Goofy Footer

Your Next Big Ride

WABDR is pretty epic but it’s quite a hike from here. 
COBDR is a must do for any and everyone.  
I got shut down this summer on riding WY, AZ and UT BDR by the fickle finger of fate. But…. A couple of my good friends tell me the most stunning of all of them is to run the northern AZ tracks into the Southern UT tracks. A 50/50 BDR so to speak. I’m sure there’s plenty of intel here as to whether that’s a great idea or not. 
There’s a chance I’ll run the southern half of CABDR in January on the 1250. Motel it to keep it light and fun through the deep spots and fast through the firm places. 

• Like 1

Going to knock out NV soon. Tried last year and froze. Probably hit CA this winter also. I’ve ridden about 80% of the California route but never all at once.

The BDR crew asked me if I was planning on doing any of the east coast routes. I told them probably not, I still want to knock out Wyoming and maybe Washington next year. 

CiD

On 9/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, tntmo said:

I have just got the single dipped cone the last few times, not really photo worthy.  I have not done any BDR yet, but I know you are itching to go so I will join you for whatever one you want to do.  

I'm itching too!!!!

Driving at the time through the Poconos and NY, I can see myself to get the bike over and ride this woods here.

20220909_094840.jpg

20220911_151632.jpg

20220906_122100.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/10/2022 at 9:43 AM, Goofy Footer said:

@tntmo we need pics of the ice cream!  Which BDR are you interested in?

@Covered in Dust has to be the SDAR leader of BDRs he has done NMBDR, AZBDR, IDBDR, COBDR and the UTBDR.

@paulmbowers, @kkug , @Oracle, @Riggerdan, @Dan Diego what BDR was your favorite and what do you recommend?

image.thumb.png.68f92ccde2bacf11e874c7478bb3ff5d.png

I've done CABDR X2, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and will be setting out with the BDR crew to take on 1000 miles of dirt on the NVBDR in a couple weeks. Each has been a lot of fun, each had some challenges (usually weather related), and each is well worth doing. As far as my favorites, I'd probably go with CO at this point. But Utah was awesome....oh heck, they were all awesome in their own way.

Zubb, hit me up if you want to do CABDR. I'd might be game depending on what life is throwing at me.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Oracle said:

Zubb, hit me up if you want to do CABDR. I'd might be game depending on what life is throwing at me.

Roger that.

You may probably know this already, but we're heading back to Mexico to continue our journey to Central and South America for a couple years. Currently exploring Colorado where it's cooler, until the temperatures cool down in Mexico.....gotta take care of my boy as we travel.

KTMrad

SDAR President and Founder

20220911_103748.thumb.jpg.0a8468052a120fbbd4a3976afdfef2ca.jpg

20220911_112553.jpg

FB_IMG_1661695209437.jpg

Edited by KTMrad
  • Confused 1

Great update Randy. I think I recognize that spot. 
21FD551C-F147-4C4C-8082-CA72B527F10A.thumb.jpeg.d2a122f726c666daa436742f917f9046.jpeg

• Like 1

🤠 And I’m with my son. And you’re with your son. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 2:06 PM, Hawkins said:

I'll be doing training with West 38 Moto, coming home for Halloween with the kids, then packing up the land yacht and heading to the campground where the GEICO event is taking place. We got a spot there for the week. I'll have my Africa Twin and my wife's Himalayan on a trailer behind either the RV or the Suburban. That's a lot of riding in a 1-week span!

See you there

41 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

See you there

Where, training w/ West 38 Moto, or the GEICO Rally?

1 hour ago, Hawkins said:

Where, training w/ West 38 Moto, or the GEICO Rally?

Geico Rally

I am a noob when it comes to many things related to adventure bikes. BDR - backcountry discovery routes, thank Google! - sound excellent. Can anyone recommend a good jumping in point for learning more?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkins said:

I am a noob when it comes to many things related to adventure bikes. BDR - backcountry discovery routes, thank Google! - sound excellent. Can anyone recommend a good jumping in point for learning more?

Don’t think too much, just go!  

An overnight trip to the desert would be a great way to prepare, you can test your bike for riding with camping gear, you can test your camping setup.  Close enough to home if things suck.  I usually do at least one trip like that to make sure I’m ready to go.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this, and talking with a few buddies…might put together a simple “first timer’s” overnight ride.  I’m getting the idea together, will see if there’s interest. 

• Added To My Bucket List 1

11 hours ago, tntmo said:

I was thinking about this, and talking with a few buddies…might put together a simple “first timer’s” overnight ride.  I’m getting the idea together, will see if there’s interest. 

I would Highly recommend this for anybody interested in bigger rides. Make it totally n00b friendly and accessible. It would be a great way to test your gear in a safe environment and see other people’s setups. 

If you lose your sleeping bag on the trail you have to find a bunk mate!

• Like 1

I led a club overnight ride for noobs a few years ago to Santa Rosa (Tom, weren't you on it?). Everyone had a blast. And quite a few learned some valuable lessons on setup, gear, luggage, etc. One guy had a yard sale of gear, sorry can't remember who it was, for about a mile down a trail because he tied everything down with bungee cords. Bungee cords don't work for what we do. We fixed him up and got back on the road and everyone had a laugh over it. God, who was it??? Anyway, these types of rides are an excellent resource for noobs to learn. I've ridden thousand and thousand of miles off road in remote areas camping off my bike and am constantly learning and changing things up. I think I have three full sets of bags, tents, gear, etc, that I went through before I got a pretty good grasp on the way I wanted to do it.

Here's a pic from the top of Santa Rosa

fullsizeoutput_1d7e.jpeg.f7db44930a3b783cfa66301326afe8c5.jpeg

• Like 2

I wasn’t on that ride, but that’s pretty much what I’m thinking.  Will post up in a day or two and see what interest we get

9 hours ago, Oracle said:

I led a club overnight ride for noobs a few years ago to Santa Rosa (Tom, weren't you on it?). Everyone had a blast. And quite a few learned some valuable lessons on setup, gear, luggage, etc. One guy had a yard sale of gear, sorry can't remember who it was, for about a mile down a trail because he tied everything down with bungee cords. Bungee cords don't work for what we do. We fixed him up and got back on the road and everyone had a laugh over it. God, who was it??? Anyway, these types of rides are an excellent resource for noobs to learn. I've ridden thousand and thousand of miles off road in remote areas camping off my bike and am constantly learning and changing things up. I think I have three full sets of bags, tents, gear, etc, that I went through before I got a pretty good grasp on the way I wanted to do it.

Here's a pic from the top of Santa Rosa

fullsizeoutput_1d7e.jpeg.f7db44930a3b783cfa66301326afe8c5.jpeg

These "intro to motocamping" rides always seem to be a lot of fun.  There's a journey, just like our journey through moto life where we learn more skills, buy better farkles, or bikes, go more places, etc.  Ones gear list for camping evolves over time as well.

I'm sure @oracle isn't the only one with a bunch of accumulated gear.

If this comes together we should open a separate gear thread posting requests for gear, and offering both for sale or for loaning.  It can be expensive to start camping if you are starting from scratch.

Edited by Zubb
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Zubb said:

These "intro to motocamping" rides always seem to be a lot of fun.  There's a journey, just like our journey through moto life where we learn more skills, buy better farkles, or bikes, go more places, etc.  Ones gear list for camping evolves over time as well.

I'm sure @oracle isn't the only one with a bunch of accumulated gear.

If this comes together we should open a separate gear thread posting requests for gear, and offering both for sale or for loaning.  It can be expensive to start camping if you are starting from scratch.

Yes, I was also thinking about getting some “pretty good, yet pretty cheap” links for first timers with a budget or not fully committed.  It’s how I started backpacking.  My pack was heavier than my friend’s was, but my bank account was also heavier.  
I upgraded a bit at a time, but without my first kit I wouldn’t have gone out.  

• Like 1