Sign in to follow this  
Sneeker

Oak Grove - Chihuahua Valley - Iron Mtn

Well its been awhile since I've written a ride report or even ridden for that matter.  A favorite place to day ride for me was the BLM land north of Warner Springs and east of Oak Grove.  I hadn't been there in 3 or 4 years and wanted reconnoiter the trail network for closures and quality.

Rain or snow always helps.  There was no help, just rock and chollas.

There were a few sections that I had to flog the little XR to get up, all clutch work in 2nd gear to keep traction.  

PreChunks.jpg

There was a locked gate on the Oak Grove side of Iron Mtn that I didn't remember from back in the day.  It was getting late and I had to back track miles to a trail bypass in my GPS I didn't remember ever loading.  The trail went through but I never want to do that one again, rocks, boulders, dry water falls, super degraded trail.  Lucky to get back to the main road by twilight.  My headlight on the XR is crap.

Beer and sandwiches at Oak Grove CG base camp.

All's well that ends well!

OakGrove_CG.jpg

• Like 3

I remember giving up on that climb several years past. Can’t remember what bike I was on. That is my excuse.  😎

Thanks for for the info.

Sneeker,  glad to see you back !  It's been a long time. !  Thanks for posting your ride report. 

Yeah, that up trail on a kicker is a ball buster.  The clutch on the 250 was howling for a section or two.

Mimi, we rode out there years ago and took a stab at that up trail.  I got pitched off my moto in the deep sand at the bottom and nearly landed on a rattler.  We picked our battle that day and decided to put our energy in Coyote Canyon if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sneeker said:

Yeah, that up trail on a kicker is a ball buster.  The clutch on the 250 was howling for a section or two.

Mimi, we rode out there years ago and took a stab at that up trail.  I got pitched off my moto in the deep sand at the bottom and nearly landed on a rattler.  We picked our battle that day and decided to put our energy in Coyote Canyon if I recall correctly.

I remember that hill, and that rattler.😏

100_2492.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=
100_2496.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

• Like 1