It was a dark and stormy night.  Adam "Gerty" kissed his family and strapped on his helmet to ride 1300 miles overnight from Seattle to San Diego.  His goal was to ride sand sand sand.  Something he doesn't get to practice in the Pacific Northwest.  He rolled out into the rain.  And it rained, and rained and rained.  Then it got worse.  Black of night, raining buckets, and wind driving it all sideways. Temps dipping into the 30's.  Electrics on high.  Lens cracked open just enough to try to see what he was hurling towards in the dark.

Ugh!

Personally I'd have said screw it and found a motel for at least the night time.  Not Adam.  Onward to the goal.

26 hours and 1300 miles later he pulled into my garage, so dam-happy to be here even if it was . . . . . still raining.

We donned swim suites, uncorked my best Whiskey and jumped in the hot tub wearing lifeguard hats, 'cause, ... rain.

The next morning I was almost done swapping out his Scorpions for a fresh set of Motoz RallZ tires before he got out of bed.  A quick oil/filter change and we were ready to go.  My bike went in the truck and he rode as we headed to Borrego.

IMG_3777.thumb.JPG.31407166e38f7410d98e0c84332539fd.JPG

At least it only rained a little.

Adams goal was to ride and understand sand as it will be a significant part of the GS Trophy Challenge when we both go to the qualifier next year. So we got to W38M camp, set the tents, and jumped across the road to the sand pit.

I was very surprised actually as he took right to it.   We spent an hour and a half just riding deep loose sand and then headed to the mud hills near Pegleg.  There are a few areas there we call "death sand" as big bikes tend to just sink to the skid plate unless you're pretty accomplished.  No worries for Adam with a little coaching and trial and error.  I was extremely impressed.

The mud hills are always fun to goof off on too.

IMG_3792.thumb.JPG.4cd84e38dc9d3a0b5684fe43fecde833.JPGIMG_3808.jpg.5bb780f5d61fc10796d9ab02075b0b2e.jpgIMG_3809.thumb.jpg.ebd0de67d160537a8b67d2af9f4674e6.jpg

Tom Thompson rolled into camp around 5 and I asked him to take Adam out to Fonts Point for the view while I started the fire and prepped dinner.  I had 3 each big New York strips that I shoved onto the Adjustafork and doused them heavily in Montreal Steak seasoning.  I had prepped 6 ears of corn the night before by slathering them in Tajin butter and rolling them up in foil.  I scraped a nice bed of coals to the side and cooked up 3 frightening large servings of Prime NY Strip steaks and tossed the corn in the coals.  Bikes, campfires, cold beer, coyotes, brilliant stars, my Moto besties, . . . what could be better?!

IMG_3815.thumb.JPG.07f4bea63012842dd8ea231208f03c0e.JPG

Sun set on another typically wonderful Borrego day.

It's fair to mention that before leaving my house Adam and I fired up the trials bike for a few minutes of random stupidity in my yard. As luck would have it, the silly little bike spit me off the back of my best wheelie to date and I landed square on my tail bone. So I was sentenced to a week and a half of slow walking and lots of Aleve.  Adam was sentance to picking up my 1250 for the next few days as there was no way I was able to lift.  But fortunately you don't have to walk much when you ride.

Sunrise, coffee and sharing tracks for the days adventure!

IMG_3816.thumb.JPG.4aa10524a03c5bf01273ccf4f654a354.JPG

Plan for the day is Breakfast burritos in town, then hot lap it over Yaqi Pass to Scissors, to Pinyon,  the Squeeze, Heart Attack, Fish Creek and a quick lunch in O.W.

IMG_3820.thumb.JPG.012c7bdabf7f83225b6b7633c03b21d5.JPG

IMG_3827.thumb.JPG.8d5910259b2f0605d8d13e8a86d1e84d.JPGIMG_3828.thumb.JPG.fc9773126fdb3597ea18c64e845576a8.JPGIMG_3829.thumb.JPG.0307f1bd80625f9537f25dc3add329bb.JPG

IMG_3840.thumb.JPG.fe3018f7aa8f055df643e23186caec95.JPG

Tom has competed in Trials since he was 10 years old.  So it's pretty enlightening to walk a route and listen to how he sees 'the line'.  Actually he always sees several lines, but I'm just looking for 'the best' line, especially since I'm favoring this stupid back injury.

Good stuff, and we are all having a ton of fun.

We walked Heart Attack Hill and noted quite a bit of sand and granite powder on the rock.  I noticed a single track that goes around to the right though.  It's a tight single track cut into a steep hillside, but  it was fluffy enough that one could easily control downhill speed on it, as long as you stayed on it.

IMG_3841.thumb.JPG.ce8749adca53e2c99f43799af74e86fd.JPGIMG_3842.thumb.JPG.9e33688136c8afae81dac6bdd0d89032.JPG

IMG_3845.thumb.JPG.d4e0c0a607c567150f3a313e072b86aa.JPGIMG_3844.thumb.JPG.151ff987f262ffd0a9d0a98a89cffbea.JPGIMG_3843.thumb.JPG.19d9f11cb06c9f6cf7945315470352b3.JPG

Getting onto the single track work around, was a bit tricky on the boxers.  The cylinder heads stuck out far enough that we had to lean the bikes out around the ROCK to get on the trail.  We all spotted each other as we rolled the bikes, so they wouldn't tip into the abyss, then rode down to the bottom.

IMG_3848.thumb.JPG.150b735f728b20be8e999aa37ca51244.JPGIMG_3847.thumb.JPG.0cc62dad5615a3dd0843e17feae0e148.JPG

Fish Creek!!

MAN! is that FUN!!  I had never been able to talk anyone on big bikes to ride this with me (and I do not ride off road alone). Plenty of scenery, awesome winding trail, plenty of options to go wide and explore spots and edges, or just haul ass down the straights.

IMG_3858.thumb.JPG.360603c4388b926fcf88c90141d1c8a0.JPG

IMG_3863.thumb.JPG.b96155285017574455d0553aeaeacce8.JPG

And just like that, we were out. And rolling into Ocotillo Wells looking for lunch. The store across from Iron Door was the only thing we open within reason, so we cooled off, drank up, and ate some frozen Snickers bars while pouring over a couple different maps I had along.

We found our way to some more bottomless sand and mud hills.  Playtime!

IMG_3915.thumb.jpg.93e6e55335c9824a5c55c03e9701b8f4.jpg

We rolled into camp around 4, grabbed our towels and soap, then headed over to the Campground for showers.  Then hit Carlee's for Pizza and a couple a well earned beers.

Pretty much another perfect day, ending with a sip or two of whiskey by the campfire.  Lights out.

Next morning we decide Baileys cabin would be the call, so off we went.  Up Montezuma, through Warner Springs and up that wonderfully fun Lost Valley road to Indian Flats.  North still, taking the ridiculously fun dirt road to Anza (almost).

This would be a very low picture count day as we really just wanted to ride ride ride.  And so we did.

The road down to Baileys Cabin was in REALLY rough shape, and as many of you know, the pitch is enough to make one think about what he's doing, and maybe even wether he can get back up.  But fear not, no bikes were harmed in the making of that ride.  The sand wash at the bottom was notably lighter, deeper than Fish Creek sand, and it's a pretty windy track, so speed isn't a plausible option.  So there was quite a bit of what we call "trials riding" it at low speed, on the pegs, plowing through.  Trying to anticipate where the bike is going to be, and getting my weight there early, so as not to lose balance.  It's a ridiculously fun game to play, until about your third drop.  Then fatigue starts to show and I start looking for terra firma.

IMG_3878.thumb.JPG.be1cd0ae28cbee6b1096fc98c43c14de.JPGIMG_3884.thumb.JPG.6f81d396bdb57dcf9b63c4bddd11f65d.JPGIMG_3889.thumb.JPG.62eb597783cc09b4399fdfaa878d9e7e.JPG

We snacked and watered up a bit, and made good use of the outhouse which came in pretty handy about then.

We continued in a clockwise loop back to "the climb out" and strategized a bit on our battle plan.  We talked a bit about what order to ride in and how close so that if I dropped the bike, there would be help within reasonable walking distance for either of them to pick the bike up.  Because . . . .  injured back (stupid trials bike!).  But I let them know the easiest thing would be to just clean it.  And so I did.

Awesome burritos for lunch in Anza!

IMG_3891.thumb.JPG.e7156ffc0d2d9e79fde067eff61ddec9.JPG

We rode Lost Valley back south to Warner Springs, .. Ranchita, ... Old Wilson, down Grapevine a ways and circled back to Culp Valley, down Montezuma.  We decided to head up Coyote Canyon and see how close we could get to Baileys cabin from the bottom.  What a treat that road is!  Plenty of roosts up to 60 or 70mph, and then chicany turns perfect for hero drifts.  Water crossings for bonus points.

We got quite a ways up and the upper gate was open so on we went.  Eventually we yet again left the main track to ride up nearby creek beds / boulder fields and then I made a semi fatal error.  I got bounced left off a nice bowling ball and my left cylinder head / crash bar hit a very large medicine ball sized granite ball and pulled it out of the wall.  Hard stop!  Left crash bar pushed back and dislodged the cylinder head cover.  Oil started to drip.  Hey guys! Rides over!  And I lit a shuck for camp in the highest gear possible with the lowest RPMs, waiting for the dash to light up RED RED RED and the shut down the bike when the oil was low enough.

To be continued . . .

IMG_3846.JPG

• Like 4

I'm always so impressed with what you guys do on the XL bikes! Impressed! 

• Like 2

Thanks brother.  You know what's interesting to me is that this is my 5th boxer motor bike and that was the first time I ever full on banged the cylinder head into a rock.  They are wide. But in the wild . . . it's not the problem you think it will be.  Since I got bounced left into the granite boulder . . . I'm kinda glad that cylinder head took the hit instead of my leg!

• Like 1

Intermission:

We were all three intercommed together with our Sena's.  Man is that fun. It's so easy to communicate this way, and as Tom (a.k.a. MotoBuddah) was coaching, it is hands down the most effective tool I know of.  We could easily turn off to different side tracks or washes as Tom would see an interesting line, and then coach us through how he would ride it better.  His trials mindset fits these big bikes extremely well and I'm continually fascinated by what he says about the bikes, the lines, the methods to riding this stuff comfortably and in control. There's a time and place to roost, and there's a time to seek and hold traction.  It is a wise rider who understands the difference. 

Continued:

So I was hauling the mail at the bottom of third and fourth gear trying to keep revs low and make as many miles as possible before my TFT screen turned screaming red, warning of eminent engine failure.  Just before the biggest deepest water crossing I killed the motor and hopped off to see if my pants and boot were oil soaked, and to check the glass bubble.

To my surprise, my boots were clean.  And the oil sight glass showed no perceptible loss of oil.  Well once again it was my lucky day. It seems that at the hit, oil started dripping from the dislodged rubber gasket, but then seemed to seal itself up mostly even though you could see it wasn't seated correctly.  Never the less, I rode the long puddle and lugged the beast back to camp with unusual restraint. Since I was due for my 18k full service anyway, I would be pulling the cylinder head covers to check the valves anyway.  I'll replace the gasket then to avoid any future failures in far off places.

Again, we took the truck into town for showers and dinner, then back to camp for the night.

I slept like the dead, which is always easy to do in the desert, and awoke to see Adam half way through a tire change.  I made us each a cuppa coffee and came over to supervise.

IMG_3897.thumb.JPG.fc84edf9fee2362cb4f0e64537fa4a5e.JPG

While neither of us mind the RallZ's on tarmac . . . it is just a lot nicer to ride honest street tires for a haul that is basically from Mexico to Canada.

Last day breaking camp always leaves a lump in my throat.  I'm incredibly blessed to have these fantastic adventures, both large and small with my son. Geez we've had a lot of them.  We will miss each other by a week in July on the WYBDR.  He's going to scout with the W38 crew, and I'll be going the following week to guide it with Dusty.  Our next ride together will be first week of November where he'll join our level 2 Baja Tour.  

Tom had 6 hours drive to get home, Adam had a day and a half, but none of us wanted to go.  So we just hung out for awhile bench racing, and scheming of future rides together.  Eventually Tom rolled out, and then Adam.  I hung out dawdling around camp and the rig for a bit just enjoying the moment and memories of the last few days.

IMG_3901.thumb.JPG.90a03a7f20e35d209219cc6bf4e4182e.JPG

It's good stuff and I don't take it for granted.  I have a finite number of years ahead to continue enjoying this so I intentionally savor these memories.

I stopped for one last look over what has become "My Borrego".  I love this magical place.

IMG_3910.thumb.JPG.544c35c562ce2cf8c24034b4804ba84d.JPG

I pulled over at Ranchita hoping to go inside and get another coffee, but the store was locked as the owner had left to shuttle some hikers back to the trail head.  It appeared to me that Sasquatch disapproved of my rig and decided to piss on the tires.

IMG_3911.thumb.JPG.c830386909f05ed587ce8d4677ca597a.JPG

I had to stop in San Ysabel and pick up some pie for my 3 grandkids that were arriving for the weekend.  Mountain Berry was the choice this time.

IMG_3913.thumb.JPG.bd80cf8b072003de1ba645617ae0a997.JPG

Epilogue:

Some bike trips are for riding, others are for riding, sightseeing, pictures, etc.  It would have been a hoot to spend more time getting good pics of various lines and cool scenery.  As it was, I was able to snap a number of quick pics without disrupting the flow of the rides too much.  I'll attempt to throw the videos into a simple movie and post it up here soon.  Thanks for following along on this.  More than anything, I post RR's to look back on years later.  It reminds me of how fortunate I've been and to never ever have regrets.  Only gratitude. Cheers!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Zubb said:

Some bike trips are for riding, others are for riding, sightseeing, pictures, etc.  It would have been a hoot to spend more time getting good pics of various lines and cool scenery.  As it was, I was able to snap a number of quick pics without disrupting the flow of the rides too much.  

For the dirt rides, in the last year or so it seems with the smaller bike crew I'e been riding with there is way less stopping to smell the roses so I have a couple permanent mount positions on the bike, as well as hard-wired USB-C power along the bikes wiring harnesses out to each. Also bought some silicon strapped USB-C caps for when not in use, this has worked out marvelously as I can just run the cameras in a couple positions, and pull some frames for my pictures out later. I really enjoy getting home after a great ride and going through the clips, critiquing myself, looking for the funny moments, etc ✌️

That's exactly where I'm headed.  I have a fairly new Insta360 and really like how it films and will give me a ton of options for pulling vids and stills.  But I must confess, I'm stuck on the editing process.  I know, I know, everyone says it's really easy with this camera.  I haven't figured it out yet, so the dam thing sits at home in the drawer.  Also, the go pro type mount won't hold it in place. All the continued bouncing eventually allows the camera to 'fall' to a dropped position in the mount.  But I'm making excuses now for not blocking out time to get it figured.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

Also bought some silicon strapped USB-C caps for when not in use, 

Link please :good:

• Like 1

Ha! You beat me to it.

• Like 1

The constant bouncing for the mounts is true, for my bike i bought a Metal gopro mount that you hard mount with two bolts/nuts/washers. I have some 3M double sided foam tape between the mount and the bike's plastics, this has been issue free, no more dangling gopro at the bottom of the rocks :) haha - just requires drilling a couple small holes in plastics... so be sure of the spot... and running the power. 

• Like 1

Holy cow Kelly.   I am in awe....     

So impressive what you guys can do on these bikes.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting and I agree it’s nice to read through these RR later in life and remember the good times.

I recommend the Mountain Berry with Crumble AND caramel topping!

Is the campsite you guys are at built up? It looks more established than the open dez. Where in town do you shower?

I just slum it on the sand ha. OW does have showers by the Ranger Station and on Main Street but I’ve never used them.

6 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Is the campsite you guys are at built up? It looks more established than the open dez. Where in town do you shower?

I just slum it on the sand ha. OW does have showers by the Ranger Station and on Main Street but I’ve never used them.

We've partner with a landowner out near Peg Leg and camp and train on his land.

There is a decent dry camp area on the outside corner of Peg Leg with a very clean and nice pit toilet.  I've camped there a few times. Or across / inside the corner you can disperse camp with a few motorhomes.  Not optimum, but effective.  You probably already have your go-to spots that are as good or better.

Showers: we go back through town to the bottom of Montezuma, and go straight through to the state campground.  They charge about $9/car to get in,  and a couple bucks for tokens for the showers.  We have porta showers in camp, but this trip was just 3 of us and didn't want to set them up.  It's convenient to come back thru town after the shower and either sit down for dinner, or buy stuff for camp.  

Makes sense, I didn't know about the State Campground showers. Nice to have more options.

I've always had good food and friendly people at Carlee's, I think they even sponsor the SDAR website so I like swing in there. The cash only mexican restaurant across the street has good breakfast chilaquiles if you ever so fancy. Warning: I've never had them Pre-Ride tho ha

Nice report and good storytelling! The campground at the end of Coyote Canyon south is pretty cool for a remote moto camping escape

• Like 1

When I grow up I'd like to be as good as you guys and be invited to those rides!

Seems like too much fun!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 8:45 AM, padu said:

When I grow up I'd like to be as good as you guys and be invited to those rides!

Seems like too much fun!

Dude, we have got to take the trials bikes out to McCain and climb all over that stuff! As a couple trials noobs, we should have a blast together.

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

Dude, we have got to take the trials bikes out to McCain and climb all over that stuff! As a couple trials noobs, we should have a blast together.

Yes, we need to call Scott Clark, the prez of SD Trials Riders. They usually go on Sundays to McCain and can shed some knowledge to us. I'm game!

• Like 1