Sign in to follow this  
cj54x

Pine Valley to Corral Canyon 7-3-22

Sunday morning we are going to ride from Pine Valley to Corral Canyon. We are meeting at the Cul-de-sac at 8:00. High temp forecast 81. Everyone is welcome.

Ken

• Like 1

Awesome ride! It was just the right challenge for me. That second cycle trail up to just below the fire lookout was exceptional. Thanks for a great ride guys. Sorry, I'm still learning names.

28 minutes ago, crfxer said:

You make it ok , Ken?

Yeah, I posted in the ride report section. Randy gets uppity when you post in the wrong section :)

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2022 at 12:37 PM, cj54x said:

Yeah, I posted in the ride report section. Randy gets uppity when you post in the wrong section :)

Good boy ! 😅

• Confused 1

Just say no to 80/20 tires. 

i got arm pump from holding on to the front edge of my desk while watching that!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, rich 412 said:

Got the Dunlop Mission tires now. Experimenting with Psi.

A client had them on his 1250 GS. Was running them on the Baja tour. Unfortunately he broke his leg halfway up to Mikes sky Ranch so we stuffed him in the truck and I shuttled back to ride his bike up.

In spite of earlier encouragement, he was running them at 36/40 Street pressure.  They were worthless in sand and not much better everywhere else. The next morning I was riding it out to Lazaro and decided to drop to 30/30 (where I usually run the RallZ’s) as the sand had been graded to that nice deep fluffy pre-race stuff. That improved them immensely to what I’d call a 60street/40trail level of “control”. 
Had no trouble going slow through the rocks there also. 

I have no doubt these will be a nightmare in mud. 

From My experience of a few hours,,,, it’s a great tire that seriously limits where one can go in the desert. The trickier the terrain gets, the better rider you have to be to keep it upright and moving. 

Would love to hear your thoughts on them after a few months. I only rode them for a few hours up to Mikes and back out. 

7 hours ago, ECDave said:

i got arm pump from holding on to the front edge of my desk while watching that!!!!!!!!!!

this means your suspension is not right, not enough spring to hold up the rear end. You might be able spin your chair about 10 times clockwise to tighten it up. let us know how this works.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

A client had them on his 1250 GS. Was running them on the Baja tour. Unfortunately he broke his leg halfway up to Mikes sky Ranch so we stuffed him in the truck and I shuttled back to ride his bike up.

In spite of earlier encouragement, he was running them at 36/40 Street pressure.  They were worthless in sand and not much better everywhere else. The next morning I was riding it out to Lazaro and decided to drop to 30/30 (where I usually run the RallZ’s) as the sand had been graded to that nice deep fluffy pre-race stuff. That improved them immensely to what I’d call a 60street/40trail level of “control”. 
Had no trouble going slow through the rocks there also. 

I have no doubt these will be a nightmare in mud. 

From My experience of a few hours,,,, it’s a great tire that seriously limits where one can go in the desert. The trickier the terrain gets, the better rider you have to be to keep it upright and moving. 

Would love to hear your thoughts on them after a few months. I only rode them for a few hours up to Mikes and back out. 

I’m riding a tiger 800 with no bags or pillion. I’ve been running them 24/24 and they’ve been very nice off-road including the run from the Jasper Trail down Grapevine Canyon to the 78 hwy. I am just wondering if there’s a risk in running the tire pressure too low. Even on the road they don’t feel wallowing

22 hours ago, SANRider said:

Bub_Hannah has been known to 😂

This is up there with all the YouTube ADV videos.  Great riding and thanks for sharing.  I need to build up to that.

15 hours ago, rich 412 said:

I’m riding a tiger 800 with no bags or pillion. I’ve been running them 24/24 and they’ve been very nice off-road including the run from the Jasper Trail down Grapevine Canyon to the 78 hwy. I am just wondering if there’s a risk in running the tire pressure too low. Even on the road they don’t feel wallowing

That's awesome.  Pretty low pressure to still not wallow on pavement.  Grapevine gets pretty loose in the summer too so that's a great report.  They're very stiff and heavy, so I'm not too surprised.  You're about 100lbs lighter than a 1250 too.  Watch out for those imbedded rocks and holes though . . . but you already knew that.

On 7/8/2022 at 2:13 PM, rich 412 said:

I've run 22 front and 24 rear on my 950 Adventure on trips, fully loaded, when I'm doing a lot of off-road. When I have lots of street miles to do, I stop to air them up.

I suggest you run the high quality heavy duty tubes. I never pinch a tube.

On 7/8/2022 at 6:34 AM, ECDave said:

LMAO.....   I still get arm pump when I watch myself in that video!    Mike tricked me....   "lets just go a little further"....:crazy:    That trail was a blast..... even in the few sections I had to duck walk (off camber, loose rocks).   There were a couple sections I got lucky and didn't drop or go down.       So it can be done on a bigger bike....but obviously easier on skinny bikes.       

I'll chime in on the Dunlop Trailmax missions 50/50.    These were a very good tire for me....very good road feel and very capable off road.   Just stay out of the mud with them.   Mud is terrifying on them...even moreso when they are worn.     Sand  within reason is "doable" like Kelly said....but certainly not their strong point. 

I did switch up to the Motoz Rallz after the Trailmax.    Awesome traction in the dirt, loamy and hardpack.   YUGE difference in sand.  Haven't tried them in mud....I'm not a mud fan.    Loose gravel on hard pack....still sketchy...but that could just be my skill level and a top heavy ADV bike.    That said....you pay the price with road feel, at least in my case, I've got the skinny 21" front wheel on my TIger.  I'm not a Ricky-Racer canyon carver on road so no biggie there.   Wear is brutal....I put these on in March and they're already near toast....and I spend most off my time off road.     Part of it may be that I love to hear my Tiger roar....I may be a little throttle happy. ;)

Edited by Bub_Hannah
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2022 at 6:52 PM, rich 412 said:

Are you guys putting 500 pound adventure bikes on the Kerman cycle trail?!

Yes.