Wow what a fun ride! Weather was fantastic in Plaster City. Last weekend .

SUNDAY I charged my cell phone , put on ALL my riding safety gear , then headed out to get gas at the Chevron in Ocotillo near the 8 freeway  I was anticipating meeting some of the  other riders from the SDAR group so I hustled it back to the Red Feather restaurant for a meet up.

At exactly 9 am, Five and Jason showed up on their awesome KTM and Yamaha 700Tenere . Both bikes were emaculate and I was impressed. Together we made a plan of how to tackle the terrain and went over a map I made to discuss and become familiar with the obstacles ahead.

First thing we did was ride out past the broken bridge on Evan Hughes  Hwy, we had to go through sand as we crossed the deep wash down below. We stopped and talked about the best way to approach it   Both riders did great with this 👏.  Afterward we headed to Plaster City border patrol road towards Pesky Perch.

There was alot of  sand on the road due to the recent storms but J5 handled that like a champ. His riding experience paid off and we pressed on despite the uneven and loose terrain.

The roads became washed out so we decided it's a good time to cut across the desert over to Painted Gorge.  J5 started showing off his sand skills at every chance he got . I was taken aback when he decided to lead. He was crossing washes like a pro he had very impressive skill and techmique.

Over at Plaster City there was smooth roads leading to a natural Painted landscape with broad strokes of yellow , sandstone ,red, black , and green and blue splashed across the mountainside.

I didn't get any pics because I was having too much fun 🙃 😅

After discovering the beauty nature offered us we went back to the diner and grabbed some broc-a-sorus burgers and taters.The people at the restaurant were real nice and It was a fun motorcycle rider orientated place to eat.  

Thanks John and Jason for helping make a great Ride

Edited by 350thumper
  • Like 4

Sounds fun, sorry I had to leave so early,  The ride home took forever.  I hate those helpless feelings racing home to my dog and the Mrs who was freaking out of my dogs seizure. 

• Sad 1

Nice ride.  I want to see if they are in work on the broken trestle on the gypsum rail.  It took some big damage during the rains.  

@350thumper I want to Thank You for the ride.  I learned a lot about riding in sand, it’s not for the timid and it takes a lot of skill to be successful at it.  You constantly checked behind to make sure I was still there and your encouragement after I was successful going through an obstacle was excellent.

You were/are a great guide…stopping at difficult points to discuss how to pick the best line through an obstacle – pointing out the plus and minus of each line.  That alone was worth the price of admission!

But best of all…in the post, you didn’t even mention that I had a “get off” in the first 100 yards of the leaving the pavement (LOL).  Didn’t have any more the rest of the day – but I can’t count how many times I came close the hitting the sand.  That’s one pair of shorts I have to throw away…

As a new person to ADV riding, I need a ton more work…on both soft and hard pack.

Darren, Thank You for helping me yesterday!!!

@Pokey151 we'll see ya soon - I'll tell you about my trip north.  Let me know when you want to get a cold one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1