padu

San Diego to San Bernardino - off road suggestions?

Please excused me if posted in the wrong area. Happy to be schooled if misposted.

I'm going to San Bernardino on the weekend, and I'd like to collect a few suggestions on what dirt routes to take that are big bike friendly. I'm ok with some gnarly stuff, but since I'll be alone, I don't want to take on too much risk.

TIA!

I have a route someone shared with me a while ago, its Ramona to Big Bear

2 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

I have a route someone shared with me a while ago, its Ramona to Big Bear

I’d like to see that. Can you share tracks?

Thanks! Any highlights on this route? Things not to miss?

Perfect 1150 GSA route. I take this ever time. Except up to BB, I  take the Rutherford trail leaving on the 38,200 meter past Angel's Oak on the big dirt parking lot. In BB you can take the Coxey trail out of Fawnskin north. I rode ther all the way to California City, Ridgecrest dirt.

Stay safe and have fun.

Let someone know when and where you going.

Edited by Mr.JAJA
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

See if this works, and mods, if I am not supposed to openly share tracks, let me know.

mesa grande to big bear-1.zip

Love this route! There's a couple spots I haven't been on this, thanks for posting

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pokey151 said:

mods, if I am not supposed to openly share tracks, let me know

Share all you can! Our community needs more of this. Currently, we don't have an official way to do this, but I'd love to find a good way to build a track library.

• Like 2

is anyone else able to open this file I get an error after downloading and opening in basecamp

I was able to open it without any problems on gpx.studio (the best GPX viewer ever, IMO)

Yeah I opened it there too was trying to get the details of the file

how far etc need mapsource for that

This is a great little ride! I cant wait to try it, how long did it take? Curious about the timing, could you make it up and back within a day?

Pokey151, I'd be up for that ride: Ramona to Big Bear, when I get back.  We'll talk come September...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlphaOgre said:

This is a great little ride! I cant wait to try it, how long did it take? Curious about the timing, could you make it up and back within a day?

No, it's a long day from Ramona to  BigBear via dirt. If you race, you take a larger risk. And there is still some Street involved. 

Member Kato originally built this route many years ago. He shared it with me, I made a couple of minor improvements to it, and believe I shared it with Pokey a couple of years ago. I've ridden it quite a few times now, both as a 2 dayer to BB and back and as the first leg of several longer multi-day trips to places like the Sierras or DV. It's a fun route and I consider it easy. If anyone has questions about it, I'd be happy to answer if I can. It's a 6-hour ride at a fast pace. 8 hours+ with a group.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, J5ive said:

Pokey151, I'd be up for that ride: Ramona to Big Bear, when I get back.  We'll talk come September...

Sounds good, just let me know

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

Member Kato originally built this route many years ago. He shared it with me, I made a couple of minor improvements to it, and believe I shared it with Pokey a couple of years ago. I've ridden it quite a few times now, both as a 2 dayer to BB and back and as the first leg of several longer multi-day trips to places like the Sierras or DV. It's a fun route and I consider it easy. If anyone has questions about it, I'd be happy to answer if I can. It's a 6-hour ride at a fast pace. 8 hours+ with a group.

Yes, you are the one who shared it with me.   It’s been quite a few years.    We did it to prep for the TAT.  We rode up and I wanted to do the same way back but my buddy was wiped out so we did the freeway back to San Diego.  Long day for sure but some spots were pretty scenic. 

• Like 1

Depart Ramona, make way to Pamo Rd, forest route 12S07, black canyon, Mesa grande to 76, to 79, 79 to Lost Valley / California riding and hiking trail, thomas mtn, rouse truck trail, bee canyon, and forest rte 4S05. This will pop you out on the 243 south of Banning. Reference

• Like 1