Living without a bike for a whole month was brutal.  No I am not exaggerating. Sometimes you don't realize how important something is in your life until you don't have it anymore.

On November 11th I watched my 2014 GSA roll down my driveway and out of my life to make room for the new hotness.  For a whole month I stared at an empty garage with no motorbike.  Doesn't sound like such a big deal, but it was interesting to me to see how it felt.  No instant get away when I needed a few minutes to "reset".  No planning or joining group rides. No riding.  Taking the car anywhere I wanted to go ..... how weird is that!?!?

I couldn't hardly wait for Dec 18, this last weekend to get my new ride.  A 2020 1250GS HP.  I bought it from a friend and fellow W38M mate.  He rode it like I do.  Which means there a few scratches here and there but was maintained well above BMW recommendations  

0A2B41EB-67D2-4C8D-8C51-EFF67ACACDAD.thumb.jpeg.95078323db3429f050f39a2c1af1f8b4.jpeg

Barb and Charlie the Loan Dog drove me over to Coolidge AZ where Chris and Cassie were meeting me at Tom Thompsons house.  Tom has competed in Trials since he was 7 years old.  He has 3 bikes.   The 1250 GS HP, a 450, and a trials bike.  He was a winner at the 2018 GS Trophy Challenge in Mongolia.  Probably the nicest guy on the planet, and just likes to ride anything, anywhere.

Chris just bought the new 2022 1250 GSHP and sold me his cast off.  It's how I buy bikes and cars.  Typically 2 or 3 years old, low miles and running 'good as new'.

Cassie was on a 2019 1250GS HP that she has just sold to Dusty.  Her new 1250 is currently in the paint shop for some custom paint and waiting for armored hardware to arrive.  So all four of us had a little West38Moto ride weekend, on four white HP's, all looking to ride stuff that society says we shouldn't be riding.  The only one missing was Dusty (bummer).  And my son Adam in Seattle.  He has a fairly new 1250HP as well and rides it like he stole it.  But he and his wife are prepping for baby #4 to arrive about Christmas eve or so.  So we let him off the hook.

We arrived in Coolidge Friday night at 8:30, Barb and Charlie greeted everyone, exchanged hugs and then left for Pheonix to see family for a couple days.  The rest of us took an hour or so to bolt on some accessories I brought for my new stallion.  And then opened the bottle of Celebratory Whiskey I brought to get things started.

1E0519D3-966A-4C43-ADA9-45DBF19E5A10.thumb.jpeg.c34e727e36ace6e9e5e45c94f78d3349.jpeg
A28D3EB5-7558-4CFA-A55B-650E28E8F07A.thumb.jpeg.14f37c62d07999123baf4a2e0c559c42.jpeg

4F6045F3-9AC9-4CFB-8CDF-09A79D49B6A8.thumb.jpeg.754e5026bd3767060549374fd95a1d4d.jpeg

9047A4D5-0BB7-47BA-953C-C74CB820BF11.thumb.jpeg.d3065f15e1856eed4a06de378d9d84f9.jpeg

7EFBE7DA-4F7B-4A2E-B41D-1BDDFFA84528.thumb.jpeg.f76dc258eca5b791b65a90786eb3b2d3.jpeg

Saturday morning we were lazy and let it warm up a bit before starting out.  42* or something like that is a bit brisk.  Definitely had the heated jacket on and winter gloves.  Then around 10am we pulled off the trail to shed a layer as we were getting to Box Canyon and would be working harder on the bikes now.  We pulled into an undeveloped camp area where there was one pickup truck and a small camper.  The camper had a stack of about 8 or 10 HUGE speakers... like arena sized speakers.  They we pumping out this massive volume of Euro-Rasta type music that was very night club ish. There was just one guy, waist length dreadlocks, wearing an old ratty suit coat, that was walking in circles through the sage brush and cactus. We were at least 200 feet from the speakers and the volume was so high that we had to fairly shout at each other to hold a conversation. Truly one of the strangest things I've ever seen in the desert.

DFFCA804-DE42-4A62-970F-D41E4BE417BD.thumb.jpeg.8e6d86a9baaa7c05dce227adf80bb170.jpeg

We headed up this box canyon that was one of the coolest and prettiest trails I've ever ridden.  On a different day I would have spent hours there taking pics.  Think Titus Canyon.  Only barely wide enough for a jeep to get through.  And super tight and twisty.  And rutted, and ledgy, and sandy.  The vertical walls were literally covered with almost florescent lichen that shimmered in the sunlight as you rode through.  Watching the bikes braap around the corners up this very tight crack was stunning.. . . . . . . sadly... I did not stop for pics.  We had 100 technical miles to go that day and I knew we'd never make it if I kept telling everyone to stop and ride back through this so I can get a pic!  Ugh!!  We all swore an oath to come back on another trip and spend some time there for pics.

I recently bought a Sena 50S as I got tired of being odd man out as the only Cardo in the group.  Yes, Cardo is "better".  No, Sena's and Cardo's don't play well together regardless of what anyone will tell you.  So I was back in the conversation this trip and boy was it fun.  Normally, any more than 2 on an intercom is a mess.  But we connected all four of us and geeze was it fun.  Probably because we are such good friends, and probably in part because so much of the day required focus and concentration.  It wasn't conducive to jibber-jabber.  Being able to talk in our helmets together as a group all day was fantastic!  Not only for traffic warnings, but Tom (leading) could simply warn to "stay left" at the top of the blind corner, or something to that effect.  Also nice to on occasion just do a check to see if everyone is still rolling.

BB071002-AE78-464F-909A-E5C965BB1BB2.thumb.jpeg.4c1e40c69d8c1064f8e79c2ea42d709c.jpeg

Chris and Cassie and I had a few 'offs' and 'stucks' but that's just par for the course when we are out really having fun.  It's pretty awesome having Tom there to pitch your ideas off of when things get real wonky. It's nice to get off and walk a line with him and talk through your choices, and where you are going to grab traction, and where to drag the clutch, and in what gear.  Im always amazed that trials riders just see things differently than us mortals do.  I'm afraid I'll be trying to see what he see's for the rest of my days.  In one spot I got kicked sideways and had to stop mid climb.  It was steep and full of melons and baseballs.... and that was between the ledges.  Getting started up hill again can be quite vexing.  Even though I fancy myself an accomplished man on the clutch, I kept spinning out.  So Tom jumped on and feathered right up the hill though all the trouble, over all the ledges without so much as a single tire spin.  Jeeze!

D80F7337-B82F-4462-A833-94F8DF77C4AE.thumb.jpeg.79505b027d5861ba35b7fed890ceb812.jpeg

Oops.

5CE1A395-242A-4439-ACB5-C60370EA41C4.thumb.jpeg.1d57e4d0e1592caa7b2f2f619de0a50e.jpeg

4E509BDE-2033-4B47-AC4C-9EDD5B4DB518.thumb.jpeg.93469d4ac8b0650fda23dd78842fc5a1.jpeg

Hey I think that's a starbucks over there ...

F78E2CC1-A7CC-4F5B-8DA4-0E1C6839F9B5.thumb.jpeg.95dc084691cc515d23dd72d3beb77010.jpeg

We rode past dark getting out and back to Toms home. I gotta say, the three of us were thrashed! I ride a lot.  And I don't generally get too tired even after 12+ hours on the pegs because I've learned to stay balanced and not fight the bike.  But Tom's route had my legs cramping, my shoulders screaming and my hands starting to blister by nightfall.  Back at the ranch, we surveyed the bikes and a couple new battle scars then proceeded to kill that wonderful bottle of 10yr old Tin Cup before moving to the actual meal.

Sunday mornings alarm went off way too early at 5:30.  Ugh! My ol' muscles were screaming at me! My whole core, my deltoids, back muscles, triceps, to name a few were very very unhappy.  I felt I'd learned and experienced a few things Saturday and the sore body told me it wasn't just a dream.  So packed and rolling before 7, I headed to Pheonix to meet Barb at her sisters house for breakfast and to show off my incredible bike to people who have know idea what they are looking at.  Which is fine.  I had an hour and a half ride during what I call the very best part of every single day.  It's that half hour before sunrise when the roads are empty and your gear is all zipped tight because it's 35* and the snowflake is blinking on your dash.  The heated vest and grip warmers are both on high as you roll along that lost feeling highway between the tall cactus shadows and straight toward the moon as if you could catch it.  You keep looking in the mirror and then it starts to happen.  That amazing orange and purple glow of the sunrise behind you, starting small and then growing until you can see the edge of that massive fireball starting to peek over the mountains.  The previous night it was the brilliant sunset before me with the full moon rising behind me.  This morning was the exact opposite.  The pseudo photographer inside me was begging for a decent camera and the time to stop.  The rider in me didn't dare waste a a drop of the few golden moments before they faded to daylight.  Both Kelly's agreed to a compromise and I whipped over to snap a quick iPhone pic just for proof that I was there.  Again.  That the world is still gorgeous and there is peace and beauty in moments if you make the effort to find them.

36AB3E20-B26D-4C37-A4E9-E6C9B6539D2F.thumb.jpeg.ede6ddd25934c3217d28c6fe59ac7a2f.jpeg

350 road miles gives one a little time and space to contemplate the happy nuances of a new bike.  Is the 1250 really any better than the 1200?  Was it worth the money?  What don't I like about this bike?  Well I can tell you that even on sh*tty worn out tkc80's, the bike is a dream machine.  The front tire is gone. I mean totally.  The rubber in between the center knobs is worn.  And the rear only has 1/8" or less on those center knobs.  TKC80's start out great and quickly go to hell on the road.  But even so, this bike is so dang impressive.  The 1200 engine is a marvel.  But the 1250 shift cam is even better.  Equally off road and on.  Every little thing about the bike is just a little better both on and off road.  And for me they add up to a big win.  I am ecstatic with the new machine and can't wait to introduce it to all my favorite routes and photo stops and diners.  The only thing I don't like about it is the 5 gallon tank!  Grant it, one of the reasons I upgraded was to shave off 50 lbs from the adventure model.  But twice on Sunday I looked down to see a huge yellow box overtake the whole TFT screen saying "you have 30 miles of fuel moron!  Find a gas station!"  It doesn't help either that at modern highway speeds that often have 3 digits, the fuel mileage drops to the low 20's.  So I guess it's self inflicted to some degree.

70D7DE99-E87E-489F-8152-0A4B83E768AD.thumb.jpeg.0e3d121375993be9d5aa242d7dae31c6.jpeg

I saw an Arizona I'd never seen before and instantly fell in love with it. It is truly a stunning place.

Now, to get some RallZ's mounted tomorrow and get to riding!

CD264237-9235-485E-BE5F-A203879ADD19.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zubb said:

4E509BDE-2033-4B47-AC4C-9EDD5B4DB518.thumb.jpeg.93469d4ac8b0650fda23dd78842fc5a1.jpeg

Now, to get some RallZ's mounted tomorrow and get to riding!

Congrats! Good call on the new rubber...enjoy!

• Like 1

Kelly....    you should write for a magazine....  you are so talented telling a story.

Very jazzed for you with your new ride.    Can't wait to see it in person .

I agree on Arizona....  having spent some time traveling/sightseeing the last couple years....there are so many beautiful places there. 

PS: Green is still the best color.  🤪

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bub_Hannah said:

Kelly....    you should write for a magazine....  you are so talented telling a story.

Very jazzed for you with your new ride.    Can't wait to see it in person .

I agree on Arizona....  having spent some time traveling/sightseeing the last couple years....there are so many beautiful places there. 

PS: Green is still the best color.  🤪

Ha!  Whites the new green bro!

47 minutes ago, ECDave said:

WOW!! thats a nice newish machine. is that Yamaha blue i see on the tank?

You got me!  There's 2 little tiny T7's stuffed into those two big jugs sticking out the side.  Twice the goodness of just one T7!

9 hours ago, Uncle Champ said:

You scratched it!

I good horse needs to know who's boss.  She bucked a little with her new owner but I always make 'em get back on the trail and go where I say.  In my experience it takes a few days in the saddle for me to learn her quirks and her to learn eventually I'm going to win.  She'll be eating carrots out of my hand before this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, hobiee said:

Do bavarian horses eat carrots ??

No carrots, only BRATWURST.

• Like 1

Every time I read one of your amazing stories I think I'd like to get a "Real" Adventure bike , but then I go and look at one and realize just how BIG these things really are (compared to my little 500exc) and that intimidates the heck out of me. Being a life-long dirt-bike only guy for 48years I can't imagine taking those bikes on some of those trails that I would want to. I really think I'd get myself in over my head really quick. It'd be tough to know when to scale back,

• Like 1

That's not an unpopular opinion.  There are quite a few people who ride and race dirt bikes all their lives.  Then go buy a 1290 and find it VERY uncomfortable off road, eventually deciding to keep it just for gravel travel.

I rode dirt bikes as a kid and then 3 wheelers and quads, and then nothing for about 2-3 decades. Got into road bikes and then road touring for a few years and then my son talked me into getting an old 1150GS.  Fell in love with the backcountry opportunity it provided but quickly "feared" the beast on wonky surfaces.  So I took a weekend class, and it literally changed my life.  Learning how to control a big bike, from a big bike instructor . . . it just worked for me.  I took another weekend class and before you know it I'm actually having fun in what we know as the "Great Equalizer" ... sand.  I love it.  It's not a dirt bike.  But it goes wonderfully where most dirt bikes go. And it carves pavement and eats miles like no other.  So for me, it's perfect.  My son and I can ride 800 miles comfortably toward each other in one day.  Then ride 3 days of trails together, and each ride 800 miles back home.  I can ride a 300 mile day around the county of 60% fantastic roads and 40% fantastic trails. Or jump on it and ride to Pheonix to see family and ride home the next day on just about the best touring machine there is.  It is the ultimate motorcycle for me.  I can't do that on very well on a 500, and I sure can't do the sand on a Goldwing.  😂

I don't have the race or trail bike background that most of our members here have, so I never felt like it didn't perform well off road (compared to a 500).

These require being ridden differently than your dirt bike and I think that's why there's many riders that struggle with the big BMW or KTM or Triumph, etc.  We get quite a few folks through class that were very comfortable on their skinny bikes but are terrified of the big girl off road.  And that's what lights me up when coaching.  Learning to trust and love the world class adventure bike off road changed the trajectory of my life.  And when I see the light go on in others eyes, I get so happy for them it makes me happy.  It's not hard to learn really, shoot, if I can do it anyone can do it.  

There are a lot of riders that will never "take" to the full sized adventure bikes, and that's all good.  What's really good is that you love what you ride.  Whether it's a 1290 or a scooter (I'm looking at you Tom).  It's just that those two riders probably will be miserable trying to travel together.

To your point above, it's not hard to know where to scale back.  You go.  You'll ride. And you'll quickly learn what your comfort level is.  And with time and practice you'll move that boundary up as far as you want to.  Everyone is different, just like on 450's or 500's.  Some go fast, some slow, some ride the gnar, and others prefer more terra firma.  Some folks just RIP on their 950's or 990's.  Others ride them like they are scared and just enjoy owning a Legend.  When you think about it, there's a LOT of people that own a BMW 1000RR, but very few people who know how to really ride it!!  And that's cool if that's what you want.

Riding like you see in this video isn't hard to learn or do. Just about anyone with the desire can play around like these guys with a little time and coaching.  The beamers aren't fragile, you're not going to break it unless you get really really crazy.

If you've ever dreamed about throwing some luggage on the bike and waking up 24 hours later a thousand miles from here, and then riding a BDR or TAT or mainland Mexico..... get an amazing full on 1090, 1190, 1290, 1200/1250 ..... full on ADV bike.! (can someone say Triumph 1200 or Ducati 1260enduro!!!)  Scratch that itch, because it's gonna itch for the rest of your life until you do.

And that's all I have to say about that. 8-)

• Like 2

Hey Zubb 

I get that those low jugs give the bike a low balance point, plus stop the bike from lying flat when down. What I can’t imagine is that the bike has the front geometry to handle correctly in sand or loose traction. I learned to ride the desert on a 990, but it was always unreliable at the front wheel. The front would just go away without warning. You are saying the front is reliable off-road and on the highway? Hard to believe.

Well I don't know what 'reliable' means.  Reliable is what it is until it isn't (I'm not trying to be a smart ass for once).

The 990 is incredible.  And it's pretty old tech.  And I am anything but a technician. So I don't know the answer to your question.  Plus I've never ridden a 990. My two "mentors" tell me the most fun they ever had was on a 950 or 990.  But yet they choose to ride the  modern german brand off road, mostly in CA, Baja, AZ, NM and UT.  That is a LOT of sand country.  They rode 22 full weeks last year off road, both bought new bikes this year and again chose the 1250GS.  They could've chose T7, 890, 701,901, anything.  They are not brand loyal.  They are motorcyclists.

The front end of a big bike is never going to ride like your trusted 450 in deep sand and gravel.  And that's one of the differences that require a little different riding mindset and technique.  Heavy Metal likes to plow instead of float like the butterfly.  As for the variety of bikes and how they handle.... the big BMW is comparatively the worst.  That big metal Telelever plate on the front, and how it manages suspension (lack of feedback) is not sand friendly COMPARED TO any of the traditional fork bikes (KTM for example).  .  .  .  .  depending on your speed.This is more fodder for a campfire conversation really because there are a lot of qualifiers and "yeh but's" in this next statement.  But regarding the 1000cc bikes, in general, I feel,  in my experience, (add more qualifiers here _____________) The 1200/1250 BMW is easily the best of the bunch from 1st to 3rd gear.  The Big KTM is the best of the bunch from 3rd to 6th gear.  That's not to say that either of them suck anywhere through the whole gearbox.  The KTM is race bred.  The BMW is comfort bred.  They both overlap somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.  BMW's 40 years of experience in this category immediately shows through the first hour you ride one.

For some perspective though, I've ridden the power line from Ocotillo Wells to Plaster City at 50-70mph, and felt like I could go to 100 if I had the interest.  Had I been on a 1090, I'd have surely wanted to shift up a couple more gears and rip.  The KTM is a LOT of work at low speeds.  The BMW is flickable by comparison.  Neither one is ever going to be the joyous experience of a well set up 450.  Fish creek is always going to be more work on the big bike than on a dirt bike.  But the better your skills get, the more fun it becomes. 

So we compensate and pay more attention to things like balance.  You can make a lot of errors with balance on a light bike. Not so much on the big ones.  The slower you go, the more important balance is.  The faster you go, the smaller movements you make and the margin for error in those gets broader.  I hate wrestling the bike because it always wins.  So I work on balance and the weight goes away.  And when it does, I can relax.  And flow. When I get out of balance that's where the work comes in.

I don't expect to ever be able to float over Glamis Dunes, but it would be fun to try sometime when I have several friends along to help push and laugh at me.  But it is mesmerizing to watch this guy do it daily.

I could watch this guy for hours.  Wait... I have watched this guy for hours.  It's mesmerizing to me.

I think the red sand in South Africa has a bit more traction that we have here, but regardless... his balance front/back and side/side is perfect for the most part.  He knows what angle to take up the dunes, and how to manage his speed or lack thereof, and almost never dabs.  Dabbing is the dead give away you lost the balance point.

A plated 500 is what I would buy if I wanted only to rip Anza Borrego, and Glamis/Superstition, and steep baby head climbs.  Lighter bikes with HUGE suspension travel, heck you can sometimes just hold it open and float over all kinds of trouble.

But if you want to carry enough gear to camp comfortably, and sport tour all over the country, and still ride BDR's and all kinds of intermediate trails.... well there's a whole class of bike that's exploded upon the industry that accomplish just that.

I apologize for the wordy responses.  It takes a master of language to do a good job of conveying a message in as few words as possible, and creating a clear picture for all the readers.  I know I could use some improvement there.  Probably the most concise thing about this topic I could say is ....

It's easier Felt, then Tell't.

Grab a friend who enjoys off roading his ADV bike and get out there.  Stop and talk after a tough section.  How did you do there?, what went wrong?  Do you know why?, Let's try that again!, or, Let's just bomb over to Tecate for some incredible tacos and then rip down 94 back home.

It's good to have options!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Every Bike has his Pros and Cones.

See.  JaJa is much better at talking about this.  Thanks Udo.

14 minutes ago, Zubb said:

I think the red sand in South Africa has a bit more traction that we have here, but regardless... his balance front/back and side/side is perfect for the most part.  He knows what angle to take up the dunes, and how to manage his speed or lack thereof, and almost never dabs.  Dabbing is the dead give away you lost the balance point.

You'll see him come off the pegs a couple times in this vid, but it doesn't appear to be because he got out of balance.  He is lightening the bike and pushing to get through deeper slow spots.  He also rides with one hand through some spots.  You can't do that if you are out of balance (trying to hang on!).  Great flow.

For enquiring minds, he runs RallZ's front and back at 28-32 lbs.  That's exactly what I prefer to run off road.

• Like 1

Thanks Zubb for the reply.  Yes, Travel is the only reason. To have a big bike.

Ive done that, FJR,  and tired of it.  A truck plus a bike works well for me.

As Udo says,,,,,

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am in love with the momentum developed on a bigger bike.  I have honestly found some nasty rocky climbs to be easier on my 1090 than even my 200.  Mostly because of the momentum and the balance like Zubb says.  Once centered on the bigger bike it takes way more to get me off balance again.  I am no where near a big guy at 5-9, 175 pounds but I I really enjoy pushing the big bike hard.  I miss my 500 that Crawford bought, i'd get another one of those but for now i'm good on the 1090.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zubb said:

I apologize for the wordy responses. 

Never!    It's an excellent explanation...

• Like 1

What I like is the sense of accomplishment when you make it through a tough section on a big bike. 

Everytime I read Zubb's writing, I feel the need to ride!

• Like 3

Excellent write up on your trip to AZ! Also great info about big bike stuff. I grew up riding/racing lightweight 2 strokes. Then got into road bikes but still had the desire to get back in the dirt. So I decided to take the big bike plunge. The KTM 1290 R is an amazing machine. I have few hundred miles on it now trying to do my best imitation of my former self on a CR250. It’s quite the steep learning curve. Sand is an adventure but completely doable on a big bike. I agree with everything Zubb stated about learning to flow with the bike. Don’t fight it! 

• Like 2