DSM8

KTM 525 Subframe Repair

@Bubbagums somehow connected with me in some thread somewhere on this forum with the comment my subframe is cracked.

Told him bring it on by, they all do that but I can take a look and see if we can do something about it.

He and I have different ideas of cracked, and partially nuked.

😂

I am using links due to the size of the pictures

Before pics

BigOl Piece missing thar

Dirty greasy ugly ol girl

One more I cant believe it's not butter, given how it looks before the prom shot

So what is very interesting was the fact the extrusion that makes up the frame is X shaped internally so I could not create new billet slugs without a WHOLE bunch of work on the mill.
And the inserts that were there could not tell if they were a casting or billet but the whole thing was an absolute horror to weld.

I spent more time cooking out the contaminants than actual welding time. But after about 3.5 hours we got er done

After Pics

Not sure which side but they were both pretty bad off.

Had to redrill and chamfer the holes

Managed to get it all ground back to square, it's about 1/64" off on the inside but since no way to get it on the mill I have to face it off will have to due.

And of course the warrant expired at the end of the concrete slab of the workshop.

Bob you will have to give us an update I will be VERY curious to see how that holds up given how much damage existed before the repair.
Might want to keep an eye out for a new subframe just to be safe

😉😉

• Like 1

Awesome job!  Donation in your name went off to Mimi.   When I get my shock back from George and throw my bike together I will give you  a report.  

• Like 3

Awesome job Dave👍
Could you see a good way to reinforce the subframe to support more weight?

It was never designed for weight

there is just no real infrastructure to add to

if I Did it would be rebuilt using dom tubing 

Wow, nice job Dave !  And Bubba, thanks for sending a donation to Mimi.

10 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

Wow, nice job Dave !  And Bubba, thanks for sending a donation to Mimi.

It will be interesting to see how this holds up under use, in the meantime I hope he is shopping for another subframe because this one can not be repaired again.

Too much contamination where it was damaged to truly get a good and solid rebuild, I suspect it is going to crack, just no idea when or how.

@Suspenders

George thought you might like to see how the repair went since you were there for the initial unveiling.

😁