DSM8

Tech Day - Saturday July 23rd

DOORS OPEN 9am

We have had a number of new members join and many seem to be in the North County area.

Might be time for another tech day?
This is an informal gathering where people can come together in meat space.

And actually put human faces to the names.

It is always on a Saturday (I am thinking maybe the 23rd).
Typically its an oil change simple maint kind of projects. Full shop with tools is here to work in and I can take care of oil disposal.
Tire changes etc can be done but your leaving with your old tires (there is an 8ball down the street they will take your old tires for like $5 each or something like that).

This is also the time to get any AL skid plates repaired if needed, I can tig weld AL and stainless. Simple repairs on tech days easy to do, more complicated bring it with and lets take a look.

All repairs (tig welding) require a donation to be made to this site, I do not charge for my services.

Thoughts?
(including the new guys I have found so far since they might not make it into this part of the forum and see this post) Please expand to others that are new I might have missed.
Location is in Escondido just down the hill from Stone Brewing

If enough interests we do hotdogs or such on the grill, BYOB

@J5ive @failedmusician @AlphaOgre @Hawkins @moto_rph @IanT 

@KLanceR @ECDave

925 Chardonney Way
Escondido, CA 92029

• Like 1

That would be great. It would be wonderful to catch up in person with everyone.  👍

…and I might be able to get some help and advice from you all on working on the bike.  My “skills” are definitely a work in progress. 😂

I think that's a GREAT idea GSM8 and I appreciate being invited.  The 23rd is my wife's birthday however.  After being married 42 years, I want to make sure I make 43 :)

I will be there on the next invite!!

Perry

19 hours ago, IanT said:

That would be great. It would be wonderful to catch up in person with everyone.  👍

…and I might be able to get some help and advice from you all on working on the bike.  My “skills” are definitely a work in progress. 😂

A thread like this is a good place to start asking some questions depending on the issue/topic there might be a residential expert (think KLR Doohicky for example) that might show up to help and bring specialized tools if needed.

I might ride up there and help/hang out for that depending on my availability. The last one was nice to put names to faces. 

I need to check valve clearance on my 690, I do most all the other service no problem, just have never checked or adjusted valves before - would love to be shown how to do that correctly sometime - I could also potentially hold a tech-day at my place in East County (Lakeside area), sometime this summer as well… have the space, garage and tools for it. 

I'd love to be part of this! I can bring a tire truing stand w/ weights, new valve stem cores and caps, and and good assortment of electrical gear: wire, waterproof crimp connectors, heat gun, various fittings/connectors, and small fuses. If any of these items are already available onsite, let me know and I'll leave them behind. If we need a Rabaconda, I have that too along with irons and tire lube.

Come September-October-ish, I'll have one of these: YesWelder Firstess CT2050: Powerful 7-in-1 Welder & Cutter

My end goal is to have my own shop to support my family's adventure, dirt, and trial bikes as well as household projects. I had a shop back in Seattle that catered largely to wood and household maintenance, which I am thankfully no longer on the hook for since selling that home. Now I'll pay contractors to do the "work" while I play. :) Once things are up and usable I'll open my shop & services to the community so that those of us in/around San Marcos have a place to wrench and weld.

I should be in town, I like beer and BBQ and can help screw up most any maintenance going on! 

In like Flynn. Confirm the date and I’ll bring the Australian bits and some PB Blaster. 

I've be very interested in joining this...Thanks for the invite DSM8.  I would love meeting others face to face.

Ok it looks like we got enough interest to cement the date on this.
Title has been updated and first post also updated with Location.

So Sat the 23rd, gates open around 830am since it tends to get hot this time of year. 

Those driving (with the exception of @Mr.JAJA) please park on the street. (Udo park on the right side of the driveway if you show up )

Plan to bring your own fluids (oil etc) if doing that kind of work. Disposal can be handled on my end.

Will most likely have hot dogs and some soda. Or bring your own can throw in the cooler.

All OIL CHANGE MUST BE DONE IN THE WORKSHOP, there is also covered RV parking so some other types of maint work can be done there is we run out of room.
I should have any tools needed unless it is some very specialized tool for something specific. But I can pretty much get any kinda nut off, I mean it cant fight it it's a liquid right (plasma cutter) ?

@tubebender

@J5ive @failedmusician @AlphaOgre @Hawkins @moto_rph @IanT 

@KLanceR @ECDave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, moto_rph said:

next time gents!

Rather have you mad at me than my wife :)

On some other forums the comment would be made bring her with, she can make us sammiches.
But that would be rude.

😀

Keep the wife happy it allows for more bikes in the garage.

3 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Keep the wife happy it allows for more bikes in the garage.

No words have ever been more true....

Put it on my calendar...looking forward to meeting everyone.

@DSM8 thanks for organizing this. Let me know if you need any supplies (hot dogs, sodas, coffee, etc…)?  

… also I was planning to re-jet my DR650 carb based on setting Ed Stover gave me.  if anyone has experience with this on the DR I would love to do this with some support and expertise present. I have the jets so no special tools needed just patience with, as my wife likes to describe me, the worlds worst mechanic!  You can’t beat that loving support. 😂 

• Like 1

Bringing back to top so we can start getting a headcount 

55 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

Bringing back to top so we can start getting a headcount 

i am in

2 hours ago, tubebender said:

I'll be there to caution anyone who wants you to do lathe work.   :rolleyes:

They will be fine we wont let you near the lathe

20 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

I’m planning on it

Should I bring a Alu plate 4 you top box?

1 hour ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Should I bring a Alu plate 4 you top box?

Yes please 🙏🏻

On 7/18/2022 at 11:19 AM, Wierdrider said:

Yes please 🙏🏻

Jim, let me know the size,  so I  don't bring the whole sheet. 

4 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Jim, let me know the size,  so I  don't bring the whole sheet. 

Oh we all know you just want to bring your sheet so you show off it's size....
I have a plasma cutter if needed.

• Confused 1