Sign in to follow this  
SpaceCowboy

Thomas mountain anyone want to explore?

Anyone want to explore Thomas mountain this weekend? I've got a tw200 I'd like to truck out there, put around for a day. All skill levels welcome. This won't be ripping around on a full suspension enduro, much more mellow than that. 

Additionally, has anyone ridden around out there? Can you provide some feedback on the riding? I saw a couple posts on here from a few years back, but I don't know what we're looking at now. 

Thanks,

SC

If you don't venture onto any single-track, then it will all be dirt roads, mainly easy stuff...but after the rains there could be ruts, etc.

• Like 1

Where are you located? You could ride from the gliderport in Warner Springs to increase some mileage

Friday will have cooler temps and possible weather 

I’m coming from north county SD, so I might just do that. Ideally I’d like to stay off the highway as much as possible once I’m up there. Looks like dirt trails are possible from glider port 

1 hour ago, SpaceCowboy said:

I’m coming from north county SD, so I might just do that. Ideally I’d like to stay off the highway as much as possible once I’m up there. Looks like dirt trails are possible from glider port 

Yes, there are dirt roads all the way to Anza, it's a fun route, but often times has some good ruts.

Indian Flats Road immediately south of the Glider Port is your trail. Starts out as fun twisty old asphalt then turns to dirt. Goes North thru Chihuahua Valley then onto Cooper Cienega Truck Trail to the backside of Cahuilla Reservation then east & north into Anza.

Thomas is all TW able. I’ve ridden it on a TW years ago. Also consider heading east to Bailey’s Cabin in ABDSP - see the recent RR 3 HPs in the desert by @Zubb he details it. If you want hard single track try Allesandro Trail. Hunter Mtn north along the ridge fireroad connects to Hwy 74 fyi

• Like 1

Thomas Mountain is a pleasant ride, but has gotten a bit more busy with many more overlanders roaming about in SUVs, so watch for oncoming traffic... especially as you begin to have fun on the windy road and may want to go "fast" .

The route from Warner Springs to Thomas Mtn mentioned here has been a popular one and worth taking. Many folks use the destination to practice overnight moto camping, as Thomas Mtn is a nice destination with great views and the road from Warner to there is bumpy enough to help evaluate whether you should have used straps instead of bungees  :)

After navigating Anza, and 371, and then turning west on 74 at Paradise cafe, it is only a short distance to the entrance through a small community.  Some folks only use the NF-6s13 and wind up and then down to 74 early, but if you add HF- 5s15, you can extend the Thomas loop further west and enter 74 at a lower elevation.....  And, for a bonus, you will be very close to Bee Canyon, where you can climb back up to Idylwild on dirt.  Don't be alarmed if BIG guns are being fired not far from where you will be riding.  Cheers. 

• Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 5:29 AM, SpaceCowboy said:

The ruttier, the better 

Rocket Man - one of my bestest riding buddies (great rider) TKO'd in those ruts on that route...don't get those "fatty" TW200 wheels hung up in 'em but, have fun!!!

3 weeks ago Indian Flats campground was open.  Went by it Tuesday and it was closed.  They are trying to protect a "something" Toad, with warning to not step on them at night.

Lost valley road going north from there pretty rutty and fun right now.  One of my fav's.