Sign in to follow this  
Jlburgess

Pio Pico / Otay Locked

Well crap, there goes my favorite local easy loop.  According to BP today you can't enter Otay Wliderness or Sycamore Canyon anymore from Pio Pico which is now locked.  I spotted a sign descending from Doghouse Junction and had to backtrack and exit via Marron Valley which is the only access point left except for a 4' gap in the fence near the BP checkpoint.

They said too many accidents on that steep downhill with no guard rails.  🙄

• Sad 1

We need to report this to Ed Stovin of SDORC. They think they can just close and lock gates anytime they want.

But, problem is they are Homeland Security which may give them the right to do that without a formal process necessary to close designated routes.

Again, SDAR needs to contact Ed Stovin. 

My friend is BP, and he told me that the latest cartel fashion is to use SxS to smuggle drugs at OTMTT. This might be reason why they closed.

The other bad news is that Otay Mesa area is getting all fenced and gated as well... sad...

Pretty sure smuggling and accidents happen up the 5 as well, are they closing that too?

I stay off the main rd when I ride there but I can tell there’s definitely been more SxS there pre-running for the 1000 lately. Bummer.

6 hours ago, kato said:

Pretty sure smuggling and accidents happen up the 5 as well, are they closing that too?

I stay off the main rd when I ride there but I can tell there’s definitely been more SxS there pre-running for the 1000 lately. Bummer.

Yeah, I hate when people try to solve problems with knee jerk reactions, instead of going to the root of the problem.

They should keep the gate but have motorcycle only access similar to Pine Valley(But not quad wide)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SANRider said:

Apparently the gate is locked "indefinitely" by the owners of Pio Pico Campground, in coordination with the U.S. Border Patrol with the blessing of the BLM.

https://www.blm.gov/press-release/blms-minnewawa-truck-trail-north-access-closed-indefinitely

BUT, BLM is allowing the gate to be opened for special events,  like our event, The Mountain Dash.

BLM did not want to close it, but were under pressure from Border Patrol. 

Seems like they would have to complete an environmental impact report and if pushed with a temporary restraining order they would probably lose.

5 hours ago, Bubbagums said:

Seems like they would have to complete an environmental impact report and if pushed with a temporary restraining order they would probably lose.

Who ?

I'm sure Pio Pico was getting tired of the trucks with trailers and SXS taking over the small lot.  Double parked, blocking access to the propane...