Sage advice, however they are all stuck in air conditioned buildings processing paperwork anymore.  I would estimate seeing one or less agent in the field for every 10 that I used to see.  So now you gotta watch out more for SxS's and KTM riders and there's a guy out there riding crazy and doing donuts on an ol' Honda CT 125 something franken-bike.

• Agree 1

Looking at Pine Creek rd this Monday 8/29 since it claims to be open, then up to S1 and over to Coral Canyon.  I'll take the easy loop around there and then free form after that.  Perhaps down to Campo....  Any players this week?

Unfortunately won’t be able to make it tomorrow  either. Sounds like a fun route.  Was at Corral Canyon yesterday. Did the big loop around Espinoza. Place was empty except for hikers and mtn bikers and a couple jeeps. Last Wednesday was up by Julian and Pine Creek at S-1 was closed. Hopefully open now

From the top of Spur Meadow6259A8A5-098B-4300-AC06-076B59EF3C28.jpeg

Edited by crfxer
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SANRider said:

How challenging was Espinoza?

Guess that depends on your skill level.  Roughest I've seen it in a long time.  A big bike with wrong tires would be interesting to watch

So Pine Creek rd can't be done regardless of the Cleveland NF roads website status due to the recent fire and this:

IMG_20220829_131644115_HDR.jpg

That said I was having as good time on Thing Valley rd which had zero other people about.  It is now closed just past the little cabins on the left about 3 miles in so no more Fred Canyon loop until someone figures out a bypass! 😉

1 minute ago, Jlburgess said:

That said I was having as good time on Thing Valley rd which had zero other people about.  It is now closed just past the little cabins on the left about 3 miles in so no more Fred Canyon loop until someone figures out a bypass! 😉 

Do you mean closed when traveling south from Sunrise Hwy?

No, that is the approach from Pine Valley which is the south end. I suspect both ends are closed now.

14 minutes ago, Jlburgess said:

No, that is the approach from Pine Valley which is the south end. I suspect both ends are closed now.

Wait damn so you can just go up the Thing but cannot connect to Fred anymore? it's an out and back?

14 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Wait damn so you can just go up the Thing but cannot connect to Fred anymore? it's an out and back?

14 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Nope, it famously was blocked by an angry new ranch buyer who has barricaded the link to Fred Canyon.  He started with gun play but has backed off to barbed wire and a gate made of iron pipe.  I hope he has a heart attack and nobody can get there in time.

Edited by Jlburgess

Ah, I always thought it was blocked from Sunrise Hwy when headed south. I didn't know Fred Canyon was effectively cut off now. Sounds like when coming north from the 8 it's an out and back ride

Edited by Goofy Footer

Thing has been blocked by a private parcel near the bottom for well over a year now.  If you go in from the bottom (Fred) and you turn of to ride-around the bottom Thing gate, you can only  go a couple hundred yards up thing before you hit the private landowners gate.  He also has it gated further up the road in order to block peoples access from the top (Sunrise Hy).

This is a GREAT loss to our local riders, and has been covered in other threads.

I would hope and assume that you can still ride from the 8 up through the campground to Fred Canyon and just continue past the Thing valley turnoff to end back on on La Posta TT.  Which is still an awesome loop but is very different than being able to climb Thing Valley up to Sunrise Hywy.

Edited by Zubb

Okay so Thing is closed off but can this loop still be completed? Come up La Posta and turn southwest before down Fred ?

La Posta to Fred.jpg

4 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Okay so Thing is closed off but can this loop still be completed? Come up La Posta and turn southwest before down Fred ?

La Posta to Fred.jpg

As of last Fall, ... yes.

A more recent on the ground report would be appreciated.

About 3 weeks ago Bub_Hannah and I found the Thing Valley gate near the La Posta intersection closed. It had a USFS lock on it but it wasn't locked, ??? We were going to do an out and back from Kitchen Creek, so it was about where we were going to turn around anyway.

It's not uncommon to see locked gates, that aren't locked.  That's why I always get off and go physically try to slide the bolt back to open the gate.  It was actually a border patrol agent that taught me to do that.

Shhhhh! don't tell anyone.

Most of us would just ride around the gate and through the wide opening/pathway and carry on up Thing Valley.  Those were the days!  What's pissy is that it is still a public road, blocked only by one landowner.

• Like 1

Can anybody comment / provide an update about Cameron Truck Trail from Buckman Springs to La Posta / Old Hwy 80?

27 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

Can anybody comment / provide an update about Cameron Truck Trail from Buckman Springs to La Posta / Old Hwy 80?

Sounds like a ride is brewing...

Anyone riding tomorrow?

I'm thinking of doing Highpoint and Palomar Divide IF the gates are open.

Left message with Palomar ranger district but haven't heard back.

On 9/14/2022 at 12:46 PM, tubebender said:

Anyone riding tomorrow?

I'm thinking of doing Highpoint and Palomar Divide IF the gates are open.

Left message with Palomar ranger district but haven't heard back.

Here's the link for road conditions.  It says they are both open.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229

On 8/30/2022 at 3:15 PM, Goofy Footer said:

It was open last weekend

Monday 9-19 gonna stage at Pine Valley cul de sac at 9 and go explore.  Possibilities include, Pine Creek, Pine Valley Creek, Kitchen Creek, Fred Valley, Thing Valley, Glider Port, Cameron TT and a couple other off the radar trails in between. Red Jeep, KTM 500.