tntmo

Noob Overnight Dual Sport Camping Trip - 22-23 October

* Date set to 22-23 October *
All details are on the calendar, please RSVP there.  Also can be seen in this post:

As discussed in this thread: https://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27091-your-next-big-ride/&

It seems that we have some people interested in doing some of these "Next Big Rides" but haven't quite got their feet wet yet, or maybe they want to test a new setup or haven't gone on a bike camping trip for a while.  I am far from an expert and I don't have the latest Gucci gear but can probably help give some of y'all a little nudge to get out there and start your adventure.

My thoughts on how this could work - just a very simple ride with some street and some dirt, long enough to see how the bike feels with your camping setup on it at highway speeds and on some off pavement stuff.  Everyone should plan to be able to be 100% self sufficient but we have safety of being in a group.  Camp at a place that has some basic facilities if possible, just so it's a bit easier for anyone who is a first timer.  Get there early enough so everyone can set up, help each other, tips/tricks, eat, drink and be merry.

About a month from now, so mid/late October.  That gives people a chance to ask questions, pick up gear, old timers can get a flea market going for excess gear, etc.  

Thoughts??   

Edited by tntmo
  • Like 2
  • Added To My Bucket List 1

Assuming we are going for a Sat/Sun combo...

• Oct 15, 16
  • Nov 19, 20
  • Dec ???

Yes, was thinking Sat night camp, Sunday explore/head home.

October 22-23 is my preferred date.  

October 29-30 is my second choice.

October 15-16 third choice just because it's a short time away and people need time to plan/purchase/get permission slips signed by the adult in their lives. 

November is the Geico Rally, I have a Gambler Rally, and a few other things going on.

But I'm open to what works best for the most people.....

Following. I'll be riding Nevada BDR 10/19 to 10/26ish...so I'll be gone that 1st-weekend option. Possible for the 29th/30th....but since I'll just be getting home from a week trip camping off the bike, I'm probably unlikely, so don't arrange anything around me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Following. I'll be riding Nevada BDR 10/19 to 10/26ish...so I'll be gone that 1st-weekend option. Possible for the 29th/30th....but since I'll just be getting home from a week trip camping off the bike, I'm probably unlikely, so don't arrange anything around me. 

You can definitely give some solid advice even if you can’t go.  

Just now, tntmo said:

You can definitely give some solid advice even if you can’t go.  

Absolutely. I'll chime in where needed.

• Like 1

Oct 29 - Nov 6:  Negative Ghostrider.  Estaré bebiendo margaritas en Baja!

I would love to attend this but to echo LB, if that's the best weekend for the group, then I'm sure Tom'll have plenty of wingmen to run the weekend. 

Tom/Kelly,

I'd be very interested in tagging along if the timing works.  I have never attempted to pack my KTM 500 for an overnighter.  I think I may have to look for something smaller than my REI 4 man tent:)

Anyway, I agree with Oct 22/23 as a date.  Earlier may be too early for some.  But the 29/30 butts into the GEICO rally which starts the next Thursday.  My husband antennae tells me we should all have at least one wife weekend between moto silliness (read: nature bonding).

• Like 2

My first tips for anyone interested: 

If you don't already have a couple ROK Straps, get some.  

https://www.amazon.com/ROK-Straps-ROK-10025-Black-Motorcycle/dp/B00SXJLLBW/ref=sr_1_12?crid=O11Y9OBU81PJ&keywords=rok+strap&qid=1663883109&sprefix=rok+strap%2Caps%2C852&sr=8-12

If you like to cook in camp, Walmart camping section had some nice little camp stoves and cook kits.  Their website isn't the most friendly, but if you want to get stuff online here's an idea.  Lots of different options out there.  I use something very similar, have had it for a long time and it's always worked.  

https://www.amazon.com/Odoland-Camping-Cookware-Lightweight-Backpacking/dp/B07Q5WCNDJ/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1876TYCCYG8I5&keywords=camp+cook+kit+with+stove&qid=1663883538&sprefix=camp+cook+kit+with+stov%2Caps%2C258&sr=8-9

Combine tools if your can to reduce the stuff you take.  I'm big on being able to take care of myself if needed, and I also am that helper guy that enjoys being able to take care of others so I carry too much stuff.....but I can say "Do as I say, not as I do".  Here's an example of a way to reduce tools, a tire iron with an axle wrench.  Make sure you get the right size, even if you're not great at doing tire/tube repair if you can't get the wheel off nobody can help you.

https://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Aluminum-Tire-Iron-Wrench/dp/B01MR72QT6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=26ZIGJKSWYAHS&keywords=tire%2Biron%2Bwith%2B24mm%2Baxle%2Bwrench&qid=1663883736&sprefix=Tire%2Biron%2Bwi%2Caps%2C192&sr=8-4&th=1

Sleep comfortably.  I have tried several different sleep systems, from foam mats to cots.  Some people like the hammock systems, I have never tried that.  Anyway, this is what I currently use but there are infinite choices out there.  I slept about 90 days of the year a few years back on this pad, it works for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Insulated-Sleeping-Lightweight-Backpacking-Inflatable/dp/B07YP8TFJB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2T7DCQAOE3DG3&keywords=klymit+static+v&qid=1663883987&sprefix=klymit+%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSDdENzZRR1BVUUkxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzU1NjYyMllSNFdXVEtSTTJTMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTY2NDI4MjVWUk9aVkRYWERBUyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Like 2

Good stuff Tom. 
I advise to not over do it. 
Tent

bag

pad

Period. 
after that it’s all luxury since you are traveling everyday anyway. 
stove

one pan/pot

coffee cup big enough for a cup of soup too. 

Bring what you wear on the bike and one set of very lightweight cloths for around camp at the most. Don’t bring a bunch of clothing. This is the sign of a super NooB. 

18 hours ago, moto_rph said:

I think I may have to look for something smaller than my REI 4 man tent:)

@moto_rph I have a couple solo tents I never use that are really nice, they pack down so small, you can pick one and keep it - as a thanks for my moto jack that I use often :)

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 2

I would like to join in on this.  I've been kicking around the idea of doing an overnight camping trip - just to see if I can do it.  This is just the ticket for me.  If the dates work, I'm in

• Like 1

I am interested in going.  I have to dance around my son playing football in college. I will be watching to see if the two do not interfere with each other.

• Like 2

I was thinking about this last night and wanted to make sure that anyone interested doesn't get too wrapped up in needing the latest and greatest equipment to go on a motorcycle adventure.

Lots of awesome posts on here and other forums show people with fancy/expensive bikes with all the latest top of the line gear.  It looks good online, your Instagram posts get plenty of thumbs up and all that stuff.  If you have the stuff, great....but if you don't or can't justify the expense you are still going to be just fine and you're going to have just as much fun doing it the way that works for you.  

People are camping off their bikes with old duffel bags tied down with paracord.  People are camping off $1000 40 year old motorcycles.  People are taking scooters and beat up Honda Trail 90's places that other people won't go.  It's not the machine or the gear, it's you that has to set the wheels in motion to create your adventure. 

So, just understand that YOU CAN DO IT with whatever works for you.  

• Like 4

I will also throw this out there, once a date is decided I will be happy to host a minor tech/how to pack your ---- on small bike and not look like the clamptons moving to CA from Kentucky day.
I have numerous luggage options and such.
This is me pack for a 2 week trip, with only a duffel and tail bag.

Duffel has ALL my camp gear in it, tail bag are the things I need while riding like rain gear and such to it is mostly empty.

Untitled photo

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tntmo said:

People are camping off their bikes with old duffel bags tied down with paracord.  People are camping off $1000 40 year old motorcycles.  People are taking scooters and beat up Honda Trail 90's places that other people won't go.  It's not the machine or the gear, it's you that has to set the wheels in motion to create your adventure. 

So, just understand that YOU CAN DO IT with whatever works for you.  

I feel specifically called out here, except I used bungees instead of paracord and I only paid $75 for the bike haha.

i-CPTG73n-X4.thumb.jpg.ab7db3fdaac757eb0921deadcdbb0f94.jpgi-2PwSzVT-X4.thumb.jpg.3197216c092be83d4b732158fe4fbdbc.jpg

Completely agree with everything you said though. The only requirement is the desire to do it, doesn't matter what gear you have. Thankfully new riders here can get good advice from these guys to avoid some of the dumb mistakes I made.

Also, I have a spare 1-man tent if anyone would like to borrow it for this ride, just let me know. ✌️

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, bfar33 said:

I feel specifically called out here, except I used bungees instead of paracord and I only paid $75 for the bike haha.

Completely agree with everything you said though. The only requirement is the desire to do it, doesn't matter what gear you have. Thankfully new riders here can get good advice from these guys to avoid some of the dumb mistakes I made.

Also, I have a spare 1-man tent if anyone would like to borrow it for this ride, just let me know. ✌️

That's completely badass!  

• Like 1

Let’s pretty much lock it in for October 22nd-23rd.  Saturday to Sunday.

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

Let’s pretty much lock it in for October 22nd-23rd.  Saturday to Sunday.

Then I propose Sunday the 16th as the day for the meetup for the tec/packing day if people are interested 

those with luggage maybe bring it with so people can get ideas on options and ideas 

We need some headcount to plan accordingly 

18 hours ago, bfar33 said:

i-CPTG73n-X4.thumb.jpg.ab7db3fdaac757eb0921deadcdbb0f94.jpgi-2PwSzVT-X4.thumb.jpg.3197216c092be83d4b732158fe4fbdbc.jpg

If loving this is wrong, I don't want to be right.  (Que music).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hah, in my defense that was almost everything I owned in there.

Also...

I'm a tentative maybe for this camp trip on the 22/23rd. Will know more in a couple weeks. Did I miss the destination? Desert camping?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bfar33 said:

I'm a tentative maybe for this camp trip on the 22/23rd. Will know more in a couple weeks. Did I miss the destination? Desert camping?

I have sort of left the destination vague for now, have a couple options/ideas but I will say this much:

This is not going to be a long day of riding, nor any sort of a challenging ride.  It’s really more just about putting all the gear on the bike, getting away from home, setting it all up, using it, taking it down, packing up and making it home.

Checking out other people’s setup, helping each other, BS session around camp, beverages, etc!  

• Like 2