Sign in to follow this  
Biker Jones

My impromptu solo ride today Kitchen Creek - La Posta Truck Trail

Headed out East on Old Hwy 80 to Kitchen Creek Rd, paved road to just past Cibbots Flat Campground where it is then gated off. Someone I met there told me about the road out of Cibbots Flat Campground. It is called Fred Canyon Rd (easy trail, nice and flowy). It is blocked up to Sunrise at Thing Valley Road, so I took Thing Valley down (sketchy decent for me),. I didn't know where was going. Ended up on La Posta Truck trail, though I didn't know the name until later. Wide small gravel road winding under power lines. Took be back to Old Hwy 80. Then home. Nice day.

PXL_20220704_234334536.jpg

PXL_20220704_234325705.jpg

Nicely done BJ! Glad you got out. Thanks for sharing.

That’s a wonderful loop. “Thing” was particularly fun too until sadly a land owner in the middle of it decided to block passage last year. 
Fred is always a hoot!  Glad you found it. And thanks for posting. 

1 hour ago, ECDave said:

Good to see we didnt beat you up too bad on Sunday!! 

Yeah, my quadraceps were/are a bit sore, and I wanted to do something chill as a recovery. It was good. I'm really disappointed about how many "roads" are blocked for through travel. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, especially those connections to Sunrise. 20 years ago I bet a person could go lots more places.

29 minutes ago, Biker Jones said:

Yeah, my quadraceps were/are a bit sore, and I wanted to do something chill as a recovery. It was good. I'm really disappointed about how many "roads" are blocked for through travel. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, especially those connections to Sunrise. 20 years ago I bet a person could go lots more places.

So true unfortunately.  Still lots of good stuff around, just need to enjoy those places before they get closed too.  Have you been up Pine Creek?

1 hour ago, crfxer said:

So true unfortunately.  Still lots of good stuff around, just need to enjoy those places before they get closed too.  Have you been up Pine Creek?

I rode up Pine Creek first thing when I got my XT! Had previously done it on my NC700X and partially on my MTB so I could take Nobel Canyon Trail back down.

I'm curious about going further up La Posta, on Google maps it looks like it ends also, so no loop. I also passed Cameron Truck Trail on the way home, which I remembered from reading a post here. So, now that's on my list. I want to explore all the accessible roads/trails in this area. Looks like some may even wander out into Anza Borrego area, maybe, possibly? And out to Jacumba?

La Posta turns into Thing Valley up on the mountain where a landowner put up locked gates,  can't get thru anymore.

1 hour ago, Biker Jones said:

I'm curious about going further up La Posta, on Google maps it looks like it ends also, so no loop. I also passed Cameron Truck Trail on the way home, which I remembered from reading a post here. So, now that's on my list. I want to explore all the accessible roads/trails in this area. Looks like some may even wander out into Anza Borrego area, maybe, possibly? And out to Jacumba?

La Posta north of Thing Valley only goes a short ways before it ends at private property

4 minutes ago, crfxer said:

La Posta north of Thing Valley only goes a short ways before it ends at private property

Thanks for letting me know so I don't waste time going up there. Cheers.

You done good!     Fred Canyon is one of the best trails around (for us mid to big bike folks)....and Thing Valley down to La Posta can be interesting....you never know where the rocks will be in the middle of that section....lol.

I  had heard somewhere that supercross legend Jeremy McGrath owns the property where La Posta Truck trail ends at a gate (about 100 feet past Thing Valley trail)You can see remnants of various MX tracks in this area.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/32.7914114,-116.3916679/32.7991807,-116.3835716/@32.7965853,-116.3920001,1224m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

6 hours ago, KTMrad said:

La Posta turns into Thing Valley up on the mountain where a landowner put up locked gates,  can't get thru anymore.

Yup.... a real bummer this happened.   Glad I got to ride thru there a couple times to Sunrise HWY before the bastid shut it down.

That gate is here:    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/32.8135772,-116.4073365/32.818574,-116.4072983/@32.816081,-116.4102647,1029m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2