shutterrev

Ramblin around with Perry and Scott

@moto_rph, Scott and I met up at a connector to Grapevine off of Banner, Grapevine as usual is nice and flowy and fun. We rode that to the right turn for Old Culp, Old Culp has a lot of mystery dirt right now, it appears to the rider-eye to be dark, dirt that is hardpack, when it fact it is nice and fluffy, so we had some rear end slip and sliding fun on Old Culp.

IMG_4131.thumb.jpg.fad726c5bf2ebdb90746fdb4e6b69c1f.jpg

We got to the Sign on the Montezuma side and the winds were whipping pretty hard, like Perry's 500 would tip over if it was on the kickstand side facing the wind. We had designs on pushing further out in to the desert but the howling winds had us deciding to run Old Culp and Grapevine in reverse, back to where we came from. Well we got back to the start, and decided we still had a whole lot of day left, so we headed over to Sutherland Dam, and rode Forest Rte. up to the top of the Black Mountain truck trail, and reversed that back to the dam.

IMG_4127.thumb.jpg.d6e057893c29227f80022eb576556e3b.jpg

IMG_4139.thumb.jpg.e81a5f6cc05fb2d2e049aa1d6c0416c3.jpg
Good weather, fun ride(s) :)
VIDEO CLIPS FROM TODAYS RIDE

• Like 1

Nice ride! Did you guys all ride out to Grapevine? You covered some ground between there and Black Mtn in Ramona.

The wind has been howling in the desert often lately

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Nice ride! Did you guys all ride out to Grapevine? You covered some ground between there and Black Mtn in Ramona.

The wind has been howling in the desert often lately

Great question because usually, yes I do, because the 690 is so much fun on road as well I usually hoof that thing long distances on a ride day and ear to ear entire time. ALAS... The Aluma trailer my wife and I have been discussing for years is finally in our garage - so I took it on it's maiden voyage, and trailered out to grapevine, and the in-betweens :) Perry was on his 500 so he basically picked it up like a six pack and put it on his hitch hauler, and the hero of the day was our newest ride-party member, and he rode his 690 all of the miles - which was a pretty good amount all said and done! I must say as my first time not iron butting trail days, I was not displeased with wearing slippers, sipping coffee, and listening to tunes on the way to the trail. 

• Like 2

Props to him for ironman riding the whole thing. Nothing wrong with slippers and driving out either though.

Grapevine and Montezuma Grade are definitely fun rides. For a bit more tech and to possibly create a loop, Oriflame/Rodriguez and Chariot Canyon is a nice loop that starts either at the base of Banner Grade or just south along the S2.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Props to him for ironman riding the whole thing. Nothing wrong with slippers and driving out either though.

Grapevine and Montezuma Grade are definitely fun rides. For a bit more tech and to possibly create a loop, Oriflame/Rodriguez and Chariot Canyon is a nice loop that starts either at the base of Banner Grade or just south along the S2.

Yeah we had planned to push out to the desert after Old Culp, but it was way too windy, so we reversed tracks back to the trucks then headed inland to Black Mtn. 

This was a fun ride, but any ride is a fun ride!

Nick and I must be getting better with our "off road" chops because this was the first time I remember riding from the bottom at Sutherland Dam to Piney Top (Black Mountain) without stopping. 

2 years ago, this would have been a caravan of wild eyed bikers (including us) stopping along the way to reassure each other that we weren't crazy.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 3:16 PM, moto_rph said:

This was a fun ride, but any ride is a fun ride!

Nick and I must be getting better with our "off road" chops because this was the first time I remember riding from the bottom at Sutherland Dam to Piney Top (Black Mountain) without stopping. 

2 years ago, this would have been a caravan of wild eyed bikers (including us) stopping along the way to reassure each other that we weren't crazy.

Funny stuff.  8-)

I really loved the video link.  Made me feel like I was riding some of my favorite trails.

• Like 2