KTMrad

Please No Memes or GIF's

We don't want this forum to become like Facebook, so please don't use any Memes or GIF's in your posts.

Thanks.

Edited by KTMrad

15 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

What is a "Memes"?

Here are a couple examples of a Meme...people use them all over Facebook. 

tomemeornot3-800x400-1.jpg

sport-motorcycle-memes-1.png

• Haha 1

So this is the meme post??

Just kidding, even though I love memes I can put them elsewhere!

38 minutes ago, tntmo said:

So this is the meme post??

Just kidding, even though I love memes I can put them elsewhere!

Facebook is great for memes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KTMrad said:

Here are a couple examples of a Meme...people use them all over Facebook. 

Lucky you, I dint know how to get his anyhow

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

What is a "Memes"?

Typically it's text over an image, usually humorous, and often but not always with the 'Impact' font. 

outoftouch.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well done, Randy.

Typically memes are used passive-aggressively to punctuate overly simplified explanations for complicated issues that frustrate the posters. What they can't put into words in a positive, interactive manner, they post a meme as if "that settles it".

It's another one of the most self-embarrassing behaviors on the internet, and are often used by children.

• Like 1

There is a meme or 2.... for responding to all the comments. but you won't find it here. 

Makes for much better SDAR/Dual Sport/ADV Moto experience! Good rule boss

IMG-3354.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure I understand this rule.     I get it if we're trying to keep "politics" off of SDAR....which I fully support.  There are precious few reprieves from the constant barrage of poison politics these days.       Or am I missing something...is it a bandwidth issue?

Memes/gifs aren't exclusively polarizing,   they are witty,  funny and entertaining.       As they say...."a picture is worth a thousand words".          

If we're trying to draw in "fresh meat" to the site..... restricting this kind of thing isn't going help.    My .03 cents (adjusted for inflation)

On my Jeep site and the Landcruiser site I follow the meme funny pages are by far the most watched and used forums. I think this is very shortsighted. If someone doesn’t like them they really don’t have to read them. Not wanting to be like sites that are very successful seems odd.

CiD

44 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Not wanting to be like sites that are very successful seems odd.

To be fair, there are a LOT of successful sites that we don't want to be like.

Thumpertalk is one great example.
Facebook is another, although SDAR has a FB presence where anyone can use memes, if that's important. 

3 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

To be fair, there are a LOT of successful sites that we don't want to be like.

Thumpertalk is one great example.
Facebook is another, although SDAR has a FB presence where anyone can use memes, if that's important. 

Farcebook pages are what's killing message boards and their wealth of knowledge off.   I've personally seen two really good boards go down the drain.         I don't do Farcebook, it's a cesspool. 

SDAR doesn't have to be a clone of other successful sites.      However, restricting growth and not keeping things fresh will come at a cost.    I haven't been around as long as some of you folks here....but it sure seems traffic has dried up somewhat and that is sad.    Jessie updating the site will certainly help.

I just don't get it.  This place seems to have so many people with a great sense of humor....to restrict fun images seems counter-intuitive. 

Again.... just my .03 cents. 

Edited by Bub_Hannah

Here is a link to the Jeep forum. 20k plus pages in 4 1/2 years. No squabbles just good conversations and funny stuff and only a few people banned for not behaving. Plus a whole bunch of great info and a few new friends for me.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-humor-waiting-room-no-politics.4525/page-20532

Hope I don’t get banned for having a link to another site, I forget if that is against some silly rule.

CiD

17 hours ago, Bub_Hannah said:

.to restrict fun images seems counter-intuitive. 

If all memes were funny, I'd agree. But they're typically used in a passive agressive manner, and rarely used to support and encourage a friendly exchange of valuable information. Your observations about FB/Meta are spot on, and I think the use of memes is one of the ways FB/Meta is irritating and juvenile.

I believe your observations about this site having great potential but so little participation is also accurate. Many of us who've been around a long time are hopeful about the new management and comensurate changes.

I'm slightly hopeful now. 

• Like 1

Nothing is ever going to be funny for everyone.  And social media/forums are what you make of them, in my opinion.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Nothing is ever going to be funny for everyone.  And social media/forums are what you make of them, in my opinion.  

Sure!

But we can create an environment that supports and encourages the exchange of thoughtful and helpful dialog. We can create an environment of mutual respect, self-respect and simple courtesy.

We can be different, and we can be better.

• Like 1

I agree with your assessment Paul I’m gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that heavy handed admin rules “tend” to choke participation. And a willingness of the members and admin to overlook some party fouls along the way gives everyone  more room to breathe and enjoy the site. 

• Like 3

The recent follow up on the 2fer Tuesday ride is a great  example of overlooking rules  and letting the inmates run free. Great ride. Great follow up pics and commentary. A lot of participation and good mojo in that thread. Should have created a seperate thread under ride reports instead of continuing on a planned ride thread per the forum protocol. Was glad to see that admin didn’t throw a flag on it and slow down participation. 
Just my opinion and not a very strong one at that. I’m just happy to be here. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2022 at 9:42 PM, Covered in Dust said:

Here is a link to the Jeep forum. 20k plus pages in 4 1/2 years. No squabbles just good conversations and funny stuff and only a few people banned for not behaving. Plus a whole bunch of great info and a few new friends for me.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-humor-waiting-room-no-politics.4525/page-20532

Hope I don’t get banned for having a link to another site, I forget if that is against some silly rule.

CiD

Chris, I checked out your link...the jeep site has an entire section devoted to just humorous memes....that's entirely different than allowing memes to be posted in every section as a response to posts....that's when I think memes would get out of hand....like turning into a "meme-fest", which would take away from the content of the original posts.

So, do you all want a little "humorous meme" section having to do with motorcycles only, or anything goes memes (excluding politics) ?

Edited by KTMrad

On 8/13/2022 at 9:42 PM, Covered in Dust said:

CiD

Thanks CID,

That is a Clean site. Lead me to another 4Runner site.