I'm on hiatus from work for the next couple of months so looking for weekday riding buddies when crowds are sparse.  I live near Jamul and like to ride 100 mile or so loops.  I'm on a DR650 so nothing too dramatic.  I rode Skye Valley today in Coral Canyon so that was pretty fun.  I also like Fred Canyon or ???  Post up any ideas... 😉👍

John

Congrats on the time off! Are you taking any big riding trips? I may be able to ride this Monday and I have other sporadic weekdays off. During the week is the best time to hit the trail as nobody is out.

I have a DR too and need to burn up my tires

No big trips planned mostly due to gas prices.  I can do a day trip for $10 still on the DR though.  Shoot me a PM if you are going somewhere.  I'm probably doing Nate's grade and Black Canyon area today or Friday.

That was a fun ride although longer than expected since Black Canyon was a slow pace and almost got wrecked by a crazy man driving fast on the inside of the blind corners on a single lane road.  If I was in a car he couldn't have avoided me but "got skinny" against the hillside.

I'm contemplating a Baja ride now via Tecate' next.  Anyone have experience there?  Maybe just a day trip to start?

• Like 1

Did you try the connector Santa Ysabel TT between Black Mtn and Black Canyon?

You can ride and cross in Tecate easily - it's my preferred crossing point. Allegedly some authorities are asking for the FMM tourist visa more lately but I've never been hassled on a bike.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:42 PM, Goofy Footer said:

Allegedly some authorities are asking for the FMM tourist visa more lately but I've never been hassled on a bike.

True, although I haven't been stopped personally.  Baja Bound told me a few months ago that insurance claims were still getting paid, even without an FMM.  But I almost always get one anyway.  Especially of course for the 5 day trips.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:42 PM, Goofy Footer said:

Did you try the connector Santa Ysabel TT between Black Mtn and Black Canyon?

You can ride and cross in Tecate easily - it's my preferred crossing point. Allegedly some authorities are asking for the FMM tourist visa more lately but I've never been hassled on a bike.

I only went a short distance on that one.  The creek was dry but gate was open.

Speaking of open gates I was able to ride 14S02 aka Pine Mtn today.  Both lower gates are open and you can make it to S1 around the side for the top one.  I encountered a DRZ400 rider and a guy in a 4x4.  It's pretty easy except for a little sand and ruts, then a slightly steep part near the top.  I could see some fallen trees have been cleared too.  It's fairly big bike friendly and cell reception near the top from Cuyamaca.  Enjoy it while it lasts!

IMG_20220517_145856719.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jlburgess said:

IMG_20220517_140729029_HDR.jpg

I dig this bike,

I'm thinking about a mellow ride on Friday down 94 towards Campo and Tecate Mtn.  Any interest?  I'm a late starter, probably 10 am from Jamul.

• Like 1

John,  You are a true Duel-Sporter.

15 hours ago, Jlburgess said:

I'm thinking about a mellow ride on Friday down 94 towards Campo and Tecate Mtn.  Any interest?  I'm a late starter, probably 10 am from Jamul.

Dang!  I would of liked to join you but saw too late.  I can be a weekday rider since retired now.  Hit me up for the next one

Weekday rides are the best. Thanks for the ride John!

A889C35E-248A-4015-961C-7F55DE0140B6.jpeg

Next up is an earlier ride by my standards (9 am?) meet up Jamul or RSD?  Thinking Barona/Ramona then Old Julian hwy.

Then Wynola and Farmer rd if not too hot. Lunch...?  Return Pine Hills, Eagle Peak, and Cedar Creek road before it closes for fire season. Epic fun!

Finish up down Boulder Creek rd to Viejas grade road at I-8.

What say you weekday riders?  Day is flexible here.....

Alas, I have come down with an acute case of employment which may cause a reduced riding schedule, however I was able to negotiate Mondays off so this thread is still somewhat applicable.  What say you Monday dual sport riders?  Thinking Mt. Laguna area this week or?

Update: heading out tomorrow morning at the crack of 9:00 am for Viejas Grade, Boulder Creek, then up Engineer rd to S1, then back via Pine Creek rd and Descanso Junction if you are in.  PM for meet up spot.

Edited by Jlburgess

I can't do tomorrow but Monday mornings are generally ok for me, let me know if you go next week. Need to get the tires dirty on my new Tenere 700, so nothing too crazy. It's a hell of a lot different than my 350!

I'm in IB so can easily swing over to Jamul mid week. 

Had an appointment this AM, but I'd be up for a ride like this one next week.  

Lets hope they get this Valley Fire up in Noble Canyon under control quickly.  I'd hate to see them close Pine Creek Rd for an extended period of time due to this.

Did you hit that area today John?

Edited by crfxer

Yes, I was coming back from Julian on 79 and spotted it.  I saw some air support so I think they will get it out.  I didn't go down S1 south after spotting the smoke.  I suspect that will be it for Pine Creek rd this year until we get some rain.  They often close Thing Valley and Fred Canyon as well with elevated fire danger.  We will see....

On 6/6/2022 at 3:30 PM, crfxer said:

Weekday rides are the best. Thanks for the ride John!

Wow, what a view! Can you tell me how to get to this spot? I am very new to riding in this area so you'll have to send me a point on a map, not just the name of the trail. Thanks!

You'll love Tecate Peak.  It's a favorite.  Do not get all touristy though and lose focus on the nice wide trail.  Going over the edge would carry consequences. Take a sammy and sit down with a cold pop for a great lunch stop. 360* views.  Broken pavement under dirt and gravel.  I'd rate it beginner/level 1 as long as you know how to stand on the pegs when it gets a little low-tractiony and you keep your eyes on the road.

32.580155317386925, -116.68895014624962

Just type Tecate Peak into Google maps.  Right outside of . . . . . . . . wait for it . . . . . Tecate.