KTMrad

SDAR Mountain Dash 2022 - Photos, Comments, etc.

Please post your photos and comments from the ride here....

Our first time putting on this event turned out to be a success. Since this ride was geared for larger adventure bikes and/or newer riders on any bikes and had quite a bit of pavement,  we had no idea what type of turnout we would get. Well we had around 50 riders show up, a few from the LA area and one from as far as Ventura, and one from Tecate. We were pretty happy with the turnout and hope to make this into a bigger, better yearly event with some possible changes to the format and hope it will grow and attract more riders.

I'd like to thank Ed Stovin of San Diego Off Road Road Coalition for coming up with the idea for this event and partnering with SDAR to make it happen. Also, many thanks to all the volunteers for all your hard work, and to Mike (ADV Bum) for bringing out the SDAR Banners, pop up canopy, tables and chairs, etc.

Another huge thank you to Moto Forza for opening up their shop on a Sunday to allow us to do registration and stage the ride from there, and thanks to all the shops who donated raffle merchandise. 

And more thanks to those who donated extra to SDORC to help keep our public lands open !

I rode with my boy Doc Holliday in the sidecar and with my good friend Mike Miani on his F800 GS, he is one of the original founding members of SDAR. Mike and I hadn't ridden together for a few years so was great to have him along.

Feel free to share your photos, comments, etc. here....thanks to all who showed up to support SDAR and SDORC !

Here are some of my photos from sign-up at Moto Forza.

20220515_091402.jpg

20220515_091406.jpg

20220515_091408.jpg

20220515_091411.jpg

20220515_091417.jpg

20220515_091425.jpg

20220515_091531.jpg

20220515_092703.jpg

20220515_092713.jpg

20220515_092737.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all, 

This was my first event after joining SDAR.  Had a great time and I want to thank everyone that did the "grunt work" to make it happen.  There's a lot of heavy lifting that goes into an event like this....just want you to know, it's appreciated :)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, shutterrev said:

Had a great time, thanks for putting on the event and it was great to see so many bikes show up ✌️

Also here is a clip of me over-trusting the kickstand placement in Descanso, @moto_rph and I have ridden together enough to have now done this to each other at least once now, lol. 

LOL!  That's the best video I've seen in a long time.  AWESOME!

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for checking on me.  The bike and I got picked up safe.  It was a blast for what I got to ride.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KTMrad said:

20220515_092713.jpg

At least I got to fix something!  

It was awesome seeing all the different bikes, this route was great for big bikes, small bikes, new riders and experienced ones.  We had great San Diego weather and delicious tacos at the end.  

I think if we can get the word out, this could be an event that sells out.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tntmo said:

100% 

• Like 3

I had a blast yesterday! That was my first time offroad on my 2021 Africa Twin AS ES DCT, first time attending a planned ride, and first time riding in California - lots of first. I made a lot of friends and got some cell numbers to stay in touch and setup future rides. Special thanks to everyone who posed for photos, that was fun. I could see myself coming to a future ride and getting out ahead of the crowd to get shots of everyone as they ride past me.

Click here to see the photos. Uploading them to Imgur saves the forum a lot of bandwidth. If you see a photo that you want, reach out to me and I'll email you the full sized version.

Looking forward to riding with everyone again.

-- Jesse Hawkins | jesse@thehawkins.us | 206-915-3773

2022 Mountain Dash-54.jpg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Hawkins said:

I had a blast yesterday!

It was great to meet you man - look forward to catching a ride sometime. 

It was a really nice ride. Good selection of dirt and twisty roads. OMTT was slippery and challenging, more than usual.

Here are some clips from the crash bar cam.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, padu said:

It was a really nice ride. Good selection of dirt and twisty roads. OMTT was slippery and challenging, more than usual.

Cool vid, love the sound of the Duc !

• Like 1

(Ignore this reply, I wasn't aware that I can't delete my own replies. Hope we can update to a modern forum one day.)

1 hour ago, padu said:

Hey @padu what cam are you using on your crash bar? It appear to have a automated gimbal that keeps the head level. I noticed at some points in the video the camera seems intentionally directed to capture cool drive by or pans during turns. Curious how you're pulling that off. Also... your garage is pretty.

6 hours ago, padu said:

Very nice man, gorgeous bike, and I heard more than a few people say ‘the guy in the big Ducati knows what he’s doing in the dirt’ 🤙🏻 

• Like 2

690 did it’s weekend duty, now it’s time to get some work done with the Red Sparrow 

1C8A2CD5-EA01-41DE-8046-3FDA0843A95A.thumb.jpeg.5b267c360bd83c2c82c359c18cc99afe.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hawkins said:

I had a blast yesterday! That was my first time offroad on my 2021 Africa Twin AS ES DCT, first time attending a planned ride, and first time riding in California - lots of first. I made a lot of friends and got some cell numbers to stay in touch and setup future rides. Special thanks to everyone who posed for photos, that was fun. I could see myself coming to a future ride and getting out ahead of the crowd to get shots of everyone as they ride past me.

Click here to see the photos. Uploading them to Imgur saves the forum a lot of bandwidth. If you see a photo that you want, reach out to me and I'll email you the full sized version.

Looking forward to riding with everyone again.

-- Jesse Hawkins | jesse@thehawkins.us | 206-915-3773

2022 Mountain Dash-54.jpg

Hey Jesse!

I don't know if I met you or not (I'm new also), but I live close to you, up in Fallbrook.  @Shutterrev and I dirt ride a bunch.  Would love to have you join us some time!

Perry

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hawkins said:

Hey @padu what cam are you using on your crash bar? It appear to have a automated gimbal that keeps the head level. I noticed at some points in the video the camera seems intentionally directed to capture cool drive by or pans during turns. Curious how you're pulling that off. Also... your garage is pretty.

Thanks!

I'm using an insta360 camera. It records 360 (as the name implies), then in post, using their own app, you can aim the camera pan-tilt-zoom as you wish. It has some cool options like intelligent subject tracking, and other stuff as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shutterrev said:

Very nice man, gorgeous bike, and I heard more than a few people say ‘the guy in the big Ducati knows what he’s doing in the dirt’ 🤙🏻 

Going from dropping the bike at least 3 times on every ride 8 months ago, that comment makes my heart very warm :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, shutterrev said:

690 did it’s weekend duty, now it’s time to get some work done with the Red Sparrow 

1C8A2CD5-EA01-41DE-8046-3FDA0843A95A.thumb.jpeg.5b267c360bd83c2c82c359c18cc99afe.jpeg

Fellow Ducatista!

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 8:36 AM, tntmo said:

At least I got to fix something!  

It was awesome seeing all the different bikes, this route was great for big bikes, small bikes, new riders and experienced ones.  We had great San Diego weather and delicious tacos at the end.  

Hey Tom....if you didn't see my post in the original thread.   Thanks so much for the help!   

From the other thread:  ..and a special thanks to Mike R and Tom who both took a shot at  fixing my leaking fork seal.   ...and to the gentleman for letting us use his fork seal cleaning tool.

Total bummer showing up at Moto Forza with my fork tinkling on the pavement, my boot was fairly well soaked and fork oil all over my bike.    None of which was there when I left the house this morning (I know because i checked my tire air pressure. :(   

It  stopped leaking so that means it was either cleared or empty!       I did not notice any difference in damping/action of the fork and rode the same way I always do.

The ride was a blast.  Food was great.  Thanks to all how worked hard to put it on.   I hope Marty Tripes is doing better, I was looking forward to meeting one of my childhood heros. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Hey Tom....if you didn't see my post in the original thread.   Thanks so much for the help!   

Yeah, saw it and it’s always my pleasure to try to help!

Alan is the guy who had a seal saver tool with him, a true Boy Scout!  I think I will make several of them (I just cut them out from milk jugs) and ensure every bike has one or two onboard somewhere.  

it was a good event!  Thanks to all who helped pull it together and execute the day of. It was nice meeting so many riders and put faces with names. I only have some pics of the destnation to share.

20220515_170419.thumb.jpg.48499161a346a4292d4c886f01696d52.jpg20220515_170444.thumb.jpg.635a3295b8cf3ddb9efb5815546d03b1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

Yeah, saw it and it’s always my pleasure to try to help!

Alan is the guy who had a seal saver tool with him, a true Boy Scout!  I think I will make several of them (I just cut them out from milk jugs) and ensure every bike has one or two onboard somewhere.  

A great idea!    I had just bought one after the last fork seal leak I had a couple months ago.   Of course, it was sitting in the garage.  

• Like 2