Would love to.  Unlikely I can commit to it though.

I suppose you're riding the hot new Desert X I heard rumor of?

7 minutes ago, Zubb said:

Would love to.  Unlikely I can commit to it though.

I suppose you're riding the hot new Desert X I heard rumor of?

Of course!

How you doing buddy? When are you going to be back riding?

It’s thanksgiving weekend, hard to commit with family events 

5 hours ago, padu said:

Of course!

How you doing buddy? When are you going to be back riding?

Pavement only this month.  Dirt should be early Oct.

LABV is definitely a classic D37 ride. The only thing I'll add is find a different way home or wait an extra couple days in Vegas because the traffic home on Sunday is a complete disaster (not D37's fault clearly).

Goofy Recommendation: You'd be faster riding the powerline back and cutting through Mojave on dirt!

23 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

LABV is definitely a classic D37 ride. The only thing I'll add is find a different way home or wait an extra couple days in Vegas because the traffic home on Sunday is a complete disaster (not D37's fault clearly).

Goofy Recommendation: You'd be faster riding the powerline back and cutting through Mojave on dirt!

Yes, I was thinking about heading south from Vegas using CABDR section 3.

• Like 2

Section 3 in reverse should be Primm to Desert Oasis Gas Station along the I40. That is a good route and zigzags through the park. There is some sand and one or two g-outs / holes near Morningstar Mine to be aware of. You could cut through the Preserve on a more direct route as well.

Every year people mention the horrendous traffic leaving Vegas. Even from the Strip past Primm to the top of the hill where Section 3 starts dirt can take forever.

You could find some backroads to the dirt start of Section 3 - maybe even visit Nipton.

43 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

I'm targeting 2023 for LAB2V, I'd love for that to be my 'welcome to being 40' event :)

40 is a big number, better do it right!

Are you going to ride Door to Door on the 690? Could be a great event for it. 

Also, 12 hour drives home aren’t unrealistic if trucking back

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

40 is a big number, better do it right!

Are you going to ride Door to Door on the 690? Could be a great event for it. 

Also, 12 hour drives home aren’t unrealistic if trucking back

Yeah 690 is my dirt sled, haven’t figured out the return logistics yet but have some ideas 

I’ve ridden to Vegas twice and done the CABDR door to door so let me know if you wanna talk route ideas back. I’d guess a more chill ride home which is totally doable.

If you want to celebrate hard and have a truck to haul you back that is an option too.

• Like 1

I'm starting to get serious about checking it off the list this year. Would be on a DR650, are the 'hard routes' do-able for a mediocre at best rider on a bush pig?

Is the return traffic just due to the LAB2V ride exclusively? I didn't realize it was that large.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bfar33 said:

I'm starting to get serious about checking it off the list this year. Would be on a DR650, are the 'hard routes' do-able for a mediocre at best rider on a bush pig?

Is the return traffic just due to the LAB2V ride exclusively? I didn't realize it was that large.

Are you shuttling the bike or riding door to door? If riding the whole thing I’d probably skip the hard routes. My friends do the hard ways but they are on small bikes and enjoy tough trails.

The traffic isn’t correlated to LAB-V, it’s the post Thanksgiving traffic coming back from Vegas. I haven’t been in it but know a few people who were frustrated by it. Combine typical Sunday Vegas traffic + holiday.

I’d consider riding back some or scheming with @shutterrev and @padu on shuttling.

• Like 2

@Goofy Footer I think it’s a good idea to keep this convo going with interested folks, i have an aluma trailer, I’m sure we all have some options we can discuss. For my first time was going to not do the extreme stuff, since I don’t know what their rating scale is but LAB2V has been something I’ve wanted to do for a long time - looking forward to it when I can make it happen 🤙🏻

• Like 1

Am I incorrect, or is all of the route public trails?  I like bike events for all the cool stuff to see and people to meet but I hate riding in a thousand people's dust and being held up by slower riders/holding up faster riders.   Would it be realistic to run this route or a very similar route on any other weekend with just a smaller group of riders?  

Edited by tntmo
Grammar/spelling: Thank you to my 3rd grade teacher
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Are you shuttling the bike or riding door to door? If riding the whole thing I’d probably skip the hard routes. My friends do the hard ways but they are on small bikes and enjoy tough trails.

The traffic isn’t correlated to LAB-V, it’s the post Thanksgiving traffic coming back from Vegas. I haven’t been in it but know a few people who were frustrated by it. Combine typical Sunday Vegas traffic + holiday.

I’d consider riding back some or scheming with @shutterrev and @padu on shuttling.

Doh, didn't realize it was T-day weekend. I watched some Youtube hard-route vids and yeah I'll save that for when I finally get a 350/450/500. 😓

I'll go ahead and pledge to do it this year. Was planning on riding door to door but if others are going might be open to joining forces and/or shuttling. Will most likely skip the hard routes unless there are one or two known to be super fun or especially scenic (and doable).

Hey @shutterrev you can have my 3-bike trailer if it helps you with any of these plans. I can't take time away from Thanksgiving to do stuff like this, but I'm happy to help out with gear.

• Like 1

I'm still considering... watching the videos, 90% or more are using plated dirt bikes... and there are some really gnarly sections. I want to better understand the "easy" route before signing up for it.

35 minutes ago, padu said:

I'm still considering... watching the videos, 90% or more are using plated dirt bikes... and there are some really gnarly sections. I want to better understand the "easy" route before signing up for it.

It's a District 37 Event, Just remember the difficulty scale context isn't ADV, Sand wash / sand whoops - for skinny bikes is the easy route, vs technical gnar.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:50 AM, shutterrev said:

It's a District 37 Event, Just remember the difficulty scale context isn't ADV, Sand wash / sand whoops - for skinny bikes is the easy route, vs technical gnar.

So, if you're in a ADV bike... it's all gnarly...

Question is... feasible?

19 minutes ago, padu said:

Question is... feasible?

I love the way you think.

But only you can determine the answer to that. 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, padu said:

Question is... feasible?

Yeah I have no idea how to answer that, everyone’s scale and ability is so different 🤙🏻🫡

Well, my brother and his wife invited us up to SF for Thanksgiving. My wife said she doesn't want to go because the whole point of not traveling to our respective hometowns for holidays is to not travel.

TL;DR, @padu I'm in.

• Like 1