shutterrev

Tusk DSport (rear) - ~550 mile check in

So way back in May of this year I mentioned I put on the Tusk DSport Adventure Tire, and that it was $69 shipped, and harder than a two dollar steak

All of those things are true, but I just wanted to pop in for a ~550 mile report... 

~550 Mile tire thoughts: The tire performs well in all our desert terrains, it hasn't been a huge departure, if any at all, from the more expensive (but great) MotoZ Desert HT I had on before.  it has been hooking up everywhere I need it to, doesn't seem to be wearing awfully quick, and the price is something to write home about. I like to stretch the LC4's legs on-road, no traction control, and no ABS in the rear of the bike makes a pretty good rear tire test. The tire has plenty of grip on road and if it breaks loose it isn't snatchy. It's cheap, it performs well, just budget a little more effort and time for a trail side tube repair due to stiffness. For my front tire I am really satisfied with the MotoZ Desert HT, which I run in the 90/100 21" size, I won't be running the Tusk front as I have another HT waiting, but I bet that is descent too. 

NDJ_8544.thumb.jpg.a70977897f8ab316e8bdf9eb6cf5cc61.jpg

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 2

It must be hard....looks like you've just managed to get the nubs worn off in 800 miles :)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, moto_rph said:

It must be hard....looks like you've just managed to get the nubs worn off in 800 miles :)

It’s about one or two shades softer than zip tie nylon lol. 

• Haha 1

Looked at whiteboard this morning and read wrong mileage, corrected, a little over 550 on this rear tusk tire, comments above still ring true. 

This was the tire new when I was mounting it, so in 550 miles or so you can compare the block height Below, with the picture in main post above:

F770319F-5CB3-4D28-B102-3F7344DC3B09.jpeg.cab3da235bb7965ae7e20043ccbe0c5d.jpeg

Edited by shutterrev

I have run a set of those under the 990.

2 trips to baja with luggage and another long trip thru death valley.

For the money they are really good tires, performed well and stood up to the abuse of the LC8.
I think there was almost 3K miles on the rear before I changed it out for a long trip but it still had life left. I would expect to get 4K out of the rear esp on the smaller bikes.

• Like 1

I've run the Tusk rear for a few years now and am really happy with them.  Get 1200-1500 miles out of them with no complaints, street or dirt.  Even out in the soft sand of Superstition, the tire does well

• Like 1

@crfxer yeah it’s looking based on the tread depth at mounting and ~550 miles now, that your estimate will be pretty close on mileage. At $69 shipped if it doesn’t break 2k with usable tread I’ll go back to the HT, just because I get double the mileage for double the price less fussing with tires I guess. 

Looks like a great tire for a DR650 BDR bike

Cheaper than the Dunlop D606 I’ve been using (solid tire for my application)

Let’s see an update at 1000 miles!

thanks for sharing

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Looks like a great tire for a DR650 BDR bike

Cheaper than the Dunlop D606 I’ve been using (solid tire for my application)

Let’s see an update at 1000 miles!

thanks for sharing

You read my mind. Very interested in how they compare to a d606 as that's my gold standard. I'm sure it's just as good off-road but longevity and cornering confidence are what keep me slapping D606's on DR650's.

Thanks for the review @shutterrev, and please update!

• Like 1

Before the Tusk I ran the 606.  Tusk way better in dirt and no issues for me on street.  This is on a EXC 500.  I'll have to do some research of my records to see what mileage I was getting out of the 606's for comparison

• Like 2

Good info on the Tusk dirt worthiness. I tend to think of the D606 as a heavier bike tire - DR650 / KLR650 / XR650 etc but the 500exc throws down plenty of power.

I did a 1800 mile CABDR ride on the D606 and shinko fatty front - DR650. That includes slab to Yuma and riding home from Bishop. The 606 could have done a couple more easy dualsport fire road rides after but I would have changed it before a sandy ride.

I'm running the 130/90 on my KTM 500 EXC.  The 130/90 has a nice thick rimsaver bead where the 120/90 does not.   

Edited by Van
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Van said:

I'm running the 130/90 on my KTM 500.  The 130/90 has a nice thick rimsaver bead where the 120/90 does not.   

I run 90/100/21” front and 140/80/18” rear on the 690.

The tire has surprised me and is still on the 690, the wear slows down a bit as the street profile flattens with mileage. 

I’ll update again with final mileage, I’m likely around 1,500 now but the 690 is apart in my garage. It’s a really tough choice to pick any other rear tire because it performs and is so stinking cheap, the only glaring negative of this tire is how f’n stiff it is relative to other tires I’ve run. I probably will never run the front, I do really like the MotoZ Desert HT front and it’s super easy to get on and off the rim. I may end up with another d-sport we will see. 

-Nick

Shutterrev- how does the desert HT compare to the Enduro ST. Have you ever run one? Front tire to be specific. I was thinking it may work better in the soft stuff, but is still a DOT tire.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ECDave said:

Shutterrev- how does the desert HT compare to the Enduro ST. Have you ever run one? Front tire to be specific. I was thinking it may work better in the soft stuff, but is still a DOT tire.

To be honest the Desert HT set is the best set, for me, that I have had on my 690 - specifically for what we ride here, and where we live. I get the front Desert HT in 90/100/21 and it tracks in anything I send it through here, I do adjust tire pressure from pavement to desert though (ktm 690) - 25-26 on pavement, and about 15 off road, I have no problem sending the Desert HT's in, through, up, down, and around the paved twisties all day chasing sportier bikes with stickier tires - and then you get to the trail and they jump in to the dirt or sand so well. I would only run these forever on the 690, but the expense is a lot for the mileage I put on the bike - so my missions has been to find a 'suitable' and economical rear tire option, and retain the full cost front that I trust and enjoy. 

690 w/HT's 
image.thumb.png.112790f037d50bb04953766dcf19d41e.png

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 1