ECDave

Anza Borrego 1/15/22

I will be heading out to AB Saturday to ride, most likely the northern portion but who knows where I will end up. I will be on the big bike, unless someone persuades me to ride the small one! If anyone is interested we can decide on a meeting place that works for us.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 6:54 AM, ECDave said:

I will be heading out to AB Saturday to ride, most likely the northern portion but who knows where I will end up. I will be on the big bike, unless someone persuades me to ride the small one! If anyone is interested we can decide on a meeting place that works for us.

I am going to ride on sunday on A small bike.. Anza Borrego area

CV enjoy Sunday, unfortunately I have plans,  otherwise I would be all in.  Maybe next time. I will be shooting for monthly rides in ABDSP until late spring. As always, i will post when I am going.

• Like 1

ECDave, Odds are good that I will be casually riding a Black T7 to see what feels comfortable in dirt, rock, and varied deepness of sand  (old guy, new experience, agenda dependent upon number of bifs ) on Culp, Mason, rodriguez, Blair, mud caves, old borrego valley pole rd, both out n backs eastward of Bow willow, etc.  Very likely that I will be at the Ranchita yeti at 10 for any who want to wander and laugh (although this mornings rain may delay arrival a bit).  Mac

1 hour ago, MacDuncan said:

ECDave, Odds are good that I will be casually riding a Black T7 to see what feels comfortable in dirt, rock, and varied deepness of sand  (old guy, new experience, agenda dependent upon number of bifs ) on Culp, Mason, rodriguez, Blair, mud caves, old borrego valley pole rd, both out n backs eastward of Bow willow, etc.  Very likely that I will be at the Ranchita yeti at 10 for any who want to wander and laugh (although this mornings rain may delay arrival a bit).  Mac

Wish I could join you on this. Sounds like a perfect plan. 

ECDave, I saw what looked like recent single big bike tracks on much of my route, was that you?

No, unfortunately that wasn't  me. I only made it to Fonts point. Oh boy do I have a good story!  So I awoke Saturday to look outside and see rain. Oh well, It isn't raining that bad. I departed around 8:30 and the rain was done by the time I reached east Alpine, so up and over through Julian and down Banner I go. This ride is becoming alot like my morning commute! This time I didn't make the left to head south, I headed down the road a bit to the left turn to go up and over to Borrego. I stopped at the school to loose the jacket liner and winter gloves as the weather was almost perfect in the desert. Off I went to the east to find the turn off to Fonts point. Apparently this is the most popular trail/road in AB because there were a lot of people airing down. When  am alone this is a welcomed sight because in my mind if something goes sideways  , help wont be far away. So off I go into the sand. It took a couple hundred yards for the comfortable loose riding position to happen but it kicked in. This sand is a little different from the sand that I have been riding! I noticed it gets a bit deep in the corners, so I try to avoid it. Well, I missed one and finally went horizontal!!!!IMG_0085.jpg.1582c8b3efbe0438f0577910b47cb368.jpg

No big deal, I have been waiting for this to happen, it's like the rain, it's going to happen. One thing I didnt know, when the bike get's to a point, like when the foot peg hits the ground, hit the eject button! I got my foot stuck under the rear of the bike. Not a big deal, squeeze out, get sleeping bike picture so that I can ridicule myself later. The Toyota truck group was nice enough to ask if I was OK. I told them no help is necessary, I have practiced for this in my garage! You all know the drill, turn around and use your legs to lift, easy except my foot kinda hurts. Oh well ,I need to make it to the scenic overlook. Off I go , but wait, it is kinda uncomfortable to stand. Not a big deal, onward. I made it to the top and rested for a bit. I decided that my ankle was probably sprained, so that means road riding for the rest of the day! Down I go heading toward the highway. sitting down riding deep sand is the stupidest thing a person can do! 5 more bike naps later I made it to S22. By this time I am cooked, my confidence is at ZERO and I look forward to taking the other way home. Up to Ranchita, then the wonderful 78 to 67, lot's more rain around Ramona then home by 1:00. Not a long day by any meens, but I am cooked and my ankle hurts. Shifting gears started getting harder, that should have been an indication. Me being stubborn, I was sure that it was a sprain, so I took it easy the rest of the day and the evening, hopping back and forth to the barbecue to cook dinner and retrieve beers from the fridge. Sunday morning I was in excruciating pain, so I decided to admit defeat and head to the urgent care before everyone else! Surprise!!!! I broke my leg!!  IMG_0088.jpg.4680219b8636d7dd1f2105d37ae5fd5d.jpg

I always have enjoyed learning lessons the hard way!!!!

So I will see you guys out on the trail in 6 to 8 weeks hopefully!

New Guys REMEMBER to hit the ejector button! crashes 2 through 6 were textbook!

• Like 1

Sometimes we can't control our "get offs" or "naps!" Good news is you were able to make it home safely. Heal fully and quickly!

Golly Gee, that sure is a bummer.  My loops were near by and I wish I could have helped.  I was probably out of ham radio range, but I will share my phone number with you once you are up and about in case we are out wandering around in close proximity again.  All the best.  

Definitely need to have communication with others as a backup plan. Part of the reason why I post ride dates is incase the worst happens, there will be a place to start looking.  

I see these little incidents as a part of the adventure! I definitley have the crash ejection seat engrained into my skilset now. 

Is that my old xray? Do what they say, hopefully no surgery. When I did it I thought my shifter was broken, Duh. 

Heal quick.

ECDave, If your whereabouts as posted on this site was Northern area of ABDSP,  that is still a lot of ground to search.  And as you mentioned, good logic that you were glad that you saw other folks on the way to fonts. I had similar thoughts when I passed 17 jeeps just a mile south of Banner, but I didn't pass many others on the other 70 miles of dirt I rode alone. Even fantastic riders go for a tumble and bif occasionally.  My bike and its rider took a nap or 2 saturday as well. 😕

As you contemplate safety and communication,  there are a bunch of knowledgable riders on this site that are kind and wise and will offer pointers. Feel free to PM me and I will be happy to share what I use as I ride solo a bunch. Or....  Maybe take notes from this recent event:

There are experienced and excellent riders sharing good info there, and you can research what will work best for you. 

Wishing you a quick recovery.  Mac

20 hours ago, ECDave said:

Down I go heading toward the highway. sitting down riding deep sand is the stupidest thing a person can do!

Damn.

I'm awfully stupid.

Sorry about the leg, take it easy, recover and see you out there!

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

I'm awfully stupid.

Well . . . I'll let you and your riding posse be the judge of that. 😁

Your horse is designed to handle seated riding in sand.  His horse is not.  ECDave is correct in his statement.  His cardinal error from the story line above is that he did not eject early enough.  One should get the hell-outa the way when the heavy bikes can no longer balance themselves.  After being trapped once under my GS, I have since mastered the art of drop, tuck and roll.  It adds a lot of style to the dismount if you ask me.

By the way, sorry for your injury ECDave.  I love that you are taking the big dog out and exploring off road.  Chin up.  See you out there this spring!

Zubb, I knew you would get the "ejector seat" comment. Like I have always said, I learn my lessons the hard way. I suppose the biggest takeaway from this is 100 percent focus all the time. seems that I stopped for a brief second and then it was too late.

Nailed it.

I've long said that once you have the fundamentals down for dirt, ruts, sand, hills, etc . . . it's all about your eyeballs and mental focus.  I know when I fall down it always comes back to having not paid attention to what's coming up. My Yoda tells me I should never be surprised.  If I'm surprised by something than I'm not focusing enough.