Message from Steve Baldwin
S.gif

Folks,

We recently received the below message from Steve Baldwin. Some of you will remember him for his help to the OHV community. He is one of the good guys!

--Jim McGarvie
S.gif

This is Steve Baldwin. I’m a former state legislator who represented the East County from 1994-2000. I was elected with heavy support from the San Diego Off-Road Coalition and fought for the creation of off-road areas and did everything I could to stop the liberals from closing down off-road areas. Jim McGarvie can tell you all about it.  

Anyway, I’m part of a team of researchers called the “Legend Detectives” and we’ve been researching stories of the old west for many years; stories like the Peg Leg Smith story, the Lost Dutchman mine and the Lost Ship of the Desert. We are negotiating right now to turn our research into a reality TV show.

We all live in San Diego County and have been researching the Lost Ship story for a year now. As you probably know, this is the story about a channel of water that came up from the Gulf of Mexico or the Sea of Cortez to the Salton Sea area over 500 years ago and during that time period, so the story goes, a Spanish ship came up the water channel and became grounded. There have been sightings of the remnants of this ship dating back to 1850 and I have files on over 30 sightings. But one of the most intriguing sightings involved an off-road group out of Indio combined with other off-roaders from the nearby area. Some may have been from San Diego. This group actually went to a ship site and saw the wood fragments of the ship.

This expedition has been written about but no one seems to know their names and I believe most of these people have passed away because we talking about the 1960’s or maybe the 1970’s. However, we are looking for family members—or anyone for that matter—who has heard this story as we would like to interview them. In fact, we would also be interested in interviewing any off-roader who may have seen the remains of this ship, regardless if the sighting was part of this story or not.

Steve Baldwin

There is a lost ship fiberglass mold on the Bradshaw Trail .. Mabey that was the one .

On 1/21/2022 at 8:49 AM, KTMrad said:

did everything I could to stop the liberals

Oh, goody.

I know this story and who has a map. I will contact him to let him know that there is renewed interest. Thanks for posting

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

I know this story and who has a map. I will contact him to let him know that there is renewed interest. Thanks for posting

Is it possible that the Breakfast Club could ride over and check it out ? 

11 hours ago, kkug said:

Is it possible that the Breakfast Club could ride over and check it out ? 

That would be a fun ride! 

Sure would like to get in on this. 

Hey Ken, was that your rig up pinion wash the other day?

I passed along the information to my friend. I believe that the area in question is just over the border in Mexico though. I'll update when/if he updates me back. Might be some "secret squirrel" stuff going on.  😎

On 1/23/2022 at 9:20 PM, 97xr400r said:

Sure would like to get in on this. 

Hey Ken, was that your rig up pinion wash the other day?

I don,t think so . The last time out for me was New Years.

On 1/23/2022 at 10:12 PM, SoCalMule said:

I passed along the information to my friend. I believe that the area in question is just over the border in Mexico though. I'll update when/if he updates me back. Might be some "secret squirrel" stuff going on.  😎

Well we used to ride across the Border at Pinto Wash. Do they detain Senior,s anymore ? 

I have also heard of this story. Logic would say that any water passage from the Sea of Cortez into the Imperial Valley would be the lowest possible elevation route, leading into the below sea level Salton Sea (which is the lowest of the low points in that entire area). So here is a map to kind of overlay and follow those "wash"/river lanes North from the Sea of Cortez into the valley.

https://en-us.topographic-map.com/maps/9f6b/Imperial-County/

Also who knows maybe there is a ship under the Salton Sea.

13 hours ago, Timothyloves said:

That's interesting

Right?  Let's form a hunting party and go tag this thing in a group photo.

I remember this from a National Geographic documentary years ago. GPR, metal detectors, drones etc were deployed. All that was found in the wash by Mexicali was Square Ship Nails, Some other ship spike thing, a few rigging pieces and wood  "Of the Era". It was a theory that IF a ship made it up to the Salton Sea and got stranded it would have been dismantled as building materials by the locals so there would be no "Site" to visit. There is suppose to be a cave carving from the local native population of the ship but was proven to be "Fake". 

I'd be in for this ride. I have camera drones that would be great for arial views. Is this asphalt, trail, or said riding?

this would be hard core no-trail hunting in the baja desert. I never leave the GS home. But would certainly be looking for a desert bike to use should this idea ever become an actual plan. 

If Nat Geo couldn’t find it, then I’m sure we won’t. Would love to see that episode about this.