dstss

Current CA reg rules for out of state bike

I am getting ready to sell my 2004 ktm 450 exc.  It was not street legal when I bought it new but I put a baja designs kit on it and it's been registered street legal in Arizona since 2005.  I think it used to be OK to get a California plate if the bike was legal in another state for a certain number of years or miles. Anyone know if that is still true? I just don't want to sell it to someone in SoCal and then they have a problem keeping it legal. It's a great bike but just bought a 2022 500 and don't need it anymore. 

• Like 1

It’s going to be hit or miss.  Letter of the law, it wouldn’t be able to get a CA plate but it depends on where and when you go.  

If you want to sell in ca get it plated before the sale in your name if you want to ensure it wont come back to bite you

Edited by DSM8
because I kant speal for sh!t ok get off mi bak

I would not go to the DMV, I would and do only use a private DMV service.  The one I use is Barb's Auto Registration Service in Escondido.  

1 hour ago, socalhodaka said:

I would not go to the DMV, I would and do only use a private DMV service.  The one I use is Barb's Auto Registration Service in Escondido.  

Thats an even better idea!!

As stated above it would be 50/50 if CA will accept it. My dad registered his 01' DRZE in AZ a few years ago and tried to CA plate it. Our local DMV service (Alice's) laughed and said no it is a dirt bike.

When i bought my 00' XR400 a few years ago (2019) the owner had a home here and in AZ. He originally had it plated here in CA since 02' but AZ was cheaper so he had it registered there. I made it a point that i would buy it if it was CA plated. A few hours later he came back from AAA with a CA plate. Since it was plated in CA before AZ there were no flags.

All you can do is try but we all know a CA plated bike carries a premium. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I will have my son in lakeside see he can get it registered  and plated in California.  Otherwise I will just try to sell it in Yuma. 

I would try “The tag shop” in El Cajon. They’ve been pretty good at finding ways around dmv issues for me. Good luck.

1 hour ago, dstss said:

Thanks for the replies. I will have my son in lakeside see he can get it registered  and plated in California.  Otherwise I will just try to sell it in Yuma. 

Is the bike in California?  If not, there’s nothing that you can do because it will need a VIN verification.