dirt dame

Plans for New Club Event & Other SDAR Stuff

Five guests and three members currently online at 10:08 am. 

48 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Five guests and three members currently online at 10:08 am. 

Well...it IS the weekend. 

2 hours ago, dirt dame said:

Well...it IS the weekend. 

Yes it IS. 

I didn't even know - recall there was a FB page. That said I don't have a FB account either. I try and have a look here most days, but usually it's pretty quiet.  

FWIW, I check in each morning and evening.  Doesn't do me much good from Utah, but I still enjoy seeing what everyone is up to.  Will not go looking for the FB page.....

I moderate a Jeep page and saw the migration to FB there s well; it is kinda sad to me.  I prefer the simplicity and info on a forum and FB is just a jumbled mess to me (I rarely go on it and do not care for it).  I stop by the Jeep page every morning and evening as well, but traffic is slow; really hoping this does not happen here.

• Like 1

Bummer about the website, hard to participate in events from out of state. I think we have lost a lot of members due to the general fleeing from Cal. Without the website I'll never find anyone on the facebook mess.

8 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Yeah, time.

IF a forum like this can return to health, it's going to require a serious change in attitude (which it appears to have done!) and consistent positive messaging over a long period of time; people need to once again feel welcome and safe from personal attack.  Nobody wants to be in a group where they're not welcome. Maybe the site can move forward, away from the hostile environment for which it's become known.

So- Mimi...

How much money is necessary to keep this alive for a year of thoughtful community rebuilding?

We can tell from this thread there's still some skeptical interest from the legacy members who were once the foundation of the SDAR community.

Once (if?) the community is established and consistent, you'll have something of value to offer advertisers that can contribute to a cash-positive situation.

But it needs to be rebuilt first. 

Good question.  We did discuss this a little bit in the thread where I announced my new position as club president a while back.  Some of the cost has been erased as of this point in time, but we still need 66 bucks a month for the server, and unspecified fees for any IT help and updates we need from time to time.  And  there is a small fee every two years for the domain.  Since the donation button has been updated on the "cover" page to the forum, one member has donated 25 dollars, which only 23.72 (or something like that)of that ended up in the coffer.

I would like to see the site revamped a bit also.  Sort of drab and ho hum looking right n ow.  And yes, some day, advertising should follow.  Putting all our eggs in one basket by running an annual event doesn't leave the club anything to fall back on, if the event can't be put on, or doesn't attract enough participants to crack the nut.

2 minutes ago, dirt dame said:

but we still need 66 bucks a month for the server, and unspecified fees for any IT help we need from time to time.  

OK, so $66x12= $792 plus some IT- let's call it $1200 for the year.

Let's see if we can raise $1200 over the next week and see if we can buy us a year of opportunity. Mimi, will you make regular reports on progress?

I donated earlier (before the button change), but I'll throw in $50 today. I've met some of my best friends and riding buddies on what was SDAR, and I have an obligation to help. 

I know I'm not alone here- let's try.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Let's see if we can raise $1200 over the next week and see if we can buy us a year of opportunity. Mimi, will you make regular reports on progress?

I donated earlier (before the button change), but I'll throw in $50 today. I've met some of my best friends and riding buddies on what was SDAR, and I have an obligation to help. 

Thank you!🤩

52 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

I just added $30 to the cause

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, crfxer said:

I just added $30 to the cause

Thank you!

I just sent my $50.  I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of this site and still check it regularly. Sweeping Desert Dash with my son and friends was my can't miss event for several years. I very much hope you can restore this club to its earlier glory. Won't be easy, but what was once built can be built again. Good luck. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dstss said:

I just sent my $50.  I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of this site and still check it regularly. Sweeping Desert Dash with my son and friends was my can't miss event for several years. I very much hope you can restore this club to its earlier glory. Won't be easy, but what was once built can be built again. Good luck. 

Thank you!

Thank you for the last donation, last night from the person who's screen name I finally figured out from his post in a different thread.😂

3 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

I still can’t find the donate button on my iPad. What am I missing?

It should be on the cover or home page URL that appears before you go to the forum.  If you stay linked to the forum URL, you will have to go to this URLhttps://dualsport-sd.com/

Hi All, thanks for your comments and donations....we have high hopes that we can keep SDAR alive. I started SDAR 19 years ago and hope Mimi can keep it going with help from some of y'all.

Good to see interest in a positive move forwards.

Thanks.

Another donation sent. It’s great to finally have some transparency on what it cost to run the site. I think we’ve been asking for 10 plus years.

• Like 2

I monitor the side twice a day for the last 6/7 years. I donate not much to the Club live but attend most of the event if possible. Meet many guy/ girls thru the club and enjoy to get the feed and wheels into the dirt with them. See you tonight.

• Like 2