Well it happened. I was out riding with some of my regular riding crew in an area we ride through all the time. The terrain must have changed a little from the last time I rode through there because of some of the winter storms. This is usually a 50 mph area and I was probably riding about that speed when I hit something, not sure what. The next thing I remember is laying facedown with LB holding me still and telling me to try and not move. I can’t thank my riding partners enough  LB, PMB and Randy for how they handled the situation from that point on. It’s super important that you trust your crew to be able to handle a situation and very fortunate to ride with some of the best. Nice helicopter ride to Palomar Hospital and 4 days in the Trauma unit with 7 broken ribs most with multiple breaks and a collapsed lung. This all happened on 12/22 so I got to spend Christmas in the hospital. I’m home and recovering well. I’m up and about and taking short walks in my neighborhood (very short). I’ll probably be back on the bike in March. Don’t know how this will effect my riding, time will tell.

All photos by PMB

2730C0EA-A651-48B0-B1AB-73B6D795ABF2.jpeg

9F6B95FB-F54C-4436-A24A-48CB4BDB051C.jpeg

8EB458C6-75A1-4806-A0BD-102B18020420.jpeg

C2BA258F-0A81-4EE3-9B96-FCA19276628C.jpeg

7D8F34AA-42BD-4812-8853-C98DD927A031.jpeg

• Sad 2

Most important question: How’s the bike?

Heal quickly!

Dang Chris, sorry to hear this! But, glad you are recovering and up and walking through the hood. I recognize the area in the pics. Good crew to be with! Heal fully and quickly! You'll be back on the bike in no time.

Those kind of injuries sure do suck, especially for us riders who are not spring chickens anymore.  About eight years ago, I did a big endo, got knocked out, broke a bunch of ribs, and never really fully recovered....but I recovered enough to keep on riding.  I hope and suspect that you will too.🤠

Golly Gee, But hope to see you riding along side soon, as your slow is my fast, so we will be equally paced for a week or 2. :).   All the best for a quick Heal!

I know you have this covered. What is better than some Adventure. And now get back on your Feet's.

Adventure yes.jpg

So sorry to hear of your crash and injuries. But it looks like it’s about time to get you out of the house. If you can drive come and join us for a barbecue Wednesday night at a planning meeting. If not let me know and I’ll bring the cage over and pick you up. Can’t let you sit there and rot in your fancy recliner chair.

• Like 1

Hope you heal up soon . Take it easy- take a break from the Motos for a while. I have some Dual Sport Bicycles you can ride if you want . Let me know .

Well Chris,,, I am glad you are maintaining your typical sense of humor. ( the doll picture. ). None of us want to be That Guy; we think we have a work around to avoid that. It does change your perspective and that can be for the better. Confidence is a funny thing; we need it but it can bite you. Possibly it is not even about over reaching but as PMB said, it is just that hidden rock that gets you. That is part of the pride you feel every time you get back to the truck after successfully beating the challenge once again.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Here is a deal. You and me get a Honda Cub 125 and start our riding carrier over. But you already have one so it is up to me!  Reset

Now that we know you are going to live, the priority now is to heal up and start prepping for a kick ass Spring ride.

LB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

Now that we know you are going to live, the priority now is to heal up and start prepping for a kick ass Spring ride.

LB

Now might be a good time to do the top end. Are you interested in doing it?

14 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Now might be a good time to do the top end. Are you interested in doing it?

Sure. Text me. 

And Chris,, 

Have you  had the time to look at the suspension, for example the forks?

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

And Chris,, 

Have you  had the time to look at the suspension, for example the forks?

Not a close look yet. I did call George and scheduled to drop the bike off in a couple weeks.

• Like 1

Glad it wasn't worse. Get well soon!

Curious: was this one of those situations where you sent an SOS thru a Spot or some such? Like to know the details on the immeadiate plan of action and rescue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ptkatoomer said:

Glad it wasn't worse. Get well soon!

Curious: was this one of those situations where you sent an SOS thru a Spot or some such? Like to know the details on the immeadiate plan of action and rescue.

Great question, I am also curious or if just cell service was avail so called. I will also say though, literally five minutes after reading this post I thought about this, and ordered a Garmin InReach Mini... It's on the way. 

6 minutes ago, shutterrev said:

Great question, I am also curious or if just cell service was avail so called. I will also say though, literally five minutes after reading this post I thought about this, and ordered a Garmin InReach Mini... It's on the way. 

You'll be glad to have it.  

Dozens of trips where I've been able to text with the wife from remote campsites in CA/CO/WA/Baja/ID letting her know I'm safe.  Even texted a few work things to my assistant from off the grid.  I even attempted a trailside repair on the COBDR via text thru inReach.  I lost my tank bag full of EXPENSIVE stuff in central WA a couple years ago.  Fortunately I had the inReach in the bag.  It's the only reason I was able to get the bag back.  About $1grand worth of joy on that one! Though I now carry it on me.

A friend of mine just did the CABDR with 2 other riders.  They all had in Reach mini's.  All on loaded 1200/1250's. One fried the clutch in the Mojave, texted the other one who was half a day behind, to go back and get the truck. Between three riders and the dealership in Riverside texting via inReach they only lost one full day on the trail (dealer stayed open that night to receive the 1250 and install clutch so the Rider could drive back and join the group again.  

InReach Mini is EDC for me now.

• Like 1