dirt dame

Plans for New Club Event & Other SDAR Stuff

We had 7 members turn out for the supper/discussion last night.  Good food, lots of thoughts and ideas shared.  We will move forward to see how the permit situation looks, and there were a couple of other issues that need to be addressed.  The next event meeting will be announced for sometime in the middle of December.  We are now about one third of the way to monetary goal for keeping the forum up and running for 2022.

9 minutes ago, dirt dame said:

We had 7 members turn out for the supper/discussion last night.  Good food, lots of thoughts and ideas shared.  We will move forward to see how the permit situation looks, and there were a couple of other issues that need to be addressed.  The next event meeting will be announced for sometime in the middle of December.  We are now about one third of the way to monetary goal for keeping the forum up and running for 2022.

Good news !  Ed Stovin was there, correct ?

9 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

Good news !  Ed Stovin was there, correct ?

Yes, he was.  He led most of the discussion and proposal of ideas.

Mimi thank you for leading and organizing last nights meeting.

I have no doubt that this club and forum will survive and thrive in near future.  Looking forward to helping where I can with 'next steps'.

• Like 2

Mimi,

My Dear Wife had an idea I thought worth considering. Something like a Go Fund Me campaign; only just on the forum. A thermometer or whatever that shows progress would rally the troops. 🤷🏼‍♂️  

We know this forum has the potential to be a for profit entity, but for now In the Life Saving mode, financial transparency is an asset ( to riff on CIDs comment). I personally don’t care about profit as long as the site is readable. My Goodness have you seen what they have done to ADVRider?

Personally, I will make an effort to add content so visitors have something to read. Bear With.

Bagstr

2 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Mimi,

My Dear Wife had an idea I thought worth considering. Something like a Go Fund Me campaign; only just on the forum. A thermometer or whatever that shows progress would rally the troops. 🤷🏼‍♂️  

We know this forum has the potential to be a for profit entity, but for now In the Life Saving mode, financial transparency is an asset ( to riff on CIDs comment). I personally don’t care about profit as long as the site is readable. My Goodness have you seen what they have done to ADVRider?

Personally, I will make an effort to add content so visitors have something to read. Bear With.

Bagstr

The link we have on the home page is a nice permanent feature, ready for a donation at any time.  As of 2 pm today, we are at 546 dollars....thanks to two more donations.

I don't really remember what Advrider looked like before.  I can tell that they use Xenforo software (preferred by a majority of forum style websites), and they are using a basic style layout.

I've been in AZ about 2 1/2 years now. I've joined a few clubs here. Arizona Trail Riders, Prescott Trail Riders, and Coconino Trail Riders. There are a few things in common with these clubs that I didn't see in SDAR. They are all successful clubs with a president, secretary, treasurer, etc. Sometimes one person takes on more than one of those roles. Another thing they have is annual membership dues. Usually about $25 per year. Maybe a mandatory dues requirement to have access to the site would help? Monthly meetings with a donation jar? Just brainstorming. If you would want to talk to any of the officials in either ATR or CTR for some help, let me know. I'll do what I can to get you in touch. I'm pretty sure they would be happy to help with ideas. I'm not to active with PTR so not sure about contacts there. I just sent in $25 and I hope you can keep it going. Good luck Mimi.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, amgems said:

I've been in AZ about 2 1/2 years now. I've joined a few clubs here. Arizona Trail Riders, Prescott Trail Riders, and Coconino Trail Riders. There are a few things in common with these clubs that I didn't see in SDAR. They are all successful clubs with a president, secretary, treasurer, etc. Sometimes one person takes on more than one of those roles. Another thing they have is annual membership dues. Usually about $25 per year. Maybe a mandatory dues requirement to have access to the site would help? Monthly meetings with a donation jar? Just brainstorming. If you would want to talk to any of the officials in either ATR or CTR for some help, let me know. I'll do what I can to get you in touch. I'm pretty sure they would be happy to help with ideas. I'm not to active with PTR so not sure about contacts there. I just sent in $25 and I hope you can keep it going. Good luck Mimi.

Thanks, and thanks!  We are now at the halfway point.  610 dollars.😺

Hey gang, its been awhile since I've been around here.  I've been buried in dad mode for the last three years.  I'm finally coming up for some air and hope to do some moto rides.

One thing I'll point out, that I'm sure many are already aware, is that most people have the ability to donate up to $300 per year non-itemized and get it back in their tax return.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/special-300-tax-deduction-helps-most-people-give-to-charity-this-year-even-if-they-dont-itemize

"Following special tax law changes made earlier this year, cash donations of up to $300 made before December 31, 2020, are now deductible when people file their taxes in 2021"

Donation sent.

I look forward to seeing you out on the trails soon.
-David

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sneeker said:

Hey gang, its been awhile since I've been around here.  I've been buried in dad mode for the last three years.  I'm finally coming up for some air and hope to do some moto rides.

One thing I'll point out, that I'm sure many are already aware, is that most people have the ability to donate up to $300 per year non-itemized and get it back in their tax return.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/special-300-tax-deduction-helps-most-people-give-to-charity-this-year-even-if-they-dont-itemize

"Following special tax law changes made earlier this year, cash donations of up to $300 made before December 31, 2020, are now deductible when people file their taxes in 2021"

Donation sent.

-David

Thanks Dave!

And thanks for yesterday's donations from Crawdaddy and Hodnettjj.  As of this morning, we have 681 dollars, so....getting a little closer all the time!

37 minutes ago, Sneeker said:

Donation sent.

-David

Thanks for your donation Dave.

That deduction applies to qualifying charities, we are not a charity.

Donation sent.

...and reminders sent out to friends who've committed, but not pushed the button yet.

I just want to share with everyone that this current push for a few donations is just to get us back up to a cruising altitude.  As Mimi and Ed and a handful of volunteers start putting ride events together (like the Desert Dash days), we should very easily have funds for ongoing costs, upgrades, and events.

So if you're thinking this club website is becoming an ongoing request for donations . . . . . . god-forbid.  No one wants that, and I can probably safely say that I doubt anyone in an administrative role here would want to continue if that was the intent.

As a community it will be easy peezy to make this a site that people will all WANT to partake and contribute to. @Bagstr you owe us ride reports !!!  And I'm encouraged by your promise to do so.  You've shamed me into getting off my arse and writing up a few myself.

So happy happy happy Thanksgiving everyone.  Here's to empty fuel tanks, worn-out tires, and roaring camp fires.

• Like 1

I didn't know all of the history/struggles on this forum as of late but another member directed me to this forum from another one we're both on. That's how I found it. I'll do my best to send traffic here as well and share my beginner content as well.

This is a good group and I've already benefited in multiple ways from a few on here. I've found a couple of great deals on here from guys who genuinely seemed happy to see another get into the sport. I've been given time from a few to genuinely teach me how to work on my bike which has allowed me the confidence to try some things on my own. This is a good group and have enjoyed the time I've shared with the few I've met so far.

It's definitely worth the investment for me. Donation sent.

• Like 1

Late to the party 
I echo some previous comments about meeting people on this site that I consider dear friends and phenomenal riding partners.
Gained a lot of knowledge along the way and have always enjoyed sharing pictures and stories of various moto adventures. 

Ride safe - Happy Turkey day  

Brap Brap...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, numpty said:

I didn't know all of the history/struggles on this forum as of late but another member directed me to this forum from another one we're both on. That's how I found it. I'll do my best to send traffic here as well and share my beginner content as well.

This is a good group and I've already benefited in multiple ways from a few on here. I've found a couple of great deals on here from guys who genuinely seemed happy to see another get into the sport. I've been given time from a few to genuinely teach me how to work on my bike which has allowed me the confidence to try some things on my own. This is a good group and have enjoyed the time I've shared with the few I've met so far.

It's definitely worth the investment for me. Donation sent.

Thank you!

Got a bunch of really nice donations today for SDAR while I was out riding.  I don't know all your screen names, but thank you so much!  We are close to our goal now with 1026 dollars as of 7:40, this evening!

Now let’s start posting some interesting content. I’ll try and post a ride report from my COBDR Ride this fall and then some of the dozens of other rides we’ve taken over the last few years.

CiD

Teaser pic. RiggerDan at Toroweap on a CORE ride to Bar 10

29BE9DAF-0204-475B-B028-9EA05C024152.jpeg

• Like 2

Great news, Mimi!  And great pic, CID!

I agree that interesting content is needed as well (and if I could make a suggestion: it does not matter where it is posted.  I always felt that starting a new ride report was silly and detracted from exactly this.  Just my .02).

Still here and watching; Happy Thanksgiving to you all (sorry to hijack but do not want to start and new Happy Thanksgiving thread!)!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dirt dame said:

Got a bunch of really nice donations today for SDAR while I was out riding.  I don't know all your screen names, but thank you so much!  We are close to our goal now with 1026 dollars as of 7:40, this evening!

Wow, great news...many thanks to all who have and will donate !

I think it’s just fine to post a few pictures and comments from a day ride that has been playing on a thread. Obviously if you want to post a real ride report we have a section for that. The bottom line is lets all just have a bunch of fun and share all the joy we’re having. Just my opinion.

teaser pic. 

A6896E67-79C9-432F-B64C-754053232F9B.jpeg

107009B6-553D-49C8-A9DC-876072695581.jpeg

34EBB3C6-59C5-41B1-BDE1-0EAEFB075CE5.jpeg

3076E216-2F46-40BF-A0EF-E9675CE03FE1.jpeg

505CE597-6DB3-4BE5-8D0F-724553AB553A.jpeg

• Like 1

We may have a new Admin to run the website. My friend Elena who I am staying with here in Mexico is very knowledgeable with website stuff, and she'll be digging into the forum software and front page of the site to see if she wants to be our webmaster. It does not matter that she is in Mexico, she can do everything remotely and she actually hosts other sites on her own server in the USA.

Judging by all the talking we've been doing, I think she'll be able to do it.

I'll keep you posted.

• Like 2

We are less than 200 bucks from our goal to get the money to run the website for next year.  Just a few more donations, and we will be all set!

• Like 1