ECDave

Anza Borrego 12/11 fun canyons

I started out early, bundled up for the freezing ride over the mountain. You know it's cold when the puddles are frozen over. 90 uneventful miles later I pulled off at Canyon Sin Nombre. Fun canyon number 1 was a good warm up, sandy enough to get my attention but not too difficult. one of those curvy sand washes where you get in it and go. IMG_0076.jpg.00cd622b1fed16c810dd2c1d3c71cd6b.jpg

at the end of the canyon, in the big wash intersection I went left and then right. I use an old phone and the Gaia app for a gps. turns out that the trails dont show up very well on it! Not knowing where I am going I entered into fun canyon#2. this is one of the deep canyons that for some reason I just cant get enough of. I guess they are my happy place!IMG_0078.jpg.c3a82d68e6051634d4e773bb84109218.jpg 

IMG_0079.jpg.731e6968f84e75057e6a5810232d8ede.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg.e98923aff0db143054349278b103780c.jpg

Wow! what a canyon, around every turn was another awesome view or another chance to dump it! I catch myself sight seeing and not paying attention to the front wheel. after the 35th time loosing the front end I finally relaxed and let the bike do it's thing. After what felt like 30 miles (big bikes are slow in the rough stuff,or it's me) it wasn't 30 miles, I got to the top of the wash and passed a sign that said Diablo Drop. I know enough about Anza Borrego that this is one of the places I need to visit. So I make the right turn and go see it.IMG_0081.jpg.c59cd9dfeeef55390a616229aa067196.jpg

Wow! that's no joke! I can see why it has it's reputation. Someday when I am not alone I will attempt it, but not today! I met a fun group that was attempting to make it to Truckhaven , but lost one of their friends along the way. They were impressed with the size of my muffler and the fact that I made it out there. So not really knowing the best way out, I made the decision to return the way I got here. Running down the wash was better than going up it. 

At this point I was starving! I had a plan to attatch my lunch to the bike somewhere near the exhaust to heat it up but chickened out because I didnt want to loose it. So I waited until I got to the bottom of the canyon and pulled over to cook.IMG_0082.jpg.bc6720cb1fea0a08b8c3199ce8dbaf4c.jpg

It didnt work! the bike cooled down too fast. Oh well, cold lunch is better than no lunch. I really need to work on my riding food, last time all i had was cookies!

IMG_0083.jpg.3db2befd9918a8ccdca97804de78e728.jpg

After that it was time to head for home. I found Vallecito wash and knew from the last ride that this was my route out to the highway. going up banner was fun, I am getting more comfortable with the fast turns and there was very little traffic.

Thats it for ride report #2 I think the pictures are getting better!

• Like 5

Ha ha, that "fun group" is my friends and I am the lost rider.  One rider didn't wait at one of the turns and I kept going.  When I got to Diablo drop-off I didn't know they had went back to the trucks looking for me and I went down the drop by myself thinking I would see them in Fish Creek.  I called them from the Iron Door and drank beer while waiting for them to drive all the way around to pick me up.  I had a great day in the desert, them not so much.

• Haha 2

GREAT report!  Thanks for sharing and riding that bike where YOU want to go!