Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Sky Valley road reopens tomorrow 10/27/21

As many of you might remember, we had the Valley Fire in 2020. Skye Valley Road has been closed since then due to the fire burning through the area and particularly across the road. Fortunately the area has started to re-vegetate and fencing has been replaced/repaired. Feel free to pass this information along to your members and partners.

Sincerely,

Gabriel Padilla

OHV Area Manager

Forest Service

Cleveland National Forest,

Descanso Ranger District

p: 619-445-6235 x3433 
f: 619-445-1753

gabriel.padilla@usda.gov

3348 Alpine Blvd.
Alpine, CA 91901

www.fs.fed.us

1848084274_Screenshot2021-10-26at11-45-20SkyeValleyRoadwillreopenWednesday10272021-dirtbikeblazergmailcom-Gmail.thumb.png.87df7e2181139ac509f3a894a52ebe9e.png

Thanks Dirt Dame, 

If you know, or others may as well, is the entire biggest loop now open? (as in pinos espinoza and corte madera rds too)

For some time now, turning right (west) at 4 corners to go up to the top (almost) has been closed. It is a nice spot to chill while looking over at Corte Madera and west to the ocean. Hmmm, I have mtn biked spur meadow not too long ago, so not sure if that is open or closed too (a closed sign at the bottom, but not at the top, although most folks go down it, but don't think it is a one way trail(?)).  

1135455637_ScreenShot2021-10-26at2_21_25PM.thumb.png.bbcfcb9512319deee499863436919d91.png

30 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

Thanks Dirt Dame, 

If you know, or others may as well, is the entire biggest loop now open? (as in pinos espinoza and corte madera rds too)

For some time now, turning right (west) at 4 corners to go up to the top (almost) has been closed. It is a nice spot to chill while looking over at Corte Madera and west to the ocean. Hmmm, I have mtn biked spur meadow not too long ago, so not sure if that is open or closed too (a closed sign at the bottom, but not at the top, although most folks go down it, but don't think it is a one way trail(?)).  

Not sure about the through route, but seems like it should be open.  I always take the Spur Meadow trail when I ride up there (and it is not one way...that I know of), very seldom, the road.  I haven't been up there for a few years, so maybe I need to head out there and have a looky see.

This is good news!

We did Spur Meadow back in August and it was open all the way thru, and then down towards Espinoza Creek and the gate there was locked as it was also at Skye Valley and Corral Canyon. 

• Like 1

Another thing to check out next week.  I'll be going out on Wednesday (11/3) to do trail survey for the Clean Up day on Nov 6.

On 10/26/2021 at 2:33 PM, MacDuncan said:

Thanks Dirt Dame, 

1135455637_ScreenShot2021-10-26at2_21_25PM.thumb.png.bbcfcb9512319deee499863436919d91.png

@MacDuncan any idea what map this is or where you accessed it?

I’ve never done the full loop around Corral Canyon. What is the trail like?

8 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

8 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Most of the loop is fairly easy, even for larger bikes, but stretch of Corte Madera rd (formerly Espinoza truck trail)can change from year to year due to weather.  Some of it would be considered intermediate in the steeper sections, and after a winter of heavy rain, there could be a lot of erosion and deep washouts.

1 hour ago, dirt dame said:

Most of the loop is fairly easy, even for larger bikes, but stretch of Corte Madera rd (formerly Espinoza truck trail)can change from year to year due to weather.  Some of it would be considered intermediate in the steeper sections, and after a winter of heavy rain, there could be a lot of erosion and deep washouts.

Good info thanks. I remember years ago going north down the hill from the fire lookout was rough at the time. But, I was also on a pitbike..

Any idea how long the biggest loop takes? I will map out the mileage when I get a chance

3 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Good info thanks. I remember years ago going north down the hill from the fire lookout was rough at the time. But, I was also on a pitbike..

Any idea how long the biggest loop takes? I will map out the mileage when I get a chance

I never thought about how long it takes.  There are always rest stops, picture breaks and side routes.  the loop is an estimated 25 miles.  Never paid attention.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

The perimeter loop might take a half hour....but longer if you stop for photos and to take in the views.

I want to do it with our sidecar rig once we get it back on the road soon.

Edited by KTMrad

Goofy, all that was shared by others regarding the loop is correct, but even though it may be a casual ride for many, it can be fun to zip around the perimeter , especially if you just need a quick moto-spin on dirt (but no zip-zam-zoom around blind corners as other motorcycles may be looping on the other direction, and there are occasionally jeeps crawling about). For add-ons, you can always toss in the entrance from Pine Valley to Kernan, and after the loop toss in the glider port out-n-back, and then maybe Noble Canyon. We used to toss in Fred's canyon once atop Noble to zip back down to Kitchen Creek, but there are many posts addressing that portion of the playground.  It makes for a nice day from town.  (Sorry, I do not recall where I captured the pic in the earlier post).  cheers