spazegun2213

7/31 Nate Harrison for Newbies ride

Titles that also fit... "Come to watch bikes fall over" or "Don't forget leg day ride" ahhh and I could go on for a while.

Well, after a post here and a few on the FB group it looks like there are a few local newbies that are looking to get out and ride. Sooooo I figure I'll "organize" a ride up/down/around Nate Harrison and then maybe food after (there is a pub close by that has amazing burgers). All of you that actually know how to ride are welcome to come and help us pick up our bikes, teach us a thing or two.... or just point and laugh. 

Where: Pala Gas Station 
When: 7/31, KSU at 8:30am... I'll try to be there by 8am
Route: Gas station then up Nate Harrison

I'm 100% up to exploring more, but I don't know this area that well. 

Please bring:

• It goes without saying its going to be Hot... like melt your nuts off hot. I'd say bring about 2x as much water as you think you'll need, because you may need to give some to an idiot that loses their water while riding 🙄 Not that I've ever done that.... *cough*
  • A snack is also a good thing... I'm new to this, and I can say after an hour of wrestling around with a 500lb motorcycle takes a lot out of you. Seriously, I *thought* muscling a 400lb sport bike around was a work out... my tiger just them to "hold my beer." 
  • first aid kit, They are nice to have, and for once I'm riding a bike that has plenty of room for activities!
  • compressor, if you feel you need one. Frankly my tiger is taking a nap whether I'm at 15psi, or 40psi... but I'll have one anyway 
  • tools/patch kit, and their instructions.... uhh were newbies lol
  • I'm sure I'm forgetting something, please feel free to tell me what it is and I'll amend this post. 

The motley crew:

1. Spaze
  2. Pat - unsure of SN
  3. Mike -unsure of SN
  4. Hawkins 
  5. IanT - maybe

Good on ya for posting up a ride like this.

It'll be a blast I'm sure.

I'd be down to do this. I am not a newbie, but I really enjoy helping people learn, supporting new riders, and just enjoying the view. I'll have a good tool bag, first aid, and lots of water. For those on the fence about going on this ride, I would classify it as a good first-time-on-dirt ride provided you are comfortable steering where you intended to go. The road is wide and flat, but there is no guardrail to keep you from falling. As with anything new, go slow, be intentional, ride within your skill level, and give yourself breaks from time to time. I'll be there to help out anyone that needs it. I'll be on the big black Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport ES DCT. I might get my wife to come with me!

• Like 1

I will try to be there.  Been up Nate Harrison a few times but never down it… always headed for the twistiest and back down Black Canyon T to Ramona. I am still learning off-road so very slow. Everyone should feel free to pass. 😄

I am hoping this isn't a one off thing.  I want to go but I am out of the area until August.

4 hours ago, Apex2433 said:

I am hoping this isn't a one off thing.

I am always down to do a newbie ride.

16 hours ago, IanT said:

I will try to be there.  Been up Nate Harrison a few times but never down it… always headed for the twistiest and back down Black Canyon T to Ramona. I am still learning off-road so very slow. Everyone should feel free to pass. 😄

Honestly, in all my sportbike days, I always *hated* Palomar. Its far away (from me), short, heavily trafficked and the pavement was only ever "just ok." Its way more fun on the dirt, and going down is probably 2x as easy as up, lol. 

6 minutes ago, Hawkins said:

I am always down to do a newbie ride.

Ditto! I've been trying to get out to Otay 1-2x a month to improve my gravel skills, and if people want more we can try for a "monthly ride." That said, I should really look here to see if there is already something like that, lol 

1 hour ago, spazegun2213 said:

Its way more fun on the dirt, and going down is probably 2x as easy as up, lol. 

Only if you are pedaling. 😀

I'm in for this ride.  I was lucky enough to ride up it once with Hawkins...it'll be new experience coming down.

Thanks for putting it together.

Unfortunately it will need to be another time for me.  My personal secretary (aka wife) told me that I am signed up for range cleanup at Escondido Fish & Game that Sunday. 
But another time… soon?

Count me in. I will be heading up the 67 out of Lakeside around 7:15 if anybody wants to link up.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:40 PM, Hawkins said:

I'd be down to do this. I am not a newbie, but I really enjoy helping people learn, supporting new riders, and just enjoying the view. I'll have a good tool bag, first aid, and lots of water. For those on the fence about going on this ride, I would classify it as a good first-time-on-dirt ride provided you are comfortable steering where you intended to go. The road is wide and flat, but there is no guardrail to keep you from falling. As with anything new, go slow, be intentional, ride within your skill level, and give yourself breaks from time to time. I'll be there to help out anyone that needs it. I'll be on the big black Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport ES DCT. I might get my wife to come with me!

Same here.  I’ll bring  support items as well like some water and tools and a med kit 

does anyone else  running the event use or have a Cardo?  I’d be more then willing to volunteer as either the sweep or the middle rider to look out for ppl  

how newbie of a route is this ? Any room for the more advanced riders to make it a bit more interesting for themselves ?

I am definitely a maybe, like 50/50 on going.   Been down and out for about a month and I have very little energy and would like to do a mellow ride.   

7 hours ago, FastnFried said:

how newbie of a route is this ? Any room for the more advanced riders to make it a bit more interesting for themselves ?

Probably not. It’s just a nice easy dirt and gravel ride up that’s gorgeous with epic views from the top. Definitely a must-do for SD county exploration. 

23 minutes ago, Zubb said:
7 hours ago, FastnFried said:

Any room for the more advanced riders to make it a bit more interesting for themselves ?

Probably not.

But don’t let that keep you from attending! Once you get to the end of the trail… just keep going. Link up with another more experienced rider at the ride and find more challenging routes. Part of being a newbie is gaining the community. Come ride with folks who still have the injection marks on their tires. :) They’ll be ready for bigger stuff soon.

Can't make this ride unfortunately, but if someone wants to grab these tire change 'coupons' and pass them around to the newer folks send me a message and we can meet up. (I'm in Clairemont)

BTW no affiliation what-so-ever with 8 Ball, just an occasional customer (when I'm too lazy to install a tire), and they handed me these to pass out to folks last time I was there.

IMG_8130.jpg

• Like 2

I have a Rabiconda and some tire tools. @shutterrev does too. I'm in San Marcos and he's further south. Save your bucks with tire changes and learn to do the work yourself, if you want, just hit me up.

Werd, I actually would suggest newer guys learn to change their tires with hand tools only instead of a Rabiconda. Can really save your butt on the trail/Baja/etc, especially if you're alone. That's how I do them in my garage 98% of the time to keep the skill fresh, but I do borrow a friend's Rabiconda when jamming a mousse tube in my dirtbike wheels. Anyway, just trying to get rid of these (coupon makes installation $5).

Sorry for the derail Spaze! Wish I could make this ride but I'll be moving this weekend. ☹️

Have fun!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bfar33 said:

I actually would suggest newer guys learn to change their tires with hand tools only instead of a Rabiconda. Can really save your butt on the trail/Baja/etc, especially if you're alone.

Agreed!

3 hours ago, bfar33 said:

Werd, I actually would suggest newer guys learn to change their tires with hand tools only instead of a Rabiconda. Can really save your butt on the trail/Baja/etc, especially if you're alone. That's how I do them in my garage 98% of the time to keep the skill fresh, but I do borrow a friend's Rabiconda when jamming a mousse tube in my dirtbike wheels. Anyway, just trying to get rid of these (coupon makes installation $5).

Sorry for the derail Spaze! Wish I could make this ride but I'll be moving this weekend. ☹️

Have fun!!

I change the tires on the 690 by hand anyway, when teaching people how to swap tires/tubes manually, it also makes a nice stable platform, using the lever is optional :) The rabaconda really makes it's money with the newer style ADV Bike rims, just makes a process already known... faster... The tubed rims with center spokes (ex: Did DirtStar tubed wheels) are a lot faster and easier by hand than the outer-spoked rims the newer tubeless offerings have (ex: 1250gsa rims) since the bead-wall is more involved, spokes go to edge, tire has more to get around. Anyway..... the thing paid it's self off when I had a GS in like 3 tire changes, now it's just a really nice tool to have when needed :)

Fun Fact: Rabaconda won't work well for wheels that hub mount (like the 1200/1250 GS rear wheel) without an adapter.

Funner fact: I recently mounted a Tusk D-Sport tire by hand, and sweet baby Jesus those things are made out of solid Nylon. If you really want to get the 'full experience' don't use any lube, and mount a set of those puppies to some tubeless spoke-out wheels on a hot summer afternoon. 

As Hawkins said, if anyone wants a class, or some help changing their tires, I am in east county - and have a stack of used tires in the back yard that I use to address Husky-Holes on my fenceline :)

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, shutterrev said:

As Hawkins said, if anyone wants a class, or some help changing their tires, I am in east county - and have a stack of used tires in the back yard that I use to address Husky-Holes on my fenceline :)

I do!

• Like 1