KTMrad

SDAR Mountain Dash 2022 - Photos, Comments, etc.

6 hours ago, padu said:

Going from dropping the bike at least 3 times on every ride 8 months ago, that comment makes my heart very warm

@padu I dropped my bike 3 times on this ride, sounds like now I just need to wait 8 months! In all seriousness, I am really new to adventure biking and haven't been on the seat of a dirt bike in 20 years. Factoring that in, I think I did great and can't wait for more opportunities to learn and grow. Thanks for being such a great sport with your bike, I saw you answering questions all day and letting other riders try it out. I love that, and I too tossed my keys to inquisitive team members.

7 hours ago, moto_rph said:

@Shutterrev and I dirt ride a bunch.  Would love to have you join us some time!

@shutterrev I am 100% down to ride with you, provided you're OK with me being kinda slow and, as noted above, falling over a lot. Like I tell my kids, to be good at something you first have to be bad at it. The more time I am behind the bars the better, and any chance I get to ride with someone and learn some new skills and routes (!) is a win to me. I'm at 206-915-3773 and Jesse@TheHawkins.us. Thanks to having 3 little kids, my schedule is pretty jammed up, especially for spontaneous rides. If you plan a week or so out, I can often make it work.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hawkins said:

@shutterrev I am 100% down to ride with you, provided you're OK with me being kinda slow and, as noted above, falling over a lot. 

You are in luck, I have a memory mapped list of day rides rides that will gradually level you up as you are comfortable. It's probably also my all time favorite thing in the world to go do rides with folks and learn, have challenges, work through them, and see others have personal victories, reach new levels etc. I'm sure well make a ride work sometime - these days Sundays are the best bet for me. 

5 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

I have a memory mapped list of day rides rides

Yes! Free this Sunday the 22nd?

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:47 PM, shutterrev said:

You are in luck, I have a memory mapped list of day rides rides that will gradually level you up as you are comfortable. It's probably also my all time favorite thing in the world to go do rides with folks and learn, have challenges, work through them, and see others have personal victories, reach new levels etc. I'm sure well make a ride work sometime - these days Sundays are the best bet for me. 

So no Death valley going up lippencott then as a first ride right?

🤣

• Haha 1

I took another pass through the GoPro and pulled a few more frames out from the Mtn Dash 

vlcsnap-2022-05-19-18h54m56s330.thumb.jpg.c862b1e786740650efeb089fcdbad51e.jpgvlcsnap-2022-05-19-18h58m03s401.thumb.jpg.33a235afa2b5fb780182e0795af51c95.jpgvlcsnap-2022-05-19-19h29m05s908.thumb.jpg.fbf7781e5b06919bc3f9be87b66bef00.jpgvlcsnap-2022-05-19-19h26m30s767.thumb.jpg.14ac44df8a29fa0bc28bb0828d3ac0d4.jpgvlcsnap-2022-05-19-18h59m37s632.thumb.jpg.6021a8269a75023980eb5ab949c9c06b.jpgvlcsnap-2022-05-19-19h00m57s960.thumb.jpg.c6032ba84b1ebd1f28abfd368ba721df.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 5:33 PM, Hawkins said:

@padu I dropped my bike 3 times on this ride, sounds like now I just need to wait 8 months! In all seriousness, I am really new to adventure biking and haven't been on the seat of a dirt bike in 20 years. Factoring that in, I think I did great and can't wait for more opportunities to learn and grow. Thanks for being such a great sport with your bike, I saw you answering questions all day and letting other riders try it out. I love that, and I too tossed my keys to inquisitive team members.

@shutterrev I am 100% down to ride with you, provided you're OK with me being kinda slow and, as noted above, falling over a lot. Like I tell my kids, to be good at something you first have to be bad at it. The more time I am behind the bars the better, and any chance I get to ride with someone and learn some new skills and routes (!) is a win to me. I'm at 206-915-3773 and Jesse@TheHawkins.us. Thanks to having 3 little kids, my schedule is pretty jammed up, especially for spontaneous rides. If you plan a week or so out, I can often make it work.

Seems like I am not far off from your level here.  I dropped on this ride too and I am always slow.  Unfortunately I think it put a rock or something in my chain and that was the end of the day.  Two kids so if you get the chance let me know when you are riding a bit in advance and I will get out there.

21 hours ago, Apex2433 said:

let me know when you are riding a bit in advance and I will get out there

Excellent! Sunday is the day I try to get my tires in the sand at best or on the asphalt at least. I have 3 little kids in my home that aren't yet able to ride a bike and my wife is interested-but-always-juggling-kids at this point so right now it is just me, Max, and @shutterrev, both of whom I met at the Mountain Dash 2022. Even then we are a bit spread out and not always able to coordinate ride time. Glad to have another person to ride with!

Were you on the yellow dirt bike/dual sport during the Mountain Dash? If so, I came up to you and another Africa Twin rider (white/red/blue color scheme), made sure you had cell signal, that you were OK, and then me and the other AT rider took off. Was that you?

6 hours ago, Hawkins said:

Excellent! Sunday is the day I try to get my tires in the sand at best or on the asphalt at least. I have 3 little kids in my home that aren't yet able to ride a bike and my wife is interested-but-always-juggling-kids at this point so right now it is just me, Max, and @shutterrev, both of whom I met at the Mountain Dash 2022. Even then we are a bit spread out and not always able to coordinate ride time. Glad to have another person to ride with!

Were you on the yellow dirt bike/dual sport during the Mountain Dash? If so, I came up to you and another Africa Twin rider (white/red/blue color scheme), made sure you had cell signal, that you were OK, and then me and the other AT rider took off. Was that you?

Yup that was me.  Still waiting on the chain and sprocket to come it.  It broke teeth off whatever got in there.  I am in Oceanside.  Got two girls and each has a little bike with maybe an hour total that they have ridden.

1 hour ago, Apex2433 said:

Got two girls and each has a little bike with maybe an hour total that they have ridden.

How old are your girls? I have a 3yo girl and twin 6yo b/g twins. Assuming ages are similar, we could do a play date.

Do you do your own wrenching on your bike?

On 5/16/2022 at 4:06 PM, Hawkins said:

I had a blast yesterday! That was my first time offroad on my 2021 Africa Twin AS ES DCT, first time attending a planned ride, and first time riding in California - lots of first. I made a lot of friends and got some cell numbers to stay in touch and setup future rides. Special thanks to everyone who posed for photos, that was fun. I could see myself coming to a future ride and getting out ahead of the crowd to get shots of everyone as they ride past me.

Click here to see the photos. Uploading them to Imgur saves the forum a lot of bandwidth. If you see a photo that you want, reach out to me and I'll email you the full sized version.

Looking forward to riding with everyone again.

-- Jesse Hawkins | jesse@thehawkins.us | 206-915-3773

2022 Mountain Dash-54.jpg

It was great meeting you Jesse and thanks for the help with your hammer to get my starter motor running again.  That was my first full day off-road trip and I had a blast. Looking forward to some future rides.  

Edited by IanT
Fixed my typos

Percussive maintenance is the way. :) Look forward to riding again.