DSM8

Tech Day - Saturday July 23rd

Thank you @DSM8 for hosting the day.  It was so much fun to meet everyone, put faces to names, but most importantly to be able to enjoy some great company. Stupidly I didn’t actually take any photos to share… was too busy chatting and eating hot dogs!

ABC rule of welding: Always Be Comfortable.   

Strength > Beauty 

A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't! 

Nice job!! 

2 hours ago, tntmo said:

ABC rule of welding: Always Be Comfortable.   

Strength > Beauty 

A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't! 

Nice job!! 

yeah that box was a paint because of the lid and latches wasn't able to get it to sit flat, and the box being made out of 5000x AL that was really contaminated from years of exposure also added to the fun.

I ended using jack stands on the inside to get it high enough to clear the lid with that being over the side of the table.
Since I have to cook out a lot of stuff I used copper plates under the weld area to act as heat sinks.
Only had one area you can see some burn thru on the indie (no picture) so other than being totally out of position and not having welded AL for bout 6 months I know it is strong enough to at least stop the cracking.

• Like 2

My welding looks like Stevie Wonder did it, using his feet.  

21 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Reinforcing weir riders topcase

ugly welds standing up and leaning over does not make for good welder position 

2C448D62-1C47-41E8-B7AE-BCC9957866BE.jpeg

That's good enough for a Suzuki. But you have to watch the overhead hight on gas stations now. The box is raised by 1/8".

Edited by Mr.JAJA
Ad text
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

That's good enough for a Suzuki. But you have to watch the overhead hight on gas stations now. The box is raised by 1/8".

3.175MM for those from across the pond, or talk funny like Udo there duz

I didn't think of taking more or better pics, so my quick snaps will have to do. Feel free to add more context to any photo.

shop-1.jpg.71a30619b3f3614ab0d9fa11b5299fbc.jpg

@DSM8 has a very well-equipped shop. Focused mainly on machining, it easily handled all the work we needed to do.

shop-2.jpg.1bea1daf05a5a27efaec74b4b12371fb.jpg

@PerigrinoRobbino, aka Max, brought in his F 850 GS Edition 40 Years GS. @DSM8 and I fixed up his turn signals (well, I fixed one and broke the other, which @DSM8 then fixed!), secured a wobbly headlight, relocated his GPS mount, and added a tank bag. The tank bag addition required some customer fabrication which @DSM8 did a killer job on. Hey Max, upload an image of his handiwork!

shop-3.jpg.70c535b59606421e48616405f5c75fbb.jpg

The KTM got an oil change. Man, that is a sweet bike.

shop-4.thumb.jpg.8141103f289d497a5f67a00edd6c9407.jpg

"Ok, now turn over the engine and cough."

shop-5.jpg.e4c5449c1066b82e6fe73d29be0342ec.jpg

This dude's bike was covered end to end with custom everything. Even the seat is fancy - ostrich leather! And yes, that is a tablet mount on the front fairing so it doesn't swivel with the handlebars. Really sweet bike.

younger_crowd.jpg.0416515b449aba7a8e6ef9f003b22e03.jpg

@PerigrinoRobbino and I anchored the average age of the group. The dude looks 11, but he's tough as nails.

lights.thumb.jpg.ff7e76eddddb1d0042fd093b22980690.jpg

These lights came recommended by @DSM8. Super tough and easy to mount damn near anywhere. Bolt right through the center and then run 12v to them - done.

• Like 2