✮ Techy : likes working smarter instead of harder

✮ Photographer : shoots in modes other than P

✮ Maker : prefers the DIY mindset, likes to solve problems

✮ Supertaster : thinks that propylthiouracil tastes horrible 

✮ Gamer : enjoys social, board, card, and video games

✮ Humorist : laughs often and likes to make others smile

✮ Teacher : likes helping others grasp new concepts

✮ Helper : Always ready to lend a hand

New to California in 2022 having moved here from Seattle. My family and I stayed in Ramona for a month before deciding to call San Marcos home for at least a year. My wife and I backpacked around the world, lived on the East and West Coast of the US, fostered more than ten teens and young adults, adopted two young men who are currently still in Seattle, and have three other little kids ages 3/6/6 (boy/girl twins is how we started the insanity that is parenthood). Before leaving Seattle we traveled by RV across the US twice with the three little kids making it all the way to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, a childhood stomping ground of mine and a new experience for my wife and kids. The latest chapter of my life is taking place on two wheels and man, I'm having a blast learning and gaining experience. I always down to try something new!

2022 Mountain Dash-54.jpg

(copied from my user profile)

• Like 4

Nice résumé, now everyone is gonna have to up their game on introductions.

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

• Like 1

Welcome Jesse, was good meeting you on the Mountain Dash. Look forward to having you on board with the website stuff.

• Like 1

Welcome, nice introduction 👍, and nice meeting you Sunday at the Mountain Dash. 

Had one of those AT's that was the hardest bike I ever worked on when it came to laying in a new wiring harness for the aux circuits I wanted to add.
Honda has perfected mass centralization to the point where just running wires was a nightmare under the tank and fairings.

Welcome to the board keep an eye out for tech days we host them in Escondido.

Haha!

I may be one of the few who knows what propylthiouracil is (retired pharmacist) 😄  Welcome!

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2022 at 12:19 PM, DSM8 said:

that was the hardest bike I ever worked on when it came to laying in a new wiring harness for the aux circuits

My. God. I thought it was just me! You need to have a decent set of tools and a desire to take your bike apart to really get at anything substantive.

My '21 AT AS ES DCT comes with the 12V outlet from the factory, which is superb for tapping into for cameras, GPS, etc. due to it being switched on via the ignition. Want to access it? Easy, just...

• If you have crash bars
    • Loosen all upper crash bars
    • Rotate the center crash bar mount down by removing 3 of its 4 bolts
    • Remove the left side crash bar
  • Remove tank front cover (section 2-6)
  • Remove the left middle cowl (section 2-8) 
  • Remove the left front winker cover (section 2-16)
  • Remove the inner panel cover (section 2-18)

You'll need or benefit from having a metric Allen/hex socket set, metric shallow socket set, torque wrench with ranges from 0.3 lbf-ft (3.6 lbf-in) to about 40 lbf-ft for the crash bars IIRC, and needle nose pliers or hook/pick set. For anyone that wrenches on their bike, or wants to learn to, I cannot stress enough how valuable the manufacturer's service manual is. Honda's 2020-2022 service manual for the CRF1100A/A4/D/D4 is _superb_ and makes tinkering with almost any part of your bike a real pleasure. If any AT riders want help tinkering, I'm happy to lend tools, time, and patience.

On 5/20/2022 at 3:10 PM, moto_rph said:

I may be one of the few who knows what propylthiouracil is (retired pharmacist)

I read somewhere that some people have the ability to taste this chemical and others do not, the difference being genetic and thus not learnable. Some percentage of the population tastes nothing and others get a very strong paint/chemical taste. IIRC, I can taste it. Am I on the right track?

I love random/useless knowledge like this. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkins said:

I read somewhere that some people have the ability to taste this chemical and others do not, the difference being genetic and thus not learnable. Some percentage of the population tastes nothing and others get a very strong paint/chemical taste. IIRC, I can taste it. Am I on the right track?

I love random/useless knowledge like this. :)

As a retired pharmacist, I agree with you 100%

This is random/useless knowledge 😋

Do not disassemble the rear plastics around the tail end, they are one shot put together design when bike is built damhik

if you ever need help working on yours lmk esp if you want to run an aux power harness