dirt dame

We made goal!

Thanks so much for all the generous donations from all the members here over the last few days.  We made goal and topped 1200 dollars just now at 7:40 a.m. with the last donation by Bp619.  We can now plan to keep the SDAR website financially fueled for another year, while we figure out how to give it better brand appeal and a facelift.

“Brand Appeal and Facelift”

I know a guy that can advise you on that.

• Like 1

Thats Great Mimi !  Mabey a Fundraising drive every fall will be enough to keep it going without the complexity of doing a event. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kkug said:

Thats Great Mimi !  Mabey a Fundraising drive every fall will be enough to keep it going without the complexity of doing a event. 

I think having an event is a good idea. It gets people from the group involved, it gets some of the motorcycle industry involved and it likely brings in new members.  

6 minutes ago, tntmo said:

I think having an event is a good idea. It gets people from the group involved, it gets some of the motorcycle industry involved and it likely brings in new members.  

We used to have lots of smaller club rides back in the day.  Not many rides are posted on this forum, these days, and some of those are not very  coherent or detailed, leaving a lot to be desired both in the invitation and the resulting ride report.  What are people supposed to make of these cryptic postings?  We have some good ride posts, but we need more.  A big event is nice to keep the club's name visible and memorable, but we really need lots of grass roots participation also.  We used to have rides that had up to 20 or 30 people joining in, and while I don't generally like rides that big, it's fun to have them once in a while.  Kawee put on great newbie rides, one of them complete with a home made burrito lunch stop, as I recall.  Seems like there were 3 or 4 Big Bear rides per year that drew a good crowd (and by crowd, I mean a dozen or less riders).  We probably need more meet and greet supper get togethers as well, and more tech days, just more socializing in general.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dirt dame said:

Thanks so much for all the generous donations from all the members here over the last few days.  We made goal and topped 1200 dollars just now at 7:40 a.m. with the last donation by Bp619.  We can now plan to keep the SDAR website financially fueled for another year, while we figure out how to give it better brand appeal and a facelift.

Great news- thanks for letting us know!

11 hours ago, dirt dame said:

We used to have lots of smaller club rides back in the day.  Not many rides are posted on this forum, these days, and some of those are not very  coherent or detailed, leaving a lot to be desired both in the invitation and the resulting ride report.  What are people supposed to make of these cryptic postings?  We have some good ride posts, but we need more.

I know that I am beating a dead horse, but I'll put in my .02 anyway. I never understood why somebody posted up a ride and then instead of keeping it all together had to post a completely separate ride report.  You had to go look at the original thread that started the ride to see what was happening and discussed, and then go look at the separate ride report-talk about disjointed and incoherent.  I'm not saying that is what diminished the page but it did affect my way of looking at it. 

Again, just my .02 (to hopefully make the page better).  Congrats on getting the funds to keep the page alive!!

7 minutes ago, dirt dame said:

Had a couple more donations last night.  Thank you to all!

But don't stop now!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I know that I am beating a dead horse, but I'll put in my .02 anyway. I never understood why somebody posted up a ride and then instead of keeping it all together had to post a completely separate ride report.  You had to go look at the original thread that started the ride to see what was happening and discussed, and then go look at the separate ride report-talk about disjointed and incoherent.  I'm not saying that is what diminished the page but it did affect my way of looking at it. 

Since this has been a very positive thread, I didn't want to post a response to you here, but since you brought it up AGAIN, I feel the need to respond.

We're  not going to make a big deal about it, but I guess I need to explain this again.

Here are the reasons we request (yes, it's just a request) that ride reports be posted separately from the original upcoming informal local ride post.

Say someone new and/or a guest is looking at our forums and wants to see ride reports to see what type of rides have happened here. They will go to the Ride Reports section.

If you post your ride report in response to your original Upcoming Local Ride post, then that new person /potential SDAR member may not see all the photos and posts from the ride report, because it's not posted in the proper section. They may think, "these guys really aren't riding that much".

So by not posting it in ride reports, you are taking away from the cool content of this forum. The only people who will look for your posts in response to the original upcoming ride post are the regulars here and the people who were on the ride. This forum is about more than just the regulars here, it is also about trying to attract potential new members who may help support SDAR in the future.

If people post topics anywhere they want here, then it would be a jumbled mess with no semblance of order.

Hope this makes sense and you can disagree if you want and we aren't going to enforce it, we're just trying to maintain some order and do what's best, and not what's just the most convenient. I think most people understand this, because most start a new post for their ride report. I really don't think it's all that much to ask.

Thanks.

On another note, thanks to everyone who has donated and helped keep our forums/website alive !  And like Paul said, don't stop now 😁  It's always nice to have a little in reserve.

“But don’t stop now”

So we got through the Survival mode. Next Up, Where are we going? What are the priorities? What is the personality of this forum? Is it just about making money or is there a larger, dare I say mission?

💁‍♂️

26 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

“But don’t stop now”

So we got through the Survival mode. Next Up, Where are we going? What are the priorities? What is the personality of this forum? Is it just about making money or is there a larger, dare I say mission?

💁‍♂️

Dave, it's never been about making money.

We are in the process of changing over the main hosting service to a more user friendly platform since the current Linode service is convoluted and we can't find anyone to handle it. There will be a labor cost to change over the service.

Mimi has lots of good ideas for the future and with some input from me and help from other members,  I'm confident things will move forward positively. 

As many of you know, my help and input will be limited since we are traveling Mexico, Central and South America for the next couple of years. 

Just to be clear, Mimi is the treasurer and handles all the donations and finances now, neither she nor I use any of it for personal use or gain.

• Like 2

Thank You Randy. A clear statement like that goes a long way to getting people behind the effort.

I have enjoyed your travel reports from Mexico. Best of luck on your travels.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 8:21 AM, KTMrad said:

Dave, it's never been about making money.

We are in the process of changing over the main hosting service to a more user friendly platform since the current Linode service is convoluted and we can't find anyone to handle it. There will be a labor cost to change over the service.

Mimi has lots of good ideas for the future and with some input from me and help from other members,  I'm confident things will move forward positively. 

As many of you know, my help and input will be limited since we are traveling Mexico, Central and South America for the next couple of years. 

Just to be clear, Mimi is the treasurer and handles all the donations and finances now, neither she nor I use any of it for personal use or gain.

By the way, Leaseweb is very nice server company with easy navigation tools.  I already have access to the site and know the customer service people by name over there.  They are very helpful.

53 minutes ago, dirt dame said:

By the way, Leaseweb is very nice server company with easy navigation tools.  I already have access to the site and know the customer service people by name over there.  They are very helpful.

Cool. But you can't do all that type of computer stuff, right ?

We have only found 1 person to handle our needs and if it works out, she will use the current platform and servers she uses since she is familiar with it and hosts/ maintains about 10 websites. 

1 hour ago, dirt dame said:
On 11/30/2021 at 8:21 AM, KTMrad said:

20 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

We have only found 1 person to handle our needs and if it works out, she will use the current platform and servers she uses since she is familiar with it and hosts/ maintains about 10 websites. 

Sorry.  I was confused by the top quote.  I thought you didn't like Linode.

1 hour ago, dirt dame said:

Sorry.  I was confused by the top quote.  I thought you didn't like Linode.

True, we are getting rid of Linode, and since we haven't found someone else to take over, Elena will switch everything over to her server and platform, which she is familiar with, if it works out. We still have some hurdles to overcome,  I'm dealing with it.

• Like 1