Hi all, just came back from an amazing motorcycle vacation trip to Italy and the UK. This write up is about the first part in Italy since that was the adventure riding part of the vacation. The second half was dedicated to trials, which was also amazing, but this is not a trials site ;)

So Ducati, like other manufacturers, organizes training for several modalities. It's called Ducati DRE and it's offered in Italy. The one I've selected, the "DRE Adventure" is given at the Nipozzano Castle, in beautiful Tuscany during 2 days. The first one dedicated to training exercises, and the second one a nice ride around Tuscany.

The trip starts in Bologna, with a visit of the Ducati factory and Museum. It was an amazing experience to see how the V4 and V2 engines are made, and the assembly line for all bikes, including my dear Multistrada and the new DesertX. No pictures allowed inside the factory, but here are a few of the museum.

IMG_2912-L.jpg 

IMG_2980-L.jpg

IMG_3008-S.jpg IMG_2992-S.jpg IMG_2985-S.jpg

The next day, after a short hour or so drive from Borgo Panigale to the outskirts of Florence, the real fun started. As I arrived at the castle, I was received with the beautiful sight of all the training bikes aligned:

GR2_DRE_2097-L.jpg

GR2_DRE_2091-L.jpg

We had some time for classroom training with world class instructors. My instructor, Matteo Graziani participated several times on the Dakar rally and has 30+ Italian rally titles. He was the Ducati tester and expert advisor for the development of the new DesertX.

GR2_DRE_2116-S.jpg GR2_DRE_2220-S.jpg IMG_3077-S.jpg

mGR2_DRE_2125-M.jpg

After that, we went to the training course, still within the Frescobaldi Estates where we had all sorts of exercises with the selected bikes. I've selected the new DesertX, and oh boy, what a bike!

mhGR2_DRE_2166-L.jpg

mhGR2_DRE_2622-L.jpg

mGR2_DRE_2664-L.jpg

GR2_DRE_2485-L.jpg

mhGR2_DRE_2528-L.jpg

mhGR2_DRE_2652-L.jpg

The event was perfectly organized by Ducati, with lunch, dinner and tour of the Frescobaldi winery and Nipozzano Castle all included.

GR2_DRE_2455-L.jpg

GR2_DRE_2467-L.jpg

GR2_DRE_2781-L.jpg

The last day we went on a ride of Tuscany, about 60% pavement, 40% off-road.

GR2_DRE_3236-L.jpg

mGR2_DRE_3084-L.jpg

The DesertX is amazing off-road. Much more similar to a dirt bike than a big adventure motorcycle, but I already knew that from online reviews. What really surprised me was how well balanced and fast it is on the switchbacks, even more when you set SPORT on the dash and all 110 ponies come to life!

mhGR2_DRE_3085-L.jpg

mhGR2_DRE_3098-L.jpg

It was around 280 KM of fun, with pauses for snack in the forest

GR2_DRE_2964-M.jpg GR2_DRE_2969-M.jpg

Lifting techniques

mGR2_DRE_2906-L.jpg

And tire fixing lessons

GR2_DRE_2849-L.jpg

It is still fresh in my memory and it feels like a dream. I hope to have the opportunity to do this again in the future. Worthy every penny...

mhGR2_DRE_2786-L.jpg

• Like 3

I watched your youtube vids about this, looks like an awesome trip. I would like to be you when I grow up :)

Padu, you can post the Trials stuff if you want !

Great trip and photos.

you must not be married........

On 6/2/2022 at 2:53 PM, robertaccio said:

you must not be married........

I am, and I do realize how lucky I am to have a wife that's so supportive!

• Like 1

😁 I can't believe you didn't take me with you.

What an epic experience to see, ride and train with Ducati at their homeland!

Ditto, on posting the trials stuff.  Please do . . .

I hate you.     I've just realized how much my life sucks.

;)

What an incredible event!       I love Italy....it's the one place I truly did not want to come home from.

What a wonderful adventure, thank you for sharing it with us. I miss traveling and can't wait to start again. Pre-COVID and pre-kids my wife and I backpacked around the world via England, Italy, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and South Korea. The brass ring for us is to do it again once the kids are old enough to enjoy it and old enough that we actually enjoy traveling with them. Adventure biking around the globe? One day, I hope. :)

• Like 2

On 6/6/2022 at 10:20 PM, Zubb said:

😁 I can't believe you didn't take me with you.

What an epic experience to see, ride and train with Ducati at their homeland!

Ditto, on posting the trials stuff.  Please do . . .

I'll do it soon - work has a tendency of accumulating when you go out of vacation :)

I'm planning on hitting McCain on Saturday... 6:30am to about 8am with the enduro bike, then trials after that. It's just me and a buddy of mine. You're more than welcome to join

On 6/6/2022 at 10:43 PM, Bub_Hannah said:

;)

What an incredible event!       I love Italy....it's the one place I truly did not want to come home from.

I'm an Italian citizen as well. My dream is to retire in a truffle farm in Piedmont

• Like 2

On 6/6/2022 at 10:43 PM, Bub_Hannah said:

;)

Lol.

Yeah Padu, that looks like a fricken advertisement for Ducati, or Italy for that matter. All matching jerseys and pants, gourmet snacks, beautiful countryside and architecture.  Thanks for sharing.

I'd like to do one of these with KTM, but I wouldn't feel comfortable riding in Lederhosen and singing Do Re Mi.

• Like 1

LOL  ^^^^

Hell I'd wear a dress to go on one of those events. 

Seems like it's the acceptable thing to do today.....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1