KTMrad

Handy Stuff for Wiring Repairs on the Trail

July 6, 2022

Doing some rewiring and a couple new connectors on the rig. Blazer PB 207 pocket micro torch (about 3" long) produces a flame up to 2500 degrees, and solder seal wire connectors work great (solder is inside the plastic sleeve, just gotta apply enough heat to melt the solder).

This torch can start your campfires also.

20220706_131511.jpg

20220706_131517.jpg

20220706_161420.jpg

20220706_161506.jpg

20220706_161555.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah those connectors work well, excellent idea to carry some in tool kit! Regular Bic type lighter also produces enough heat in my experience. 🙂

If you want to up your solder game, add a flux pen to your trail kit. Often the wire that needs to be soldered will be dirty with oil/grease or oxidized. Solder tends to not stick well in these situation. Simply wipe the exposed metal surfaces with a flux pen before forming the mechanical bond that will then be soldered. Once you give it a try you'll be hooked.

does anyone know of a place locally to purchase the connectors?

No, . . . but, don't do what I did and order up some on Amazon without looking closely at the description.  There are connectors that are heat shrink (the shield over the wires and crimp connection), and then there are these pictured where the solder blob actually melts over the connection.  I have a lifetime supply of the wrong ones now, DOH!

57 minutes ago, Zubb said:

No, . . . but, don't do what I did and order up some on Amazon without looking closely at the description.  There are connectors that are heat shrink (the shield over the wires and crimp connection), and then there are these pictured where the solder blob actually melts over the connection.  I have a lifetime supply of the wrong ones now, DOH!

I like that kind, feel free to pass them along to me!

• Like 1