Pokey151

Were to ride a ADV bike this weekend?

I need to get some time on my 790.  Open to wherever.  I have ridden Black Mtn to Bee Canyon more than enough times, same with Palomar divide.   I just don't know where else to ride this.   I did ride it Pinyon to fish creek, but don't want to ride that much sand again until I change my front tire.

Open to suggestions and either Sat or Sunday would work

Loop Rodriguez and Mason Valley TT. 
Start at Banner. Stay right and go down Mason. Play in the wash at the bottom if you like or just turn left and come right back up to Banner on Rodriguez. 
take a friend as it’s not a beginner route and there’s a few opportunities for ‘adventures’ to happen. 

In no particular order:
Lost Valley, enters before Warner Springs Glider Port, will pop you back out in Anza and can then loop in Baileys, Red Mountain, etc.. 
Bailey's Cabin ride, from Coyote Canyon in Anza is a good run, but there is a sandwash at the bottom of the rocky descent. 
Blair Valley is good, but is sandy. Just straight up turning out in Ocotillo Wells SVRA and running around all through there is super fun, but sandy at times. 
You could run Grapevine, and Old Culp valley road, Jasper Trail, Yaqui, etc there is some options for playing around and finding other exits in that route, it is a bit sandy at times. 
There is also a big ranger road loop in Corral Canyon/Los Pinos, as well as the harder named routes within that area. 
As @Zubbsaid there is Rodriguez and Mason Valley TT, from the same area you can also head up Oriflamme which is a chunky rocky route that takes you up to some nice dirt, you can overlook the PCT and then pop out on the Highway right there near the Banner Store.

All fun and good routes, and there are more, would recommend an adv riding buddy - have fun!

• Like 1

Thanks, I’ve seen that route by the banner store.  I actually mapped it out yesterday.  I think I will try it out Sunday if my buddy makes it

3 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

Thanks, I’ve seen that route by the banner store.  I actually mapped it out yesterday.  I think I will try it out Sunday if my buddy makes it

I'm sure you'll love it.  I don't know your comfort level on the 790 but if it helps at all, I've taken quite a few Level 1 grad students down and up Rodriguez. Ruts, a couple of sections of light sand, and some rocky stretches, but overall what I call Level 1+.

Going down (only) Mason Valley I'd call Level 2. A lot of firm dirt, a little sand, and some picking through boulders and baby heads.  Level 2 class grads do it without much drama but some get worked a bit.

If you don't want to swim in deep sand, stay out of the wash at the bottom that dumps you out on the hiway.  You'll need to loop back up Rodriguez back to Banner.

There are 3 gates on Rodriguez.  Go through them and close them behind you.  Leaving those gates open would likely impact our future use of the trail.

Wish I could join you.  Take a friend and have fun.

• Like 1

Zubb, can you remind us of the scale you use as you guide Pokey?  Pokey, safe travels and have fun!

Actually, I will start another post for Zubb to use to respect Pokey's post.....