Sign in to follow this  
Ptkatoomer

Electric: Maybe they've finally figured it out

I would really like to try these out.  Although it won’t fit everyone’s wants/needs it would be good for a lot of people.  New technology is good for everyone.  

• Like 1

I expected them to be outrageously expensive... but $11k seems like a bargain after that amazing puff piece.  I wonder if 6 hours of trail riding would include 6 hours of Anza Borrego riding?

51 minutes ago, Zubb said:

I expected them to be outrageously expensive... but $11k seems like a bargain after that amazing puff piece.  I wonder if 6 hours of trail riding would include 6 hours of Anza Borrego riding?

You'd have to have it "plated" first! 😉 I don't know the rules on plating an "E" dirt-bike...but, as you mentioned, the price tag is surprising low. Hopefully, it will come in ORANGE...haha...

• Haha 1

Alta was right there as far a full size and functional motorcycle went. Glad to see this Swede company jump into this full moto type idea again. I heard they have had at least 2 top tier riders with testing and development.  Seb Tortelli for one. Josh Hill for 2

No gas, nearly no noise, well as much noise as my kids Barbie jeep ( long ago). Buuuut I don't know, I remember my points screwing up so I'll probably never figure all that mapping stuff out.

:)

Well thought out and designed from the ground up.  Looks to be coming from a riders point of view for sure.  The no sound thing still scares me as I think sometimes the noise of us helps.   Wonder how long it takes to charge up ?  Does it need special plugs to do so ?    It's amazing how much three D printing has changed the world in such a short time.

13 minutes ago, hobiee said:

Wonder how long it takes to charge up ?  Does it need special plugs to do so ?  

Hobster - in the Viddy it mentions "1-2 hours" for charging. I guess it depends on how long/much the throttle is twisted? No mention that I recall about "plugs" that I recall...

I have an old ('86) Club Car golf cart that I dropped two Chevy Volt lithium batteries in; does 30 mph and runs for days.  Picked up a couple of eBikes a couple of weeks ago and tweaked the settings to get them up to almost 30 mph as well.  I'm not a tree hugger and will never (never?) leave the gasser world, but this electric stuff is pretty fun!  And you get used to the quiet :)

• Like 1

Having a bit of experience with electric drivetrains in industrial equipment, I can't imagine your average 15 amp breaker being able to charge that in that time frame, let alone a Honda 2000 watt generator (which will be banned as of 2024 in California).

I would love one as a trail bike for the property behind my house, and maybe certain riding areas, but I definitely keep relying on my yz450 and KLR 650 for longer, more intense rides.

Also, for racing purposes, are the batteries quickly changeable? That would be the hot ticket.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rjg967 said:

Having a bit of experience with electric drivetrains in industrial equipment, I can't imagine your average 15 amp breaker being able to charge that in that time frame, let alone a Honda 2000 watt generator (which will be banned as of 2024 in California).

I would love one as a trail bike for the property behind my house, and maybe certain riding areas, but I definitely keep relying on my yz450 and KLR 650 for longer, more intense rides.

Also, for racing purposes, are the batteries quickly changeable? That would be the hot ticket.

Yes, a quick charge will require a dedicated high amperage circuit.  They likely could be charged by a standard outlet but it would be very slow.

Hot swappable batteries would be the real ticket.  I watched the entire video hoping to hear that but it wasn’t mentioned.

42 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Hot swappable batteries would be the real ticket.  I watched the entire video hoping to hear that but it wasn’t mentioned.

Well, it is a "track bike" and not a dual sport bike...love the idea for the track but, where's the kick start lever for back up?! Haha...

Maybe the Monster Energy Supercross Series will sponsor an all "E" bike series? I think I heard/saw that NASCAR is doing an all "E" series for cars? 

Fans of the ride/sport would miss the roar, thunder, brrrrrp or screech of the gas motor but, maybe silence becomes golden? 

Separating the E from the G series...I say let them compete together, same for autos as well. Just think of it, the competition will be great for the fans for both modes. 😃

• Like 1

The thought of going to a Supercross race and watching the  bikes ride around in silence just depresses me......

On 12/14/2021 at 7:47 PM, Dress4Less said:

Well, it is a "track bike" and not a dual sport bike...love the idea for the track but, where's the kick start lever for back up?! Haha...

Maybe the Monster Energy Supercross Series will sponsor an all "E" bike series? I think I heard/saw that NASCAR is doing an all "E" series for cars? 

Fans of the ride/sport would miss the roar, thunder, brrrrrp or screech of the gas motor but, maybe silence becomes golden? 

There is formula E, it was recently a big deal in an Indy series where they did a battery swap in a pit stop rather than swap the entire car.

They have a long way to go yet. Especially before it becomes remotely affordable to the average Joe.

KTM  needs to buy them out so it can happen . LOL