Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

1994 Husaberg FC501 MXGP style machine build

some motivation for the final look is already complete. It just keeps me focused on the end game. head is in work and engine is on the engine stand.

FYI Spec sheet for mid nineties Husaberg FC501 @55bhp at 8000 RPM, under 230 Lbs.

283243373_10221120657712655_4035738039889963149_n.jpg

283449560_10221124549129938_4629709806920401841_n.jpg

• Like 1

this is the MXGP vibe I'm going after

2659_10645894186-88200a9041.jpg

Is there a petcock at the bottom of the right side  of tank?? Bottom side Looks lower than carb

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kato said:

Is there a petcock at the bottom of the right side  of tank?? Bottom side Looks lower than carb

On these weird Euro bikes that’s not called a problem, it’s called a feature.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kato said:

Husaberg engineers copied the Honda factory works RC500 tank set up and worked with Acerbis to create an OEM low boy tank.

What you don't see is a outer tank mounted Mikuni vacuum fuel pump that constantly pumps fuel to the higher petcock side of the tank. As long as the bike is running this pump is circulating fuel to the high side whether needed or not. Good observation.

1 minute ago, tntmo said:

On these weird Euro bikes that’s not called a problem, it’s called a feature.  

As weird as the machine is.....spec sheet doesn't lie, single cam, 4 valve, less than 230lbs, @ 55 Hp. With a few World Championships under it's belt before the so called AMA US centric Japanese 4 stroke craze began.

They are interesting, but in my opinion if they were “all that” they would still be around.  
Cool machine anyway, let’s see how it gets transformed into a beauty! 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 7:34 PM, tntmo said:

They are interesting, but in my opinion if they were “all that” they would still be around.  
Cool machine anyway, let’s see how it gets transformed into a beauty! 

KTM bought them out and created their now famous single cam RFS line directly based upon the Husaberg design, that 'Berg DNA can still be found in all those RFS KTMs that are still out on the trail to this day. The other side of that evolutionary tree went from the original Swede Husqvarna 4T design to the Cagiva owned Husqvarna Italy all the way through the 350/410/610/630 (570 etc) line of big single cammers. ( my 1999 TE610 is on that branch). Incidently the Husaberg design is brought in from the same engineers that designed the original Husqvarna 4T in the mid 80s. I'm happy to report that both my Husaberg 501 and Husqvarna 610 are later model oil pump equipped machines.

Continuing to be in work, update------ suspension is all complete, wheels are being laced and head is 99.9% ready, frame is ready, we are close to final assembly.

21 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

Continuing to be in work, update------ suspension is all complete, wheels are being laced and head is 99.9% ready, frame is ready, we are close to final assembly.

I bow to you....only in my wildest dreams would I attempt something as cool as this :)

42 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

@robertaccio any updated progress pics?

How difficult was it to source parts?

EBay and the mighty Taffmeisters in the UK for all sorts of stuff as well as full email tech dialogue . Lots of parts around. typically they did not change much for the entire decade .

I have brought in the engine stand to my sponsor shop NCM.net  and my chassis is getting closer for assembly. bits and bits.

https://www.taffmeisters.co.uk/index.php?cPath=232

Edited by robertaccio