Vintage Veloce

Maxxis Tire Markings?

I know some of the gang here runs these tires.

After I mounted my new Maxxis Desert IT tires... I notice these small markings. Of course, I didn't mount the tire with this direction of rotation.

But is this really a direction marking? I've never seen one like this and I found a post elsewhere where someone says it is not. The tread isn't directional.

Hmm... I looked at my Maxxis mountain bike tires, which are directional, and they have a traditional ">ROTATION>" marking clearly labeled.

Does anyone think I should remount my tires with these pointed forward? Man I hope not...

PXL_20220418_211127502.thumb.jpg.e32e758d735994357c43e2c9eedc0d1f.jpg

Non DOT?  I wouldn’t worry about it!

Wouldn't you want to contact Maxxis for the real answer ?

Is the marking on both sides of the tire? If so, are they pointing in the same or opposite direction?

9 hours ago, KTMrad said:

Wouldn't you want to contact Maxxis for the real answer ?

I called them. no answer yesterday. Maybe I'll call again... but I'm not sure the office drones in the USA will know what that marking means.

48 minutes ago, SANRider said:

Is the marking on both sides of the tire? If so, are they pointing in the same or opposite direction?

One side.

6 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

Looks like the arrow is pointing to the numbers.

This is what I think.

Surfing the web I have found other Maxxis tires with standard ">direction>" markers. I'm feeling more confident this some other confusing mark.

• Like 1

Wow, I received an actual reply from Maxxis!

You're correct, the Desert IT is not directional and the symbol is not intended to be a rotation arrow.

The symbol is a BSMI Safety Mark that signifies compliance of product quality and our manufacturing quality management system with ISO 9001 requirements.

The white stamps are the final visual inspection approval and are not associated with our dynamic balancing process.  Dynamic balance is only performed on our radial ATV/UTV tires and will be signified with a solid yellow dot on one sidewall.  The yellow dot signifies the lightest part of the tire and where you should align the valve stem of the wheel.

• Like 1