Zubb

I need a truck.

It's been about 17 years since I've owned a pickup. So I'm really not sure what I want and thought I'd troll the minds here for what works best in their experience.

1. I'm going to load and carry the 550lb R1250GS in the back.  8' would be preferred but 6.5' would be the minimum.
  2. I'm going to pull a double axle RV.  19' @ 3,800lbs
  3. I don't need 4WD and would like something comparatively economical (LOL).  And for god-sakes I don't want it lifted.
  4. I will probably only use it 5-10 days a month so won't be putting a lot of miles on it outside of the occasional trip to various western states.

I can't see buying new, or even newer as a good idea for this use.  I'd hoped to find a 2015(ish) model for under a cool half $million, but my first look found my head spinning when I got home.  I knew trucks were rare as hens teeth right now, but holy cow!!!

I also "hoped" a half ton would do the job, instead of a 3/4 ton, for cost and fuel reasons.  But I don't want to be running this rig around and over mountains with my foot on the floor trying to make it go fastest enough and not blow up.

I've been told by a friend in Borrego that Ford made a F150 V6 twin turbo that runs forever and rarely see's the shop for repairs.  Sounds like what I'm looking for . . . maybe.

I'm starting to think I should follow @danrider and buy an older diesel and throw $$ into fixing the known weak points, then drive it into the apocalypse.

It occurred to me that y'all have been hauling bikes around for a long long time and I should throw this to the collective for thoughts and suggestions.

If you had to buy a truck now for these purposes, is there a brand and year model that you would target?  I'm open to all thoughts on this.

Or just maybe you have one for sale???

I also have been wanting a truck for a while... The prices on descent pickups were already lofty... and now unobtanium. We want a truck bed to make things easier dealing with our property, yard waste, mulch runs, fire wood, of course bikes, hauling things to events, etc. I know you want a truck so if you want a truck, want a truck... But we did shift the goal based on what that would cost and went another way. A few months ago an SD BMW Club member that happens to also be a neighbor let me borrow his Aluma Trailer (super light) for a few hours to move heavy things. The thing towed so well I didn't know it was there, my wife and I are waiting for ours to arrive in a few months, my jeep or her crossover can tow it just fine with both big bikes or whatever ✌️

I sent you a link to a decent looking truck. With those numbers you have a lot of options.  

• Like 1

Thanks Tom.

@shutterrev, all good thoughts.  My actually perfect setup would be an 8' long bed for some trips, and a box trailer to roll the bike into and chock down for other trips.  Then use it as a moto man cave for camping.  Add solar for charging phones/gizmo's, keep a cot in there, a reasonable water tank, pump, outdoor shower, shelves-for-sh*t and a 12v chest cooler for PBR and hotdogs (in case Tom shows up).

But, that leaves out wifey, and I really really really like her.  So the RV stays in the picture until she is over it. So I do need a truck.

• Like 2

Went thru this dillema with the new trucks.

Dodge Eco Diesel 30mpg but EPA mapping in CA made it dangerous to drive, lemon lawed it back to dealer after several near rear end collisions due to the motor issues

Ford Ranger 2.3L eco diesel tows 5K lbs was getting 18mpg and even though crew cab back seat to small for 2 grown adults

Ford F150 with the 5.0 motor getting 20mpg freeway, better if it didnt have the 373 gearing. Rated to tow 13K lbs

All of these trucks were 4dr 4x4 fully loaded.

If you can find an F150 with the 5 liter motor in 2wd that would take care of all your needs if you got it with the extended cab instead of crew that gets you the longer bed options.

Thanks Dave!  Great intel, and helps me drill down in my searches with specifics.

I had similar parameters when I bought my truck three years ago. I purchased a used 2012 Ford F150 (previously owned only GM trucks my entire life) with the 3.5 EcoBoost twin turbo. The reason I went this route was for better gas mileage around town than the v8, the high tow rating for a 1/2 ton truck (something like 11,000 pounds), and more HP and torque than the V8. Plus it's a twin turbo and fun as heck to drive. The torque is impressive. I tow a 20' box trailer loaded with bikes. I need a crew cab for my family of 5 so ended up with the 6.5' bed. I've gotten four bikes in it, granted two of them were kids bikes. The F150 was updated in 2015 with some nice upgrades, mechanically and cosmetically, so I'd start there.

17 hours ago, DSM8 said:

Went thru this dillema with the new trucks.

Dodge Eco Diesel 30mpg but EPA mapping in CA made it dangerous to drive, lemon lawed it back to dealer after several near rear end collisions due to the motor issues

Ford Ranger 2.3L eco diesel tows 5K lbs was getting 18mpg and even though crew cab back seat to small for 2 grown adults

Ford F150 with the 5.0 motor getting 20mpg freeway, better if it didnt have the 373 gearing. Rated to tow 13K lbs

All of these trucks were 4dr 4x4 fully loaded.

If you can find an F150 with the 5 liter motor in 2wd that would take care of all your needs if you got it with the extended cab instead of crew that gets you the longer bed options.

I just sold my ram ecodiesel worst vehicle I have ever owned had $28k in warranty work plus all the recalls done to it before I sold.

New f150 are awesome I went with f250 diesel for towing reason 

Looking used there are some early F150 eco-boosts to avoid. I'm not really up on the specifics but my buddy had an early eco-boost F150 that was plagued with carbon buildup on the intake valves. I believe they later solved it with changes to the injection scheme but not sure what year that was done (looks like 2017)

Ford 3.5 EcoBoost Engine Problems: 3 Most Common Issues – Drive Celadon

Personally I've had a bunch of Tacoma's and Tundra's including my present Tundra Supercrew with zero issues. The 5.7L motor is pretty much bulletproof. Supercrew is a 5.5' bed but the Doublecab comes with 6.5'.  Mileage on the other hand will not be as good as the F150. That said used Toyota's are not cheap.

Thanks @PbdBlue.

Yeh, aint nothin' cheap anymore.  Since I gotta pay to play I'd like to focus on reliability with reasonable economy and just drive the thing until they eventually revoke my license.  

I don't have enough wallet for both a fancy bike and a fancy truck.  So I'll happily settle for less in a truck that meets my needs.

Wait, you're TRUCKING your BMW 1250 GS? Isn't that against Starbucks code?

19' Camper Trailer - why not a small toy hauler so you can easily load the bike inside for solo trips yet still have RV comfort for the wife when family camping?

Busted. 
yep. 
if I want my home to start looking like a storage lot with an RV, and a toy hauler that would be best. 
But, I still need a truck. 

2005 Duramax 2500.  Bought it new, sold it to friend that last time diesel went crazy ('07 as I recall) and bought it back from him about 7 years ago; won't ever sell it again.  Turned 285,000 miles today.  Chipped (450 HP) and lifted and it will pull anything I throw at it (and I pull a lot of trailers).  This is pre DEF.  Put in an alternator and just finally had the trans rebuilt; other than that nothing but oil changes (and one set of brakes).  May be more than you want/need but will be the last truck you'll need to buy and you won't regret having the power (side note; filled up today-282 miles on the odo and it took 16 gallons; not bad for a 6,000 pound vehicle!).

😉Dam! Maybe you just borrow it out to me for 10 years or so. 

Hurricane to La Mesa may prove to be a bit of a challenge!!

Seriously; if you look at the older trucks and find one that has been well cared for (and documented) they really will go a long time.  Mrs simicrintz's vehicle is diesel as well and uses DEF; try to avoid a vehicle that uses DEF if you find a diesel.  I could replace my truck with a new one for around $80K, or I could spend the occasional few dollars on it as needed to keep the old gal running-I choose the latter!

Good luck in your search!!

What about an older gasser truck. Say, the mid-2000s Superduty line. I've noticed the Ford V10 truck and some 5.4L with full Lariat packages aren't too pricey. I haven't really checked into the Chevy line too much but I'd imagine a 350 motored truck to be similar.

Sure the MPG won't match a Diesel truck but the used car prices are decidedly lower even on 4x4 models. If you get a truck with full amenities it won't necessarily feel "old" nor as outdated.

Depending on how many miles you'll be driving it's an option. Many have low miles as they were only used for similar hauling like you're speaking about

This is how I'm leaning. Older, lower miles, spend the money on maintenance/repairs instead of on the inflated market.  I'll have to tape a reminder up next to the fuel gauge that says "it's ok.  Remember how much you saved when you bought it."

I'm back in the calendar swamp again for a bit, so won't be able to really truck hunt for a month or so.  I'lll be moving/driving pops up to Idaho next month and get him settled into his apartment and leave the red Chevy with him there.  That's when I'll have to fully engage in truck shopping for myself.  I've been borrowing his 2013 this spring and it's spoiled me rotten.

IMG_3910.thumb.JPG.268cc526860ad720a8e46fc05646fa60.JPG

In the Midwest, 2wd 1/2 ton pickups sell for a fair amount less than here, people don’t want them in those areas.  Might be worth traveling to save thousands.

Also, if you can live with a standard cab those are always cheaper and more often have the long bed.

Less optioned models (like the Ram Tradesmen rather than the Laramie) or a little bit older models without things like navigation/backup cams/Bluetooth  are always way cheaper and you can add that stuff easily for very little money.  

Just some stuff to think about.

• Like 1

Sold this couple years ago. 2001 7.3 with 143,000 miles. With a matching shell and carpet kit too.  Wish I would of  kept itIMG_5500.thumb.jpg.bb54b1fb4e0ea885bc2c4a60322cb6b5.jpg

• Like 2

@crfxer totally get that -  I sold my F150 back in 2012, longbed with 36 gallon tank, smallest v8 option, manual windows, am/fm 2wd that i bought for 17k. Now that we both have bike(s) man I wish I still had it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tntmo said:

In the Midwest, 2wd 1/2 ton pickups sell for a fair amount less than here, people don’t want them in those areas.  Might be worth traveling to save thousands.

That's legit advice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

Also, if you can live with a standard cab those are always cheaper and more often have the long bed.

Less optioned models (like the Ram Tradesmen rather than the Laramie) or a little bit older models without things like navigation/backup cams/Bluetooth  are always way cheaper and you can add that stuff easily for very little money.  

Just some stuff to think about.

Almost every bike I’ve bought was a fly n ride. So I could happily do the same for a truck. Great idea Tom. 

Been in this situation recently.

Ended up buying a salvage title 2020 Chevy Colorado in really good condition. I can carry my multi and I constantly carry 2 dirt bikes.

I'm really happy with it.

• Like 1