not necessary at all for this ride.