Goofy Footer

Indian Portero / Sunrise Hwy Gate Closed

I noticed the gate along Sunrise Hwy at Indian Portero 14S02 is locked closed. This gate used to be open and connected Sunrise south to Indian Portero then Deer Park and Pine Creek Rd. I have not attempted  these trails from the bottom.

Does anybody have info or knowledge of this closure?

I think you’re talking about skyline? I first noticed it closed myself trying to ride the snow a couple winters ago during covid and I don’t think it re-opened since.. bummer cuz it’s a nice area.

32.92390° N, 116.48108° W

Some maps label it Skyline and others call it Indian Portero. Great trail and very scenic area of the forest to have suddenly closed down.

732EDFC8-EE0C-43C7-BCE1-1DA67E16CBDF.thumb.jpeg.64d0f008a0df397dc058b4d847b45cda.jpeg

I think it's been closed for quite a while. Here's the notice posted on the Deer Park gate.

IMG_4267.JPG

As posted by Jlburgess in another thread, the Deer Park gate is now open. The gate at Sunrise Hwy is still closed, but does not present much of an obstacle for bikes.

Lets see if they open it June 23rd like the letter states

2 hours ago, crfxer said:

Lets see if they open it June 23rd like the letter states

The letter was posted on the gate that is now open 👍

• Like 1

Cool. We'd like to use Deer Park on the next Mountain Dash. 

Now the Deer Park gate is closed again. It has the same notice posted on it as shown above. I checked to see if it's locked and it has a brand new looking lock on it. Hopefully it will reopen in June per the closure notice.

IMG_20220530_152945856_HDR.jpg

6C9CEA2C-9A22-4F7A-86A5-809B95B0E81C.thumb.jpeg.601df7f514a65512d61d6f0bffad3d2a.jpegThis is looking downhill from Pine Mountain. Last week, the uphill gate at the “paved” Pine Creek Rd. Was open.

3 hours ago, Bagstr said:

This is looking downhill from Pine Mountain. Last week, the uphill gate at the “paved” Pine Creek Rd. Was open.

Um....

Anyone riding that stretch Wednesday the 25th would have had to circumvent that gate in the traditional manner on the far right.

I sent an email to Cleveland NF office about the Deer Park closure notice a few months ago noting that it had expired and asked if I could help clear the damaged area to get it opened for safe enjoyment.  I never got a response then happened upon the open gate at Pine Creek about 2 weeks ago.  I looked for a cut lock (after I rode it 👍) on the way back and no evidence of tampering.  It looked like some recent clearing efforts were done, particularly at the area about a mile west of S1.  The intermediate gate at the switchbacks was also open.  Just guessing but maybe the fire crew detention facility was working on it?